The Time Period Game - year 2000 to year 2050

shanxi

image.png.ddbdc4c4fec28a1d87226a86de309fd6.png

Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus and Romanos II Porphyrogenitus
Solidus of the Byzantine Macedonian dynasty 950/955 AD; Material: Gold; Diameter: 20.00mm; Weight: 4.42g; Mint: Constantinopolis; Reference: Sear 1751; Obverse: Crowned facing busts of Constantine VII (on left), bearded, wearing loros, and Romanus II (on right), wearing chlamys pinned at right shoulder, jointly holding patriarchal cross with globular terminus between them. The Inscription reads: + COҺSTAҺT CЄ ROMAҺ AЧGG Ь R; Reverse: Half length bust of Christ Pantokrator facing, wearing nimbus cruciger with two pellets in each limb, pallium and colobium, right hand raised in benediction, book of Gospels cradled in left; single border. The Inscription reads: + IҺS XPS RЄX RЄGNANTIЧM.

• Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Another Raja Raja Chola stater, however this one can be dated to around 988 AD. It commemorates his victory over the Chera kingdom, given the Cheras worshipped Vishnu and had the bow as their emblem, this coin has on the obverse bottom right the 'divine feet' of Vishnu and the emblem bow. The battle is dated to around 988 AD, Raja Raja's 4th regnal year, as evident from various inscriptions from 988 AD onward mentioning him as 'Kandalur salai kalamarutta' (meaning victor of the battle that occurred at Kandalur Salai, a place in Chera kingdom) or 'Keralanthagan' meaning one who put an end to the Keralas/Cheras.

ch.png.5c5c06a875d4ee8c4bdbcb197f94868c.png

• Like 8

Germany, Saxony. Holy Roman Empire. Otto III, AD 983-1002. AR Pfennig (20mm, 1.35g, 7h). Otto-Adelheid type, Royal mint at Goslar. Obv: ✠D.IG[RA+R]E.X; Cross potent with O-D-D-O in angles. Rev: [✠A]TEA[HLHT]; Church tower. Ref: Hatz Typ III, 7; Dannenburg 1167.

image.jpeg.8e8815317a55e77da895db53ab7b9891.jpeg

• Like 8

England, AEthelred II (978-1016).  'CRVX' penny, c. 991-997.  York mint.

Obv. AEthelred left, with sceptre and diadem (mostly indicated by the two pellets at the ends of the ties).  +EDELRED REX ANGLO)X.

Rev. Small voided cross; CRVX in angles.  +SPERTGAR MO - E  (Swartgar, moneyer in Eboracum /York).  North 770; 'late transitional' (c. 995-7), variety D. (pp. 161-2), with further minor variants in the legends. Cf. 167 for the moneyer.

image.jpeg.7f13f71168c81e07b597db5c63ef7c86.jpeg

image.jpeg.e077079a58d3a7bf9d027e1263a4526c.jpeg

I like this one for combining the mint of York --a center of Viking settlement and rule over the earlier 10th century-- with a Scandinavian moneyer's name.  All there is to miss are the peck marks!  The 'men of York' were a fifth column during Svein Forkbeard's invasion toward the end of AEthelred's reign, and supported Anglo-Danish interests as late as the half-Danish earl Waltheof's revolt against William the Conqueror in 1069 (coinciding with the final Scandinavian invasion, by Sweyn II Estridsson of Denmark) and 1076.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 hours ago, Edessa said:

Germany, Saxony. Holy Roman Empire. Otto III, AD 983-1002. AR Pfennig (20mm, 1.35g, 7h). Otto-Adelheid type, Royal mint at Goslar. Obv: ✠D.IG[RA+R]E.X; Cross potent with O-D-D-O in angles. Rev: [✠A]TEA[HLHT]; Church tower. Ref: Hatz Typ III, 7; Dannenburg 1167.

image.jpeg.8e8815317a55e77da895db53ab7b9891.jpeg

@Edessa, that's the best example of these I can remember having seen, especially for the (endemically nonexistent) legends.  If I saw one like this at auction, I'd put some money on it!  Meanwhile, thanks for your full rendition of the legends.

