An Apology

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Recently, in a now deleted post, I made a reference to Christianity that was deemed offensive to some.

In some ways, my intention was to be offensive, and in some ways not. The example I gave was hypothetical. I used it to try to put others in my shoes. Growing up as a non-Christian in a Christian world, it can be difficult to explain how things that Christians take for granted are not viewed as enthusiastically by us. I therefore picked an example that I felt would 'reverse the tables' in a sort, but in truth I went over the line.

When I chose that example, I admit that I used South Park as a reference, since I assumed that similar material would be fair game here - based on the content of other posts. Clearly, I was mistaken in that. While one particular person took extreme offense at this and IMHO went over the line in making it a personal tirade, during a discussion of the events I discovered that several others had been offended too - but had not made their positions known.

Therefore, to those who were offended but didn't speak up, I apologize for the reference, as it was indeed over the line. When crafting comedy, a careful line is necessary and I overstepped it. Just as I don't appreciate others offending my religion, so I should have avoided insulting yours.

Adding a coin, because this is a coin site - not a religious one.

Alexarchos.jpg.dbc522a41d1407ff5a97e0c290cda4e6.jpg

• Like 17

Kind of you to apologize!

Personally, I would be in favor of not having these types of dramatic events on the forum, or separate posts such as "I'm leaving" or this one, even though it is a nice apology. If people argue, I say mods just step in when it crosses a certain line and any further arguments and subsequent apologies can move to private message, in my opinion. Creating posts about it just kind of clogs up the forum and extends the event (again, recognizing that this a kind/conciliatory type of post)

Just my 2 cents!

• Like 4

@kirispupis- creating a topic apologizing about your joke made me admire you even more - as I already admire you from a numismatic point of view.

I can't say I took offense in that post. But I didn't like it. You are absolutely correct, this is a forum about coins (and history) and certainly I am not a person who takes things personally. In 20 years of being on the Internet and lots of forums I was attacked, sometimes directly. When I was younger I got really annoyed, as years went by, I realized not everything on the internet needs to be taken personally.

However,

42 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Just as I don't appreciate others offending my religion, so I should have avoided insulting yours.

this is a point that needs to be taken into consideration.

I don't go to church too often (in fact in the last 5 years I think I only entered a church once, when my mother died) but I am a religious man. I am Christian Ortodox, like most the people in my country. I have friends and colleagues who are Catholic, other minor Christian churches, Muslim, Jews, Hindi and, of course, atheists. I respect each and every one of them and religion is not a criteria for me when discussing with a person. All I want is mutual respect. I do not start discussions about religion and I do not accept somebody else to judge me/impose his or her beliefs.

A few years ago I had a girlfriend who was of a minor Christian religion. She followed some strict rules (did not celebrate Easter, did not eat pork). We got along well. Religion was not the cause of breakup. I didn't mock her beliefs, she didn't mock mine.

What makes me wonder is the fact that a lot of people (and I don't mean you directly) feel that it's absolutely normal to joke or mock a religion or religious symbols but overall they are very offended if somebody jokes about other sensitive topics, such as sexual orientation, nationality/race, weight. I was publicly shamed a few years ago on a Facebook group for misophonia support (a condition I suffer of) because I made a remark about fat women. It was not an attack from my side and, guess what, I am an overweight man. I didn't even mean it as an attack, but my words were interpreted and ...

I am not saying that opinions should not be free. In 2022 the trend is that some people get offended by anything. I avoid those people and I like free opinions. But not when they are insulting, especially for no reason.

A coin about tolerance and burying the hatchet

image.png.e4ddcbddc96aae860116c3f99db3d2e4.png

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 15

I echo wholeheartedly the words of @ambr0zie,

17 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

creating a topic apologizing about your joke made me admire you even more - as I already admire you from a numismatic point of view

The ability of us here to resolve issues with respect, understanding, and empathy is why I love this community so much. 

In that spirit, here is a coin depicting Concordia, goddess of harmony and peace.

image.png.3161f0a9c5094acfa13410e64c0cb7ed.png

• Like 14

• Benefactor
42 minutes ago, jfp7375 said:

Kind of you to apologize!

Personally, I would be in favor of not having these types of dramatic events on the forum, or separate posts such as "I'm leaving" or this one, even though it is a nice apology. If people argue, I say mods just step in when it crosses a certain line and any further arguments and subsequent apologies can move to private message, in my opinion. Creating posts about it just kind of clogs up the forum and extends the event (again, recognizing that this a kind/conciliatory type of post)

Just my 2 cents!

I agree with your statement, however I felt this was an unusual case.

Throwing aside my differences with one specific person who decided to make this personal across two forums, I realized that my comments had offended many others to whom I meant no harm. I therefore felt that it left a bad taste in the mouth to not apologize to them.

I certainly hope this particular post doesn't generate controversy because I'm not throwing a tantrum a la Cartman or asking for anyone or anything to change. I'm simply stating that I went too far in an analogy, wound up offending several of you, and for that I apologize.

Adding another coin. 🙂

amastris.jpg.4601cfd56574e18205cb39a5f56a2e58.jpg

Edited by kirispupis
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

reading that other thread kinda disgusted me, glad that those people stick to cointalk lol. don't think i'll be going to that site again

What happened on the other site?

56 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Recently, in a now deleted post, I made a reference to Christianity that was deemed offensive to some.

In some ways, my intention was to be offensive, and in some ways not. The example I gave was hypothetical. I used it to try to put others in my shoes. Growing up as a non-Christian in a Christian world, it can be difficult to explain how things that Christians take for granted are not viewed as enthusiastically by us. I therefore picked an example that I felt would 'reverse the tables' in a sort, but in truth I went over the line.

When I chose that example, I admit that I used South Park as a reference, since I assumed that similar material would be fair game here - based on the content of other posts. Clearly, I was mistaken in that. While one particular person took extreme offense at this and IMHO went over the line in making it a personal tirade, during a discussion of the events I discovered that several others had been offended too - but had not made their positions known.

Therefore, to those who were offended but didn't speak up, I apologize for the reference, as it was indeed over the line. When crafting comedy, a careful line is necessary and I overstepped it. Just as I don't appreciate others offending my religion, so I should have avoided insulting yours.

Adding a coin, because this is a coin site - not a religious one.

Alexarchos.jpg.dbc522a41d1407ff5a97e0c290cda4e6.jpg

For what it is worth, I think that your comments were acceptable, you clearly didn't even mean it as an insult to their religion. Unfortunately that person decided to take great offence and at that point what are you going to do? Nothing but bowing down would have pleased him, if it was not this he would have left because of something else. You do have to be tolerant to others belief and insulting somebody's religion is very bad, but you cannot hold everyone accountable to your own moral standards on the internet like that.

But I do value that you apologized because you clearly did not intentionally want to cause offence. Just keep in mind that while a lot of people were silently offended, others like myself silently thought that he was acting incredibly petty, demanding all those things.

For future reference, this forum should ideally not have any religion / politics though, those are nasty subjects that are not good for a cosy hobby forum.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

reading that other thread kinda disgusted me, glad that those people stick to cointalk lol. don't think i'll be going to that site again

It is not nice to talk bad about orher people who are no longer with us here and can’t defend themselves… it’s sub-par 👎🏿 and low energy 

• Like 1