Athens New Style from NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing

Now for something a little bit different at this stage, a very rare NewStyle imitation incorporating elements of the old style and 2 elements from the NewStyle. According to Margaret Thompson the obverse has elements of the very latter old style Athenian owls long after the mass classic owls, whilst this has a cicada and then the name Po maybe short for polu of the palm behind owl? It has a convincing owl / amphora combo but who made it I don't know, all I know is that it came from the same hoard as Thompson #1 and a few others I have so it circulated with true official coinage. I wish I knew where that hoard was found! A mystery coin. Notice that the owl has legs directly below the body stance even though he is partially on the handle. People who collect the old style appear to be unaware of the late old style types, before the NewStyle appeared.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c153/2 BC

Obs : Athena-mixture of old style styles
32.5mm 16.27g Die axis: 6 o'clock
Thompson catalogue : IMITATION
Obs : 1350 Rev : NEW
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic Above symbol LF Cicada
Below ΠΟ
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
All within a surrounding olive wreath

BOTH_IMITATION_CICADA-removebg-preview.png.5adbc646a47bb8bd868f7c0bfe5a92b0.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 8

Thompson #17 A quiet nice Athena. The reverse has once again Ammo and Dio from the Kernos reverse. The owl has legs splayed and is not face on but the legs seem precariously and indeed hovering over the nice large amphora. The symbol Cornucopia. It has only one control which is the 2nd control under the amphora. This control is believed to be a reference to the source of the mine from which the silver came from. Why they dropped the 1st control , the amphora month control is anybody's guess. The ancients were not as methodical as we would like! The wreath is quite nice giving a large canvas to but the detail in .

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 148/7 BC

Obs: Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
31mm 16.59gm Thompson issue 17
Thompson catalogue: Obs 120/NEW?: Rev (not in plates)/ NEW?
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
2 magistrates : AMMO ΔΙΟ
LF symbol : Cornucopia
EY below amphora
All surrounded by an olive wreath

Cornucopia-removebg-preview.png.3d29fda03e90e52860518fa5b984a35d.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 7

Thompson #18

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 147/6 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
16.39 gm 33mm Thompson issue 18
Thompson catalogue : Obs 123b
Left Field control mark ΠΡΟ
2 magistrates : ΑΔΕΙ ΗΛΙΟ
RF symbol : Trident Head

This is a marvellous coin a lovely fat headed Athena. The reverse ( which I almost always prefer) is nice and compact within its wreath. A nice owl/amphora combo. A nice half front on owl whose head is pointed directly at you its quiet a fat thing with lovely delineated feathers, legs splayed on amphora base and grasping firmly the handle. Each side a single abbreviated magistrates. The ethnic is nice and neat above. A three lettered 2nd control in the left field and no 1st control on the amphora which itself is nice and bulbous. The symbol Trident is decorative and neat and tidy and large under the 2nd magistrate name. This is an absolutely lovely example. This is a replacement/upgrade-the only time I have do so and I got it right.

Savoca_TRIDENT_T_123b_MINE-removebg-preview.png.4ebe481939396e0ad74325a3d3502ee9.png

• Like 6

Thompson #19

This well worn coin, flat struck owl I love. The dies were well shot, and the oval flan is nice too! The Athena is long/narrow and is beautiful representation of a serene goddess, the reverse features a neat ethnic and well cut 2 magistrates names framing the owl/amphora combo. The owl as far as I can tell is a lovely neat narrower type of bird legs splayed on a bulbous amphora. A 2nd control is below left of the amphora there once again is no 1st control. The symbol is cock with palm behind. I believe this is a Delian symbol for a Greek god Apollo the rooster wakes you up in the morning calling up the new born sun. The wreath is heavy but is large leaving the framing and contents plenty of space. This obverse and reverse is not in Thompson and seems to have been found in the Gaziantep hoard see academia.edu under Andrew Meadows.

412300905_MYCOICKFSRBOTH.jpg.eac9ec4b9484f74fcdef59d269552aa6.jpg

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 146/5 BC

34 mm Thompson issue 19
Thompson catalogue: Obs Gaziantep 146?:Rev NEW?
below control mark ME
2 magistrates : XAPΙ ΗPA
RF symbol : Cock with Palm

• Like 5

Thompson #20 What a coin-it was jet black when I received it with Apollo below. Worn double struck reverse flat striking, it has it all.

