Athens New Style from NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing

Thompson #? Mine 74

A oval flan which is quite uncommon. It was bought very cheap on eBay but it cleaned up better than I thought-a bargain. Something happened at this time, 42 obverse the second largest obverse die issuance seems to show stressful times. The symbol seems to be naval import quite a nice symbol large and well done. The 2 magistrate of the coiled serpent above appear again. A really nice and bold  Athena appears fully on this oval flan Well clear and artistic. The reverse suffers from the flan shape most of the ugly thick wreath is missing . The owl/amphora combo has a really heavily feathered owl looking not straight on but slightly down crudely revealing heavy feathered pants. barely grasps the elongated amphora . Die linked to Headdress of Isis above.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 92/1 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
30 mm 16.2 gm Thompson issue  74
Thompson catalogue: Obs1076/Rev Not in plates/NEW
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
on which month mark Δ control ?? below
2 magistrates : XENOCLES HARMOXENOS
RF symbol : Dolphin & Trident
All surrounded by an olive wreath

Dolphin_and_Trident-removebg-preview.png.b39bc257df2ce32189c84b3daf61f25b.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thompson # ? My #75                                                                                                                                                                                                 

This coin has those 2 magistrates for their 3rd and final appearance and the symbol is Roma! So these magistrates are pro-Roman A quite bold Athena, The reverse has a thick crude wreath, with a horrible Owl/amphora combo elongated amphora has a fluted neck is grasped barely by the heavy feathered bird. Both controls are recut so they must have been important. A modest 14 obverse dies but only produced for 7 months ending with H

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 91/0 BC

29.9 mm 16.4 gm Thompson issue  75
Thompson catalogue: Obs1122/Rev1123 NEW
on which month mark H/Z control ΣTΕ/ΔΑ below
2 magistrates : XENOCLES HARMOXENOS
RF symbol : Roma seated

ROMA_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.242331c3ad7f1090fd80801afc0413cf.png

• Like 3

Thompson #? Mine 76

This damaged coin  off centred coin is quite rare. It has once again 3 magistrates, the first magistrate is Kointos which is the Greek version of the Roman name Quintus. To wrap up the pollical affixation Roma is again reproduced but (partially off flan) is being crowned by Nike. It also obverse die linked to the previous coin Roma. A modest 7 obverses are known and it was only produced for the first 4 months. Why is Roma being crowned is pure speculation? Winning the social wars, a victory over Mithradatic partisans in Macedonia ( more likely I feel). An important  pro-Roman coin. R2

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 90/89 BC

30.5 mm 15.67 gm corroded Thompson issue 76
Thompson catalogue: 1128a
on which month mark Γ control ΠΡ below
3 magistrates : KOINTOS KLEAS DIONYSI
RF symbol : Roma & Nike

Roma_and_Nike-removebg-preview.png.ec174ecd05ad75950b7e51248f1b67a5.png

• Like 3

Thompson # ? Mine 77

This magnificent coin is the last ever 3 magistrate issue. It is drachm obverse linked to Nike crowning Roma above, important because this is undoubtedly a Mithradatic coin.

A good clear Athena is supported by spectacular reverse. Well cut letters although the ethnic is crowded and some of the names are cut into the wreath the names are clear. The 1st magistrate is Apellikon a well known individual. He represented Athens at the Pontic court, stole books from various libraries- attempted to take Delos from the Romans and failed miserably and was from Teos of which the symbol is the Griffin! 12 obverses 9 months, maybe coined with Pontic silver ? A fab coin.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 89/88 BC

32 mm 16.78 gm Thompson issue  77
Thompson catalogue: Obs:1131 Rev: Not in plates
on which month mark B control EΠ below
3 magistrates : APELLIKON GORGIAS DIOGE
RF symbol : Leaping Griffin

Athens_CNG_GRIFFIN_2011-removebg-preview.png.4bb1c225995f718025f9121f67ddb94f.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 4

Could not afford a R5 silver when it came up so had to do with a quite common bronze. This is a good one.

Athens AE2 Star & 2 Crescents Chalkous 87/6 BC

Obv: Athena in Corinthian helmet
Rev: Grounded fulminating Zeus advancing right about to hurl thunderbolt
ΑΘΕ
ethnic surrounding Zeus
Symbol RF: Pontic Star & 2 Crescents
AE2 (18mm) 9.05gm
Kroll 97 Mithradatic war issue King Mithradates & Aristion as magistrates

635043068_BRONZEAESTAR.jpg.59aea12615bcde99b9ddd0dddfbbc086.jpg

• Like 5

• Benefactor

Thank you, NewStyleKing, for posting these new style owls from your collection.  

