Julius caesar...How to acquire one?

Spaniard

Ok....Question is ..

What is the best value for money portrait of Julius Ceasar?

Actually let's just change that Question to...."The cheapest " way of obtaining a portrait  of the said man?

Note...None of the following coins are mine.  .

We've got Macedon, Thessonalica with Divus Augusta and Divus Julius ceasar struck under Tiberius .

LFi5c4YdfDf2Cj8Q6WGkz99ZJn3pa7.jpg.f13e6775dd197311400606abe4ff1383.jpg

Julius caesar Nikaia struck in the name of Vibius Panser..

9iMCM8jcqN6s2pJFPH7o5GqLG3BroB.jpg.75ab58cf94555932212d226779be4a31.jpg

The classic Divus Julius caesar and Divus Augustus galley coins..

6yELTd9j4FqX5m8J2KkDYB7dzQ935Y.jpg.8dae97fbf752ca245d3985d18aaa6dd3.jpg

Anything out there I'm missing???

Post your cheap Julius caesar coins please..

• Like 18

I think you are on the right path when it comes to a cheaper type: provincial, no silver.

There s also he dupondius issue with octavian. A bit more expensive, but imho a better type when it comes to value for money. Perhaps saving some cash for a longer time and go for that type? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

My personal advice - don't spend too much on the Thessalonica types. This is my personal point of view, again, others might disagree - but I find these coins dull and overrated just because they have Caesar's portrait. But I find this portrait very approximately engraved and dull. And I don't think it has a major historical value as it was struck long after Caesar's death.
All the examples I have seen, even the very modest ones, went for 50-60 euros minimum.

If you can't afford a Caesar coin from his time (and I can't), the galley dupondius is a very attractive coin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Spaniard said:

The classic Divus Julius caesar and Divus Augustus galley coins..

6yELTd9j4FqX5m8J2KkDYB7dzQ935Y.jpg.8dae97fbf752ca245d3985d18aaa6dd3.jpg

Reading the beginning of your post, I was thinking that one exactly, and to be more specific, one cut in half, they're really cheap if you're not looking for a pristine example

8e933904715e41538955fac749bb7489.jpg

JULIUS CAESAR and OCTAVIAN – Halved dupondius, Vienna (Gaul), ca. 36 BCE

•IM[P• DIVI•IVL•CAESAR•DIVI•F] bare headed portraits of Julius Caesar to left and [Octavian to right]
[C•I]•V Prow of galley to right, surmounted by superstructure and mast (CIV for Colonia Ivlia Viennensis)

33 mm – 10,58 gr
Ref : RPC # 517

Q

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

Reading the beginning of your post, I was thinking that one exactly, and to be more specific, one cut in half, they're really cheap if you're not looking for a pristine example

8e933904715e41538955fac749bb7489.jpg

•IM[P• DIVI•IVL•CAESAR•DIVI•F] bare headed portraits of Julius Caesar to left and [Octavian to right]
[C•I]•V Prow of galley to right, surmounted by superstructure and mast (CIV for Colonia Ivlia Viennensis)

Now that is fulfilling the brief precisely. Although you have to make sure you get the right half.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 2

image.jpeg.60f5c0c804e770308830ad02a86216e0.jpeg

Gaius Julius Caesar
Moneyer: Lucius Mussidius Longus
Denarius of the Roman Imperatorial Period 42 BC
Material: Silver
Diameter: 19mm
Weight: 3,71g
Mint: Rome
Reference: Crawford 494/39a, CRI 116, RSC 29, RBW 1742
Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatics London , Ex Burgan Numismatique / Maison Florange

Obverse:
Laureate head of Caesar, right. Border of dots.

Reverse:
Cornucopiae on globe; on left, rudder; on right, caduceus and apex. Border of dots. The Inscription reads: L MVSSIDIVS LONGVS for Lucius Mussidius Longus.

My actually only Oncle Julius coin …
  • Like 9
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

If you're looking to get any Julius Caesar coin for budget, you need patience, luck, and the time to search every nook and cranny of the internet. 

I got this portrait denarius with his comet issued under Augustus from Vcoins for under 100 dollars, it only took me few minutes (just to make sure it's actually Caesar) from the dealer listing the coin and me buying it.

Caesar.jpg.834c0920ad2d353440e280a9363f25a1.jpg

• Like 9

My only J.C. 'Portrait' coin, (from my 12 Caesars collection), is a (poor) 'Thessalonica one (c/w countermark)

JULIUS CAESAR countermarked - Augustus, Thessalonica, Macedonia, 28BC. 9.22gm., AE22mm. RPC 1555 Dupondius-Sestertius

JULIUS CAESAR countermarked - Augustus Thessalonica Macedonia 28BC RPC 1555 Dupondius-Sestertius.jpg

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Now that is fulfilling the brief precisely. Although you have to make sure you get the right half.

The right half is the left one. The other is Octavian

795cc4f8e6ed4e839a50bc19b8dc316d.jpg.028d9570227ee57ff6b5bfd45f8091a5.jpg

[•IM]P• [DIVI•IVL•CAE]SAR•DIVI•F bare headed portraits [of Julius Caesar to left] and Octavian to right
C•[I•V] Prow of galley to right, surmounted by superstructure and mast (CIV for Colonia Ivlia Viennensis)

31,5 mm – 9,96 gr
Ref : RPC # 517

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 10

14 hours ago, Spaniard said:

What is the best value for money portrait of Julius Ceasar?

