Hello! I'm new to Roman Coin collecting and would love some advice!

Hughie Dwyer

• Benefactor

Welcome! I've only skimmed this thread, but if nobody's suggested it already, Wildwinds.com is an excellent resource for quickly looking up and finding Roman Imperial Coins. Just use the drop-down menu at the Imperial home page (https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/i.html) to find the emperor, caesar, empress, or other royal figure you're looking for, and then click on the link for that person. When you get to the specific page you want -- let's say the page for Geta, at https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/geta/t.html -- you can scroll down the page (make sure you select the option showing thumbnails of the coins) to find what you're looking for, or use Ctrl-F to search for particular reverse types, legends, etc. There's usually one or more photo posted for each type, along with a full description, and various catalog numbers (RIC, RSC [Roman Silver Coins], and Sear RCV, for example) are usually provided.

Speaking of Sear, even before you decide whether you want to try to buy any or all of its five volumes, the introduction (essentially the same in all five volumes) can be read in full as a Google Books preview, for example for Vol. II (covering Nerva through the end of the Severans) at https://www.google.com/books/edition/Roman_Coins_and_Their_Values_Volume_2/mhuWDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=sear+"roman+coins"&printsec=frontcover . Plus there's enough there of the main part of the book -- all of the Nerva and Trajan sections and a good part of Hadrian, although none of those sections is nearly as comprehensive as the Late Roman volumes -- to give a pretty good idea of what it's like.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

Welcome, @Hughie Dwyer, and nice collection of coins! Most of the advice I would have provided has already been mentioned (this forum has some of the most knowledgeable ancients experts out there), so I will refrain from restating except for a few highlights:

• your coins all look genuine, and as another member already noted, you have a good eye
  • the grading seems off - EF typically refers to much less circulated coins - but I would go by "eye appeal" and what you find most attractive in your price range
  • the AE2 / AE3 designation is only used for late (~4th) century bronze and not denarii or earlier antoninianii like your Postumus
  • I agree that EBay is a minefield for the beginner but it is a good place for bargains once you get your sea legs under you

One other bit of advice I would give would be to do lots or research and "window shopping" for particular coin types that take your fancy. View / handle more coins than you buy in the beginning to build that knowledge and expertise. This is a lot easier now with the internet than in the days of physical catalogs. The more genuine ancients you view and preferably handle in person, the better you will become at recognizing the style, fabric and texture of genuine ancients versus fakes. I check out coins on both auction platforms like SixBid or Biddr but also peruse EBay as well. First and second century denarii are always a good place to start as the emperors are all very recognizable, and their styles will soon become second nature to you.

Lastly, I've found that this forum will always give you lots of ideas and new knowledge on which direction to take your collection or particular pieces which may be of interest.

Enjoy! 

• Like 4

Hello @Hughie Dwyer. Welcome to Nvmis Forvms. I like your Postumus antoninianus.

Lots of good advice has been offered, in this thread.

I'm a generalist collector. However, I have also specialized, to a certain extent, but not to the extent of being an expert, in many areas. Often, I'll see a coin, which seems interesting. Then, I'll buy the coin. Then, I'll learn all about the coin. Then, I'll buy more coins from that area, and sometimes I'll buy numismatic books about that area.

I've been collecting ancient and medieval coins for 4 years, and US coins before that. I have coins from ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the Byzantine Empire, ancient Africa, the ancient Middle East, ancient central Asia, ancient India, ancient and medieval China, medieval and modern Vietnam, modern Japan, medieval Europe, ancient Celtic coins, Spanish colonial coins from the New World, medieval and modern English coins, and US coins.

I've learned a lot of history, by collecting ancient and medieval coins. I've really enjoyed collecting coins. And, I've really enjoyed participating in several ancient coin forums, including this one.

One of my favorite resources is ACsearch. It allows you, to view many examples of coins from past auctions, by searching using key words. And, you can search for particular auctions from the past. If I remember correctly, you have to sign up with your email address, if you want to see high resolution photos of coins. But, it's free, unless you want to see the hammer prices.

ACsearch coin search : https://www.acsearch.info/ 

ACsearch auction search : https://www.acsearch.info/auctions.html 

Edited by sand
  • Like 3

Wow! So many more replies. Thank you.

@SteppenfoolYes, indeed, that was a coin from king_radio and thank you for tracking down the coin to the very auction it was bought from. Thank you also for all the great advice.

@Valentinian A very nice website. I will use it a lot. Thank you.

@Harry G Thank you, also, for some great advice. As well as @Spaniard and @John Conduitt.

Edited by Hughie Dwyer
  • Like 3

😀I just realised there was another page!😀

@CPK, @DonnaML, @Romismatist and @sand Thank you for your replies as well. Everyone is so helpful and kind on this forum!

DonnaML, thank you for your links and info- they are very helpful.

Romismatist, thank you for your pointers and advice.

Sand, thank you for your reply. You seem have a very nice collection. 

• Like 4