Have you ever considered publishing a study based on your collection, either digitally or in print?  I think a work of that sort would help collectors who are trying to collect owls from this complex and fascinating period of Athenian coinage.

• Like 2

there is a few more to come!

33 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

Thank you, NewStyleKing, for posting these new style owls from your collection.  

Have you ever considered publishing a study based on your collection, either digitally or in print?  I think a work of that sort would help collectors who are trying to collect owls from this complex and fascinating period of Athenian coinage.

Steve

I Write all the time my ideas on the NewStyle and its frustrations with museums who don't act like they should. They appear under my full Name John Arnold Nisbet on academoia.edu. I use my own coins when I can!  Thanks. I love reading about coins more than the coins itself!

• Like 1

NOT a NewStyle !  An ethnic-less sort of copy minted by Marcus Lucullus  brother of Lucius Lucullus, one of Sulla's generals. Minted where is not known no doubt to pay his troops Bought from eBay.

A beautiful Athena, and look at those fully developed horse protomes, really reminiscent of the obverse of Hereklai et Lamon  stephanophore coins . ESG Robinson read the 2 monograms as Markoi ( Marcus) Tamioy ( treasurer) and it has been generally accepted.  A fat well modelled owl sits upon a nice in proportioned amphora. Better than most original NewStyles

Pseudo-Athenian New Style Tetradrachm c86-84 BC

Obs: Fine style head of Athena Parthenos with prominent highly artistic horse protomes.
Rev: Owl standing on panathenaic amphora
2 Monograms of Roman official Marcus Lucullus: Quaestor
MAPKOY TAMIOY
Name and office
!6.40gm 28.5mm
Thompson Sulla ll Obs: 1315 Rev: NEW?
All surrounded by olive wreath

671591541_MYSULLA.jpg.bb24447aa1ad18ca6be35b41a6ca635c.jpg

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 4

Thompson # 81 

All post Sullan siege coins are uncommon to very very rare. No one knows what were the first new NewStyles minted after the Romans prevailed. This could be the contender. Known from a paltry 7 obverses no obverse die links. A Beatyl is a stone which is or represents a deity and is worshipped as such, like the Emesa stone of Elagabalus. It is filleted meaning its ritually pure. The stone is a representation of Apollo.

It's  battered and worn but quiet well represented. Athena is crude in typical late style, the reverse is goodish, the owl/amphora combo is not bad, the owl has big feathers half turned grasping the nice amphora 2nd control off flan

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c84/3 BC

28 mm 16.47 gm Thompson issue 81 Thompson catalogue: Obs 1160 ? Rev: NEW
on which month mark B control [  ] below
2 magistrates : KLEOPHANES EPITHETHES
RF symbol : Beatyl with Fillets

Savoca_May_2017_Beatyl_with_Fillets-removebg-preview.png.e7138e6f4d487065f74e6dfd5a21ee75.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thompson issue #82

A rare coin R4 with a glued bit which don't detract. A heavy Athena with over large horse protomes. The reverse is also tentative  a thin wreath enclosing 2 magistrates names with well cut but crowded letters. The owl/amphora combo, well the owl is a disgrace! The elongated amphora is not much better. The symbol Isis wears a crown and holds a sistrum(?) in her right hand.  This issue is obversed die linked to Harmodios and Aristogeiton coin which I do not have. 7 obverses.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c83/2 BC

29 mm 16.82 gm Thompson issue 82 Thompson catalogue:ll69a
on which month mark Θ control ΔI below
2 magistrates : ARCHITIMOS DEMETRI
RF symbol : Isis

ISIS_Post_Sulla-removebg-preview.png.93e4d50230dbd69468c8597c90edfef0.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thompson # 83

R4. This slightly corroded coin has a broad faced Athena with tall horse protomes and straggly hair but a good Pegasos. The revers, A over large wreath Frames a clear if collided 2 magistrates names. The owl is fairly decent but the amphora is a bit elongated. The symbol Poppy between grain ears is a elysian reference. The 2nd magistrate oinophilos means wine drinker! Only 6 obverses, wine drinker appears again in the next coin which I don't have.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c82/1 BC

29 mm 16.82 gm Thompson issue 83 Thompson catalogue: Obs 1183 Rev: not in plates/ NEW
on which month mark K control ΔI below
2 magistrates : LYSANDROS OINOPHILOS
RF symbol : Poppy Head between 2 Grain Ears