The thirty-second period starts - year 1000 to 1050.

We have a some  byzantine emperors and empresses in this period:   Basil II, Constantine VIII, Romanos III, Michael IV and V, Zoe and Theodora

Holy Roman German emperors: Otto III, Heinrich II, Konrad II, Heinrich III

In China: The Northern Song Dynasty with the emperors Zhenzong and Renzong and the Liao Dynasty

For the rest of the word, e.g:. Islamic Seljuks, Islamic Sultanates, Islamic  al-Andalus, Buyids, the Khmer Kingdom,  and many more  

For two days it is 

year 1000 to the year 1050

And remember: This is not only for exactly datable coins, but for all coins which fit in the time period, worldwide; i.e. all coins which were at least probably/possibly minted during this period

• Like 4

• shanxi changed the title to The Time Period Game - now year 1000 to year 1050

image.png.f50a05dc6c65408fe6dc57da08af3db6.png

Romanos III Argyros
Histamenon Nomisma of the Byzantin Imperial Period 1028/1034 AD; Material: Gold; Diameter: 25.4mm; Weight: 4.41g; Mint: Constantinople; Reference: Sear 1819, BC 1819; Obverse: Christ Pantokrator enthroned facing, raising hand in benediction and holding book of Gospels. The Inscription reads: + IhS XIS REX REGNANTInm (Jesus Christ King of the Kings); Reverse: The Virgin standing facing, wearing pallium and maphorium and crowning Romanus, standing facing, wearing saccos and loros and holding globus cruciger; MΘ between their heads. The Inscription reads: ΘCE bOHΘ RωmAnω (by the grace of the Virgin, Romanus).

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

STOGETHER.jpg.aa73ce4528679c33987f32230358d569.jpg

Samgrama (Sangrama) 1003-1028 AD (Start of 1st Lohara dynasty)
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 18mm (5.45gr)
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated facing in half lotus position, with Nagari legend 'Sa to left 'm(n)gramara' to right
Reverse- King standing facing and sacrificing at altar holding trident, with Nagari legend 'jadeva' bottom right

• Like 8

6 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@Edessa, that's the best example of these I can remember having seen, especially for the (endemically nonexistent) legends.  If I saw one like this at auction, I'd put some money on it!  Meanwhile, thanks for your full rendition of the legends.

At least Dannenberg is online. There are a series of published "pamphlets" online by a David Ruckser that are very useful, as well as the de Wit collection catalogs. But it can certainly be fun to sort these out. One day we will have a complete Medieval European Coinage online. Perhaps with advances in AI, such things might actually happen within our lifetimes!

• Smile 1

Coming to this thread Reeeally late.  Here's one I'm pretty sure has never been posted.  (Sorry for the pics.)

http://historiccoinage.com/collection/images/coins/57543FM,ANJOU,GOS,OBV.JPG

http://historiccoinage.com/collection/images/coins/83604FM,ANJOU,GOS,REV.JPG

County of Anjou.  Geoffroy II, ‘Martel,’ 1040-1060.
AR denier of Angers.  
Obv. Cross, Alpha and Omega (A, W) suspended from either arm, in imitation of issues of Heribert I of Maine.
+GOSFRIDVS COIS (‘Gosfridus Comes;’ Count Geoffroy).
Rev. ‘FVLCO’ monogram (continued from issues of Foulques ‘Nerra,’ Comte d’Anjou 987-1040).
+VRBS AIDEO-AV (“Urbs Andegavis;’ City of Angers.)
Duplessy 369a (cf. 372 for obv. legend), Legros 656, Poey d’Avant 1469.  Cf. Duplessy 367-8 for the prototype of Foulques ‘Nerra.’

