Do these look like bronze disease?

ComicMan

What I've heard from others more experienced than me on this forum - if it's crumbly (i.e., breaks apart when prodded with a toothpick) it could be BD. If it's solid it's likely malachite and fine.

But I would wait for people more experienced in such things than me to chime in first.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kali said:

Top coin, it looks fine, just a hard deposit.

The second coin, the photos are a bit blurry/bad to even tell.

Sorry the lighting sucks, and the coins are small so that was the best I could do. I will try again in the morning with some natural light. Thanks for reassuring about the first coin I was really worried about that one!

18 minutes ago, ewomack said:

What I've heard from others more experienced than me on this forum - if it's crumbly (i.e., breaks apart when prodded with a toothpick) it could be BD. If it's solid it's likely malachite and fine.

But I would wait for people more experienced in such things than me to chime in first.

Thanks for the input, I will try to see tomorrow.

They look ok. The green looks like it has been there a long time. If you cleaned them you might actually cause bd.

The top one is billon, so might be less likely to get bd anyway. I don’t know what the bottom coin is (not Roman Imperial anyway) but it might not be bronze either.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

They look ok. The green looks like it has been there a long time. If you cleaned them you might actually cause bd.

The top one is billon, so might be less likely to get bd anyway. I don’t know what the bottom coin is (not Roman Imperial anyway) but it might not be bronze either.

It is a bronze Greek from Amisos, I just posted it here because it was easier to make 1 post.

I think that both are fine. The Postumus above is billon with more silver than bronze, so risk f bronze disease should be low. The deposit does look more like malachite. The Amisos AE is likely fine too. The deposits there don't look too bright green, which indicates verdigris rather than bronze disease. Just my $0.02.

• Like 3
  • Yes 1