1582694964_POPPY.png.af54d9dc684fb2c228738a632ceda3c3.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thompson/Nisbet # 1419ba

R4. This coin was sold to me years ago as a genuine NewStyle, but later found it was a very interesting imitation. It is quite a good imitation, but the doted lettering and on the horse protomes and other dotted features are not in the originals.  Athena is serene  but has straggly hair. The owl is like an over stuffed teddy bear but still is excellent whilst the elongated amphora is wonky! The 2nd magistrate has a spelling error All known examples with a clear amphora letter has an A. The symbol is identified as Mars (?) with some doubt. The genuine NewStyle Ares has 8 obverses and no die transfers. This imitation is known from 2 obverses and a handful of examples the ones sold recently I had to to tell the auctioneers!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c80/9 BC

obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
29mm 16.04gm Thompson (new) issue 85
Thompson catalogue: IMITATION 1419ba
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on
which month mark Α control ΔΙ below
2 magistrates : EUMELOS THEOXENID(E)S
RF symbol : Ares
All within a surrounding olive wreath

ARES.jpg.6442bdbcf6af445ead1726ce145b459b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thompson #86

A real ugly worn coin it is toning nicely now and the features are beginning to stand out! What a horrible Athena, what's going on with the pegasos and the horse protomes ? The reverse has big letters average owl with elongated amphora. Not a bad stag. 17 obverses are known. This very large emission must have a reason, it really stands out! Maybe the 2nd or 3rd Mithradatic wars could be it. The dating of all the post Sullan coins is just a guess really The next one after this has only 6 ! And then from the next after that the NewStyles are really really rare and obverses are often just a nominal number often one or two obverses.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm  c79/8 BC

30 mm 16.60 gm Thompson issue 86 Thompson catalogue: Obs 1217 Rev: New/Not in plates?
on which month mark ? control ? below
2 magistrates : NESTOR MNASEAS
RF symbol : Stag

NN_July_2018_STAG-removebg-preview.png.a45a43f2ef08af2fcff15d0d539b96f1.png

• Like 3

Thompson issue # 88.

R5 ONE OBVERSE KNOWN, TWO REVERSES. THREE EXAMPLES KNOWN!

Quite a nice Athena but what's going on with the horse protomes! The reverse is a joy! a standard average owl  with large staring eyes grasps a standard elongate amphora. Its the symbol that is everything Artemis ion the left and Demeter with long torch on the right. A frank elysian reference. From the Selton collection who were NY bankers who collected prime coins, but didn't do any research! Ownership was everything.

What use is a coinage with only one obverse, not much that is why I have written that these coins are the private minting of individuals or temples or corporations. The NewStyle had a symbolic meaning now, well that's my theory.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 71/70 BC

28 mm 16.97 gm Thompson issue 88
Thompson catalogue: Obs 1229 ? Rev: New/Not in plates?
on which month mark ? ΔΙ below
2 magistrates : LEUKIOS , ANTIKRATHES
RF symbol : Demeter & Artemis

384.jpg.8971d718d49af2971d2089b3d56bb333.jpg

399035129_T1227aVerylateVerrareStacksDemeterArtemis.thumb.png.bea925e38f904d27fc69d514f7035978.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thompson  #  105

R5 I bought this coin from eBay for a song! It was all covered with hard encrustations and dark. It scrubbed up nice!

A remarkable Athena, good protomes and Pegasos, a very good depiction. The earrings are different from the normal  being Tri-partite and not plain dangly things .The reverse is flat struck around the edges and the lettering is crudely done. The owl has big bulbous staring eyes with heavy feathering and the legs are composed of dots and the talons are also. The massively elongated amphora is a disgrace! But the symbol Hygieia, is a joy arms encircling a vase probably to contain pure water. The lettering, Diokles To Dey means Diokles for the second time the coins show he produced 3 issues all with small emissions. Diokles is a known entity and was a priest of temples associated with health hence this coin can be reasonably dated at the almost end of the NewStyle.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 47 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet with tri-partite earrings
27mm 17.04gm Thompson issue 105
Thompson catalogue: Obs: I260 Rev::NEW
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on
which month mark A: control ΣΩ below
2 magistrates : DIOKLES TO DEY MEDEIOS
RF symbol : Hygieia
All within a surrounding olive wreath

BOYJ_DIOKLES_SILVER-removebg-preview.png.abfbeb31740dae05b4bbc54aec46af4b.png

• Like 3