How to remove iron oxide from silver.

leeshiel

• leeshiel changed the title to Hi Everyone

Sorry i asked for advice and how to clean iron oxide from a coin and received no answers, i also was polite to thank you for allowing me to join and didn't receive one welcome message i presumed a cleaning thread was taboo,

Regardless for anyone with interest i am manually cleaning with a thorn and soaking the Stephen penny in lemon juice it;s a rare  coin with only 13 recorded slowly but surely getting there.

hhh.PNG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

Oh, that was this coin cleaning thread?

So @leeshielyou got your answers and then you start deleting or editing the thread?

Well..that's a garbage move.

I didn't get a answer to my question i asked how to remove iron oxide do you see a post explaning how to remove it "NO"

Welcome to the forum @leeshiel..

Thanks for the updated photos it looks as if the results are turning out well..Years ago I used to buy and clean bronzes although obviously a different system is needed for silver, here's my last attempt...This was just soaked in distilled water/olive oil and then manually cleaned using different devises and a magnifying glass....I actually found it really relaxing...

20160107_Pictures2.jpg.7c6bafd01da1dcb8e11d3d0f62997c16.jpg.d59b663fb7ac13e54fde7b5bdb05052c.jpg20160107_Pictures1.jpg.46ed9be87e28f86f1dc0fcc012b4081d.jpg.6e74e6becff36a4cdc39ff15ee40b709.jpg

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 3

It doesn't matter. If everyone would do the same, you can just delete the forum because it's going to be useless. 

Sometimes you'll get the answer you want and sometimes you won't. Don't take it personally, this is how forums are. Maybe you get an useful answer after a week. But deleting pictures or posts is ridiculous. 

Edited by Mucius Scaevola
  • Yes 2
  • Popcorn 1

4 hours ago, leeshiel said:

Sorry i asked for advice and how to clean iron oxide from a coin and received no answers, i also was polite to thank you for allowing me to join and didn't receive one welcome message i presumed a cleaning thread was taboo,

Regardless for anyone with interest i am manually cleaning with a thorn and soaking the Stephen penny in lemon juice it;s a rare  coin with only 13 recorded slowly but surely getting there.

hhh.PNG

Welcome to the forum!

It's okay. I've posted here from close to the forum's beginning and I still occasionally post something that doesn't receive a response. It happens. On at least one occasion, I received a response only a week later.

If you post something that violates the rules, someone will likely tell you.

Deleting your posts will ensure that you don't receive an answer. What I don't understand is that someone did respond to your post, so you did receive an answer and then you deleted your posts. You can do what you want, and you must have had your reasons, which is fine, but just understand that if you do that then no one can help you.

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Welcome to the forum @leeshiel..

Thanks for the updated photos it looks as if the results are turning out well..Years ago I used to buy and clean bronzes although obviously a different system is needed for silver, here's my last attempt...This was just soaked in distilled water/olive oil and then manually cleaned using different devises and a magnifying glass....I actually found it really relaxing...

20160107_Pictures2.jpg.7c6bafd01da1dcb8e11d3d0f62997c16.jpg.d59b663fb7ac13e54fde7b5bdb05052c.jpg20160107_Pictures1.jpg.46ed9be87e28f86f1dc0fcc012b4081d.jpg.6e74e6becff36a4cdc39ff15ee40b709.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Spaniard nice result well done,

i have cleaned bronzes using the the same method with similar results but like you say different methods for silver, i have never cleaned a coin with iron oxide on before reason for my initial post.

• Like 1

• leeshiel changed the title to How to remove iron oxide from silver.
18 minutes ago, leeshiel said:

Thanks for the welcome Spaniard nice result well done,

i have cleaned bronzes using the the same method with similar results but like you say different methods for silver, i have never cleaned a coin with iron oxide on before reason for my initial post.

As I understand it, the metal of the coin is more important than the deposit, as the chemicals will damage silver and bronze differently. Obviously, if the deposit is reacting with the coin, that is a different story, but iron oxide wouldn't react with silver, since silver is less reactive than iron.

I don't think cleaning bronze in lemon juice is advisable, but it seems ok with silver, at least high quality silver.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

@leeshiel...I look forward to seeing the end result..Interesting idea using a thorn as a tool... How will you tone the coin?

Thank you most of the Staffordshire hoard was cleaned with a thorn i can't claim credit for the idea :-(, most likely liver of sulfer.

25 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Nice coin. What do you think it is? Maybe Stephen Cross Moline (Type 1), Rodbert on Cant?

Thank you, nearly right type 1 Rodbert London, ref EMC/SCBI NUMBER:2022.0414 in this link only 13 recorded including this coin. https://emc.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/advanced-results?rulername[]=Stephen&mint[]=London&MoneyerLemma[]=Rodbert&Find-spot=&emcnumb=&Preservation=&startdate=&enddate=&emc-scbi=