Now around this time the Romans were not happy with Macedonia, since the NewStyle is a Roman proxy coinage, large numbers were coined and quickly to pay mercenaries for the Romans. They went back with the mercenaries to Thrace and circulated until buried. It also could be due to the problems in the Seleucid empire but I think Macedon is more likely.

A long narrow Athena on the obverse (see Thomson's plates for example of this) whilst the reverse is tightly framed by the wreath with the contents stuffed into the space. The owl is half on staring at you with thick slightly splayed  thick legs and heavy pants. The talons are ugly! A nice elongated amphora but it is at an angle in this example to make it fit the space I guess for all the detail it has a nice fluted neck . A large ethnic makes the remaining space even smaller below each part bisected by the owl/amphora combo is the only other partialogram of a magistrates name Pado ( No doubt to distinguish it) whilst the second magistrate is linear.

The symbol Forepart of Bridled Horse is full and well done, others of this issue have only a prefatory symbol that is unconvincing, but this the full hog.  Now we have 2 controls control 1 is again on the amphora with Gamma for the 3rd Athenian month and a 4 lettered 2nd control crushed in above the amphora base. It's all a bit crowded but I like it. It was as cheap as chips from eBay. At this time, notice how large the flans are. Still a nice coin been there done that.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 145/4 BC

16.70 gm 34.8mm Thompson issue 20
Thompson catalogue : Obs 160 : Rev NEW
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on which
month mark Γ : LF control mark ΣΦΑΙ
2 magistrates : ΠΑΔΩ ΛΥΣΙΑ
RF symbol :Forepart of Bridled Horse

16_Horse-removebg-preview.png.b5472ecde3de646761a0e99847eec34d.png

• Like 6

Thompson #21

This is a nice coin.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 144/3 BC

16.75gm 34mm Thompson issue 21
Thompson catalogue : Obs : GAZIANTEP 185 : Rev NEW
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on
which month mark Ε control ΤΙ below
2 complex magistrates monograms
RF symbol : Filleted Thyrsos

What an ugly Athena. Her headdress plumes are coming apart  and where is the pegasos  that should be above the visor swivel?  This obverse is not in Thompson plates but once again in the Gaziantep Hoard. Gaziantep is today at the Turkish Syrian border, so maybe this was a Roman proxy coinage for the troops of Alexander Ballas? Another large flan coin. It is in very good condition.

The reverse has a large thick wreath creating a large space for the contents. The owl/amphora combo is nice and clear with a  tall charming owl. But again with ugly talons with barely splayed legs straight down from the body perching awkwardly mainly on the nice bulbous amphora's body. The symbol is a filleted Thyrsos. Fileted means it's a religious object, the Thyrsos is a conducting wand used in the elysian ceremonies.

The 2 magistrates monograms ( back again!) are complex and look like a pair of wigwams.

Both controls are back again with the 5th Athenian month represented on the amphora, whilst the 2nd control is below the amphora.  There are circular dig marks apparent on the reverse where one believes its an attempt to remove some silver at the mint or a part of the framing process...who knows!

541912940_17_Thyrsos-removebg-preview(1).png.b8d649fe653ec446bb076ec386b516a0.png

• Like 6

Thompson #22

From the same hoard as Forepart of Horse  above. This ugly coin has, and I agree with with Margaret Thompson, possibly the ugliest portrait of Athena that was ever attempted-ugh! On the reverse an over thick poorly executed wreath crowds the contents with large lettered ethnic and 2 abbreviated magistrate names. The symbol is Apollo and is not convincing. Earlier types of this issue had a lovely action depiction of a statue of Apollo, maybe they changed to this was to create more room-why not makes the letters smaller unless the magistrates wanted big letters? The owl/amphora combo is huge dominating the reverse half twisted pose staring at the viewer, big thick pants ending with ugly talons splay legged awkwardly place at the base and half on the handle of a large amphora on which the 1st control is Theta, the eight Athenian month. Whilst the 2nd control nestles awkwardly beneath the amphora Base. Another large flan.