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Kashmir..ANTOGETHER(1).jpg.ec6d4e20e3757e9766bbba08053e4773.jpg

Ananta deva 1028-1076 AD (1st Lohara dynasty)
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 18mm (5.92gr)
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated
Reverse- King facing

@Spaniard, clueless as I am,  I so truly  need the sustained  efforts of you (and other duly esteemed  folks here --raise your hand?), toward showing the evolution of this series, whose historical significance effectiveluy defies comment.

• Thanks 1

The thirty-third period starts - year 1050 to 1100.

We have a some  byzantine emperors and empresses in this period:  Theodora, Constantine IX, Michael VI, Isaac I, Constantine X, Romanos IV, Michael VII, Nikephoros III and Alexios I.

Holy Roman German emperors: Heinrich III, Heinrich IV

In China: The Northern Song Dynasty with the emperors Renzong, Yingzhong, Shenzong, Zhezong and the Liao Dynasty

For the rest of the word, e.g:. Islamic Seljuks and other Islamic states, British, French, Armenian, Khmer and many more, many cities and small states minting their own coinage.

map of Europe

1100_CE_Europe_svg.png.5d4c7d1886c4242e536c154c2027de47.png

For two days it is 

year 1050 to the year 1100

And remember: This is not only for exactly datable coins, but for all coins which fit in the time period, worldwide; i.e. all coins which were at least probably/possibly minted during this period

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 4

• shanxi changed the title to The Time Period Game - now year 1050 to year 1100

British Anglo-Saxon, Kings of All England. Edward the Confessor, AD 1042-1066. AR Penny (20mm, 1.71g, 9h). Expanding cross type, heavy issue (BMC v, Hild. E). Lincoln mint; Asleikr, moneyer. Struck circa AD 1052-1053. Obv: Diademed bust left; scepter before. Rev: + OSLAC ON LINCOL(NE), voided short cross with expanding limbs and circle around pellet-in-circle in center. Ref: Freeman 215; Mossop 27 (dies A/b); North 823; SCBC 1177. Very Fine, deeply toned. From the Maxwell Collection. Ex Patrick Finn FPL 16 (1999), no. 97 with ticket; Ex Dr. R. J. Eaglen, Baldwin's 18 (12 Oct 1998), Lot 1439; Ex Spink Numismatic Circular XCV.7 (Sept 1987), no. 5098; Ex Spink Numismatic Circular LXXXIX.7/8 (July/August 1981), no. 5361. Ex CNG 115 (16 Sept 2020), Lot 1062.

image.jpeg.78b19e4c6d481cfe99df6cc1f03c5a8d.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.jpeg.f1823fbadf67d7ef62042b1c4af3ea77.jpeg

Castile-Leon.  Alfonso VI, 1073-1109.  AR dinero of Toledo, c. 1085 (following its capture) - (likely) 1091.

Obv. (From 1 o'clock:) /\NF\/S REX

Rev. Variant Christogram; +TOLET\/O:

(With a little imagination, this funly approaches a transliteration of the Arabic 'Ṭulayṭulah,' in contrast to later issues, which revert to the Classical Latin 'Toletum.')

MEC v. 6, 323.  (Cf. p. 215 for the likely dating of the issue's terminus, relative to a later, somewhat debased one.)

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

The thirty-fourth period starts - year 1100 to 1150.

We have a some  byzantine emperors and empresses in this period:   Alexios I, John II, Manuel I

Holy Roman German emperors: Heinrich V, Lothar III.

In China: The Northern Song Dynasty with the emperors Huizhong, Qinzong, the Western Xia Dynasty  and the Liao Dynasty

and too many across the world to mention them.

map of Europe 1130

map1130wikipedia.jpg.9c7e50786623ca3d3975d4472e091bd3.jpg

For two days it is 

year 1100 to the year 1150

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 5

• shanxi changed the title to The Time Period Game - now year 1100 to year 1150