IMHO this type:

Of course it is more expensive than the types shown, but it has the typical Caesar portrait, and you get two rare portraits on one coin.

normal_Marc_Anthony_Caesar.jpg.57f5554343abfd58ee4da8109917b15f.jpg

Marcus Antonius
AR-Denar, ca. 43 v.C.
mint in Gallia
Obv: M ANTON IMP Head of Marcus Antonius r., lituus behind
Rev: CAESAR DIC Laureate head of Julius Caesar r., jug behind
Ag, 3.81g, 18mm
Ref: Cr.: 488/1, Sydenham: 1165, Sear 118

• Like 11

When one collects the coins of the Triumvirs on a budget one learns to take what you can get and not quibble about condition. Here are three "budget" coins of three of the Triumvirs. The first, the denarius on top is of Julius Caesar. Not only is heavily worn, it was probably not well struck either. Also, although a portrait coin of Caesar, it is also a posthumous issue. Notice that the inscription calls him DIVI IVLI, his proper name and title after his death. It was probably minted ca, 41 BC. Still, it is a portrait coin of the then deified ruler. It is Sear 1428 (2nd version). The coin on the left, bottom is a denarius of Caesar's right hand man, Mark Antony, who was a member of the Second of the Triumvirates'. it is better shape and better struck with Sol on the reverse and the designation III VIR. it is Sear 1468. The third coin is well worn, poorly struck denarius of Sextus  Pompey, from the period of the Second Triumvirate. Again, this is posthumous issue by his son but showing his now deceased father, Gnaeus Pompey, the famous one from the First Triumvirate. This coin was issued just before Sextus was killed in battle and may explain the condition of the coin. It circulated for some time and is very worn. It also appears to be heavily debased and I have wondered if it might have been a fourree, however its weight of 3.75 is good and it may have acquired some of its darkness from heavy wear and debased silver from a ruler with his back to the wall when he issued it. Surprisingly, the actual image of Pompey is quite good. It came from the Rindge Collection. It is Sear 1392. Not the most beautiful coins on the block, but when collecting these guys, again, you take what you can get.1565408813_triumvirsobv.jpg.28d1345c833e16a4d9875ba69d3f5b16.jpg438422996_thumbnail_IMG_2443triumvirsrev.jpg.ded59ba90efbc2fb8654dd6ea002d5c9.jpg

• Like 13

A very cheap 'Julius Caesar'.

RPC345.jpg.2ca6835dd4b96b2437045217b9e37d4d.jpg

Domitian

Æ24, 7.25g
Philippi mint, 87 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DOM AVG GERM COS XIII; Head of Domitian, laureate, l.
Rev: COL AVG IVL PHILIPP; Three bases; on middle one, statue of Augustus in military dress crowned by statue of Divus Julius wearing toga, with DIVVS / AVG on base
RPC 345 (4 spec.).
Ex Musa, October 2021.

• Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

These four came from a Heritage Auction back in 2009. Only one was more than $200. While prices have risen, the point is that some well-worn examples of Julius are out there that should not totally break your budget. Just be patient.

The Caesarians. Julius Caesar. January-February 44 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.61g, 6h). Rome mint, Lifetime issue. M. Mettius, moneyer. Obv: CAESAR•IMP; Wreathed head right; lituus and simpulum behind. Rev: M METTIVS; Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory and scepter, resting her left elbow on shield set on celestial globe; G to left. Ref: Crawford 480/3; CRI 100; Sydenham 1056; RSC Caesar 34; RBW 1678 var. (reverse control letter). Toned nice Fine, bankers' marks on obverse. 

The Caesarians. Julius Caesar. 41 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.08g, 5h). Posthumous issue. Rome mint. L Flaminius Chilo, moneyer. Obv: Laureate head right within pelleted border. Rev: Goddess (Pax or Venus?) standing left, holding caduceus in right hand and scepter in left; L•FLAM[INIVS] downward to right, IIII•VIR upward to left; all within pelleted border. Ref: Crawford 485/1; CRI 113; Sydenham 1089; RSC Caesar 26; RBW-. Toned, near Fine, bankers' marks on obverse.

The Caesarians. Julius Caesar. 42 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.71g). Posthumous issue. Rome mint, L. Livineius Regulus, moneyer. Obv: Laureate head of Caesar right between laurel branch and winged caduceus. Rev: Bull charging right.; L•LIVINEIVS above, REGVLVS below. Ref: Crawford 494/24; CRI 115; Sydenham 1106; BMCRR Rome 4274; RSC Caesar 27; RBW 1730. Toned, near Fine, bankers' marks on obverse and reverse. CNG note: Sear suggests that this moneyer is the son of the praetor of the same name who served under Caesar in the African War. It has been proposed that the laurel branch and caduceus on either side of Caesar's head symbolize the peace and prosperity Caesar had hoped to restore to the Roman world by victories over his enemies.

The Caesarians. Julius Caesar. 40 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.76g, 11h). Posthumous issue. Rome mint, Tiberius Sempronius Graccus, moneyer. Obv: Laureate head of right, S-C in fields. Rev: TI•SEMPRONIVS above, GR[ACCVS] below, [Q•DESIG] downwards to left; Signum, aquila, plough, and decempeda (measuring rod). Rev: Crawford 525/4a; HCRI 327a; Sydenham 1129; RSC Caesar 47. Near Fine, irregular toning, small banker’s mark on obverse, 20% off-center. Rare.

image.jpeg.6b9f41a11a256faaae7098000cacab6b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Gasp 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1