18_Apollo-removebg-preview.png.4dec5969caad436c32e9aa05905b6873.png

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 143/2 BC

16.00 gm 34.4mm Thompson issue 22
Thompson catalogue : Obs 188 : Rev NEW
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on which
month mark Θ below left control mark ME 2 magistrates : ΔΙΟΦΑ ΔΙΟΔΟ
LF symbol : Apollo

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 5

Thompson #23

This magnificent 35mm flan coin is only slightly worn (but exhibits die wear),and is well designed and fully struck and positioned.

A noble artistic Athena graces the obverse. The reverse has a thick wreath but enough space inside for the contents. A truly balanced owl/amphora combo sits in the middle both in a good proportion for each other. The owl slightly turned but facing fully on grasping amphora body and handle with its splayed legs whose talons are not so ugly. The pants are short.  A nice amphora with a slightly off base has the 1st control of the first Athenian month, A on it in a distinctive style by the same hand as on the a of the ethnic. 2 magistrates, bisected by the combo under the ethnic are clear and bold. However, the symbol Macedonian Helmet surmounted by a star is crowded up against the wreath in the little gap on the last line of the 2nd magistrates name! That symbol is often missing on some examples or missing the star-very careless those mint slaves and no QC.! The 2nd mint control is awkwardly fitted by the wonky base of the amphora.

Between Apollo and this coin is a REVERSE OVERSTRIKE that gives the placing of the two issues.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 142/1 BC

16.60 gm 35mm
Thompson catalogue : Obs 203 : REV not in plates
Upon which Amphora mark : A
Left Field control mark ΘΥ
2 magistrates :ΔHMH ΙΡΕΩ
RF symbol : Macedonian Helmet & Star

athHelmet_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.747d0bc193ee2276d99df7f278add5cc.png

• Like 5

Thompson  #24

This 35mm flan NewStyle has a beautiful Athena decked with a good style pegasos , small  horse protomes and bowl ornamentation The whole lot is nice. The reverse is all on flan and the large olive wreath has left plenty of space for the contents The owl/amphora combo features a slightly turned owl with large straight on eyes the body and large pants has large feathers, the legs are barely splayed almost straight down from the body with OK talons grasping the body and handle of the large bulbous amphora on which the 1st control is Delta the 4th Athenian month. Below which is the 2nd control. Below the control are the magistrates monograms the second of whick has the Eagle symbol perching on one of the letters-a nice touch! An altogether nice coin. Bought cheapish from Ma shops.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 141/0 BC

35mm 16.53gm Thompson issue 24
Thompson catalogue : Obs 230 : Rev NEW
on which month mark Δ control ΣΦ below
2 complex magistrates monograms
RF symbol : Eagle perching on right monogram

BOTH_EAGLE-removebg-preview.png.d2a36efe477cfe650d392d8ab886c57a.png

• Like 7

Thompson # 25

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 140/39 BC

By contrast with the last few this coin is only 31mm!  A nice Athena with pouting lip . She has no Pegasos-how careless,. A pissed off slave and no QC a bit worn so makes this a so, so obverse! The reverse has a thick wreath but space enough for the contents. 2 simple magistrates below the ethnic with letters end caps dotted separated by the owl/amphora combo. Owl quite cute and compact with big eyes turned slightly away legs astride on a large bulbous amphora on which the 1st control M for the 12th Athenian month, below a 3 letter 2nd control is placed. The symbol Nike presenting Wreath is not well done and somewhat cramped standing on the amphora handle.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 140/39 BC

Parthenos right in tri-form helmet-No Pegasos
16.60 gm 31 mm

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet-No Pegasos
16.60 gm 31 mm
Thompson catalogue : Obs 278 : REV not in plates?
Upon which Amphora mark : M
Below control mark : ΕΜΦ
2 magistrates : ΚΤΗΣΙ ΕΥΜΑ
RF symbol : Nike presenting Wreath

Jesus_Vico_NIKE_BOTH-removebg-preview.jpg.33ad8957147d378fad1a2182d1dc6996.jpg

• Like 7

Thompson #26  This very shiny coin is toning in my pond. It is out of Thompsons sequence because Mattingly didn't like 2 issues next to each other who had N the 13th Athenian month i.e. Leap years next to each other!

What is it about pissed off slaves and Pegasos? Gone missing again! It hasn't flown off , that is not an excuse! A harsh uninspiring Athena quite clear but no expression.

The reverse has a nice thin wreath giving plenty of space for the contents A nice divided ethnic below is one complex monogram whilst at the other side is the symbol Aplustre. They haven't really no interest in this symbol-it is quite sparse. Below that is the other monogram. Thompson notes that the exact form of the monograms are often variable like they were to complicated. A nice owl/amphora combo separates  the fields . The owl half turned looking straight on firmly grasps the vase with  nice astride owl's legs on the body and handle. K is the 1st control on the body the 10th Athenian month with the 2nd control below.  This is the last time monograms are ever used on the NewStyle And they became more and more complicated and unidentifiable.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 139/8 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet: No Pegasos
32.8mm 16.87g Thompson issue (new) 26
Thompson catalogue : Obs 264 : Rev NEW
upon which month mark Κ control AN below
2 complex magistrates monograms in both fields
RF symbol : Aplustre

inAplustre-removebg-preview.jpg.f06bd20e6f61bd4541162630c08f8d6c.jpg

• Like 5

Thompson # 27 

A nice large flan and a really noble Athena with pegasos , horse protomes-all in good style. The reverse. has a heavy wreath with obtrusive berries that crowds the content somewhat. The ethnic is out of proportion and large lettered magistrates names separated by the usual owl/amphora combo. The owl large and showy body turned more than usual looks a bit awkward perched upon a large amphora on which A of the first control is cut. The 2nd control is placed just above the base of the vase on the left. The real joy is below the simple 2nd magistrates abbreviated name is the symbol of Bust of Helios. This is exceptional on this coin, large and well cut this looks like Jesus!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 138/7 BC

obs.: Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet

33mm 16.87gm Thompson issue 27
Thompson catalogue : 288a
which month mark Α control ΗΡ in LF
LF - ΓΛΑΥ RF - ΕΧΕ
2 magistrates
RF symbol : Radiate facing bust of Helios

n21_Helios_Bust-removebg-preview.png.fa4cbd4dbde8ca487fc31a4d9bac8340.png

• Like 7

Thompson # 28

This is the last of Thompson's early catalogue These last 2 seem to be a different style to all the previous. The flan is smallish and compact. Athena is well modelled, pegasos is large and well modelled, however the horse protomes are a bit of a let down. The reverse is well proportioned fitting in the space left by the large wreath. The ethnic, and 2 magistrates names are well cut and in proportion separated by a clear no-nonsense owl who seems to have lost one of his footings on the handle on a slightly elongated vase, on which B is engraved, the 2nd control is below. The end of the 2 magistrate era until  90's/ 80's  BC where it starts over till the end of the coinage.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 137/6 BC

obs.: Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
16.82gm 30mm Thompson issue 28
Thompson catalogue: Obs 315 : Rev NEW
which month mark Β control ΜΕ below
2 magistrates : MIKI ΘΕΟΦΡΑ
RF symbol : Nike driving Quadriga

normal_BOTH_NEW_NIKE-removebg-preview.png.726009e50f4a42903cd746e53056dba0.png

• Like 6

Thompson #29

Now that's the early catalogue dealt with, time for the middle catalogue. I had 10 more than I got now, but sold them to pay for some other NewStyles.   What is left is an example of the first 3 magistrate issue below  and some of my personal favourites of the middle catalogue. The middle catalogue all the coins have 3 magistrates in abbreviated or longer formats, all have 2 controls chiefly 1st on the amphora 2nd underneath. As with. all ancient coins there are exceptions but these are more likely teething problems. The starter  sometimes as a displaced 2nd control and the symbol is abbreviated  but it soon gets into a more or less regular pattern. The flans are more consistently around 30mm.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 136/5 BC

16.81 g 31.5mm Thompson issue 29
Thompson catalogue: Obs 332: Rev c (not in plates)
on which month mark Δ control: ΗΡ below
3 magistrates : HRA ARISTOPH POLYM
LF symbol: Bow Club & Lionskin

The first 3 magistrate issue

MY_BOW__2-removebg-preview.jpg.0ee48401da8ed7381cfd5a76a4a7ff84.jpg

• Like 6

Thompson #45

An excellent example of this coin A typical example of a middle catalogue Athena but very nice, looks more feminine. The reverse is a joy It's all there framed by a reasonable olive wreath the content space is filled with well cut large letters the owl/amphora combo is magnificent, an absolutely proportioned owl half turned  with large filled pants stares directly at you whilst firmly holding a magnificent amphora well designed with clear neck flutes the body of which has the the Athenian month Delta, below the 2nd control. The symbol double cornucopia filleted  is bold and clear, no mistaking that. I love it.

DOUBLE_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.2e690b6f5995b608060bd39e06b28f52.png

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 120/9 BC

28mm 16.50g Thompson issue 45
Thompson catalogue: Obs 543 : Rev f/g (not in plates)
on which month mark Δ control ΔΙ below
3 magistrates : APHRODiSI DIOGE PHILOX
RF symbol : Double Cornucopia with Fillets
All surrounded within an olive wreath

• Like 7

Thompson #50

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 115/4 BC

16.56g 29mm Thompson issue 50
Thompson catalogue : Obs 639 : Rev ? (altered)
which month mark Γ/Β/Α control ΣΦ below
3 magistrates : METRODOROS DEMOSTHE(N) KALLIPH / PYRROS
RF symbol : Bunch of Grapes on vine leaf

This coin is hated by Thonemann, he calls it simply a mess! Well this example is gorgeous An absolute joy of an Athena , bold and clear. The reverse is full of the ethnic and 3 magistrates names, a prosopography's delight a tremendous Owl/amphora combo with grapes on a vine leaf nestling below the Theodotos in the right field. Can you get a better owl/amphora? Careful scrutiny shows that some earlier month mark existed below the Gamma on the amphora.

1157499598_BOTH_GRAPES-removebg-preview(1).png.c41946e59d2fc666ee6bdad339704ab1.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 8

Thompson # 52 

This direct allusion to the elysian mysteries with a snake biga and Triptolemus offering a bowl of grain. This is personal favourite for the symbol alone. A big fat owl, on a elongated amphora with the 12 Athenian month M, Below crushed in is the 2nd control. More letter crushing takes place, but I still like it!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 113/2 BC

29mm 16.73 gm Thompson issue 52
Thompson catalogue : Obs 680 : Rev NEW
on which month mark M control ME below
3 magistrates : EUMAREIDES KLEOMEN PYRRI
RF symbol : Triptolemus in biga pulled by snakes

TRIP_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.cd2a147b084a54c81b980a3118abc186.png

• Like 7

Thompson # 56

My very first NewStyle.  A large Athena fills the scene/ The reverse I s filled with large well spaced cut lettering of the 3 magistrates. Owl/amphora combo a bit crude whilst the over large amphora  has a gamma over delta 1st control, 2nd control below. From this coin the journey began! Symbol Quiver and Bow is Artemisian in nature.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 109/8 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos in tri-form helmet
30mm 16.64gm Thompson issue 56
Thompson catalogue: Obs 724 : Rev ? (altered)
Rev : AΘE ethnic
on which month mark Δ/Γ control ΠΕ below
3 magistrates : DAMON SOSIKRATES KRITON
RF symbol : Quiver & Bow

QUIVER_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.f36eb8e40a555af7df3a692453c47385.png

• Like 6

Thompson #65

The last of the middle catalogue. Notice  how crude this , good example is. Athena is a hag! The reverse has letters of different sizes and crudely cut. The owl the  has very splayed legs in order to grasp the ridiculously elongated amphora. The rot has set in! A good example though.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 100/9 BC

16.25g 29mm Thompson issue 65
Thompson catalogue: Obs 875 : Rev NEW
REV : ΑΘΕ ethnic
on which month mark Λ control ME below
3 magistrates : DOSITHEOS XARIAS XAIR
RF symbol : Tyche, Staff & Cornucopia

TYCHE_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.1937038ae573347fd6bcb5ed31ffe96c.png

• Like 6

Thompson #66

This is the start of the Thompson early catalogue the most intriguing part of the NewStyle . Things were happening, first the slave revolt c 100 BC, is this why the coins around this time have large obverse die counts?  Was the latent menace of Mithradates Eupator of Pontus threatening with moves into Cappadocia?  The Roman social war? This coin had the largest obverse die count of the whole NewStyle with 47 known obverses.

I no longer follow Thompson's sequencing here 

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 99/8 BC

obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
15.43g 29mm Thompson issue 66
Thompson catalogue: Obs 901 : Rev NEW
REV : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic 
amphora

on which month mark H? control ΣΟ/MH below
3 magistrates : DEMETRIOS AGATHIPPOS OLY
RF symbol : Caps of Pilloi

1995748248_CAPSofDIOSCURILATE_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.173d55de9ecc97bcc635b4562c2fb24f.png

• Like 4

Thompson # 70  But not mine!

An ugly Athena, the reverse has a fully splayed owl on a ridiculous elongated amphora Only 2 magistrates who appear twice more. Both controls have been altered. The symbol has die damage resulting in 2 tails! Quite a crude reverse and coin in genera.l

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 97/6 BC

28 mm 16.8 gm Thompson issue 70
Thompson catalogue: Obs NEW: Rev 1019 (altered) NEW
on which month mark Ζ/Γ control ΣΟ/ΠΕ below
2 magistrates : XENOCLES HARMOXENOS
RF symbol : Coiled Serpent

SNAKE_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.a730990c5f04e317817c392e93bf8861.png

• Like 4

Thompson # 66 ( but not mine)

This is a controversial coin. The symbol is thought to be a reference to King Mithradates Eupator of Pontus. Lots of political intrigue and manoeuvring was taking place in both Asia minor and in Athens at this time. Athens was politically split between partisans of Eupator and the Romans. As it goes a quite nice ish Athena, but she's no looker! I quite like the reverse, the owl/amphora combo is much better and the amphora reduced again.3 magistrates once again!  A great gorgon, notice the snakes above his face that has a protruding tongue!  33 Obverses and there is an obverse die link with Pegasos below.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 95/4 BC

28.5mm 16.76 gm Thompson issue (New) 66
Thompson catalogue: 937a ? (not in plates)
on which month mark Γ control MH below
3 magistrates : NIKETES DIONYSIOS MENE
RF symbol : Gorgon Head

GORGON_BOTH-removebg-preview.png.32be92e02d4e4caab329a8acaeed0469.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

Thomson # ? I give it # 67

Another symbol pegasos, associated with Eupator. The 1st magistrate is Aristion, a diplomat sent by Athens to the Mithradatic court. It is most likely he who died in the last stand on the Parthenon 8 years later during the fire and sword of the Sullan siege. A very worn die was used for the obverse, but still was quite ugly and manly anyway! The reverse die also had heavy use The owl is not bad but the amphora is once again elongated giving the owl a large splayed look with heavy carved feathers and huge pants! The drinking/grounded pegasos symbol is a bit crude but the device appears on Pontic tetradrachms at this time. 31 obverse dies and obverse die linked to Gorgon above.

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 94/3 BC

28.5mm 16.25 gm Thompson issue  67
Thompson catalogue: Obs 972 : Rev NEW
on which month mark Θ control Α Π below
3 magistrates : ARIST(I)ON PHILON HGEAS
RF symbol : Drinking Pegasos

39_Pegasos-removebg-preview.png.25db7902662cd2285a27cafda7f71a15.png

• Like 4

Thompson #?  My issue #73

Quite a nice coin but some of the magistrates beginning letters are off flan! A quite nice bold Athena, the Reverse owl/amphora combo is ok the amphora though dominates. The symbol Headdress of Isis shows no obvious political affixations but it is believed that the 1st magistrate survived the Sullan siege that he was pro-Roman, it is nicely represented. A smallish issue of just 18 obverses die linked to Dolphin & Trident below

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 93/2 BC

29 mm 16.15 gm Thompson issue 73
Thompson catalogue: Obs: 1063b
ΑΘΕ ethnic
on which month mark K control ΠEP below
3 magistrates : DEMEAS ERMOKLES LYSIM
RF symbol :Headdress of Isis

615507783_DNWHeaddressofISIST1063bcropped.jpg.5fe9fefe91e462f58813896cdeaa4c8c.jpg

• Like 4