Any luck at Roma Auction today?

El Cazador

6 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

You don't know German customs xD

Of course I do. I currently have 7 open cases with objections - 6 of them are from Roma deliveries. The oldest complaint is from December 2022. 

And if you have waited 6 months, then you get a rejection and have to appeal - which means waiting months again. At some point you might get lucky - after almost 1 year if it goes well and quickly.

At some point you don't feel like it any more.
You can invest your money better there.

Same as here (Ireland) - I regularly get charged 23% instead of the correct 13.5% for items over 100 years old.   I have appealed, showing that the items are clearly much older than 100 years and no effect.   On the plus side, I often get items without paying anything, so it may even out over time.

I'm buying less from outside the EU since Brexit.

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, akeady said:

Same as here (Ireland) - I regularly get charged 23% instead of the correct 13.5% for items over 100 years old.   I have appealed, showing that the items are clearly much older than 100 years and no effect.   On the plus side, I often get items without paying anything, so it may even out over time.

I'm buying less from outside the EU since Brexit.

Some already offer to send the coins via Belgium (Naville, NN London etc...) - I once talked to ROma why they don't do that too - but they had no interest (so far). I have to admit - since then I buy less from Roma. Unfortunately. But it's not Roma's fault - it's customs. But it's a pity that Roma doesn't have an office in Europe - like Naville.

But when I buy coins from the USA - Stack Bowers, CNG, GreatCollection etc. - the 7% works, strangely enough. Customs in Frankfurt (all goods from overseas) understands it. If the goods come from England, it always goes through customs in Leipzig - it never works there. Even if Roma declares the papers correctly and writes the right number on the papers. 

But since there are so many auction houses outside England - I don't necessarily have to buy in England - unless it would be a super nice specimen.

But today. I have a limit. Trouble > Money. When my desired coins reached about the 1300 pounds I knew = 1500 euros + surcharge + customs & hassle = I end up paying 2000 euros for a standard denarius. No thanks!

Therefore I did without. Now in autumn there is a very good Künker auction in Germany. Then I'll just throw my money at them...

image.png.e6c6c930464d1283500e42cfe9406e44.png

• Like 2

Richard Beale of Roma replied to a post of mine here suggesting that they open up in Belgium for 6% import VAT like Naville.    He wasn't interested in Belgium, but maybe Germany, if I recall correctly.   Yes, I threw in a few bids in Kuenker, but I'm sure I'll win nothing 😄

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

@El Cazador and @Kazuma78, my bid (on a Republican denarius from the Andrew McCabe Collection) did finally appear today in my bidding history, showing me as the winning bidder. I thought for a while I was imagining things! But I'm relieved.  Perhaps especially because the pound today is down to $1.08 (I remember when I was a child it was around $5.00, and I never remember it being below $1.50 until quite recently), which will make paying for the lot less expensive for me. I regret paying my invoice for the two lots I won at the recent Sovereign Rarities auction so promptly yesterday. I would have saved a lot of money had I waited until today!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, CPK said:

Nothing today. I am watching one Roman coin, but I don't think I'll be bidding.

Anyone here win Lot 934? That's the one I was watching. It hammered for more than I could afford, but still a decent price IMO:

- NOT MY COIN -

24451.3.1_1.jpg.aa547a0677d32c9c9ee195a3d09c0e54.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

@El Cazador and @Kazuma78, my bid (on a Republican denarius from the Andrew McCabe Collection) did finally appear today in my bidding history, showing me as the winning bidder. I thought for a while I was imagining things! But I'm relieved.  Perhaps especially because the pound today is down to $1.08 (I remember when I was a child it was around $5.00, and I never remember it being below $1.50 until quite recently), which will make paying for the lot less expensive for me. I regret paying my invoice for the two lots I won at the recent Sovereign Rarities auction so promptly yesterday. I would have saved a lot of money had I waited until today!

I wouldn't worry too much: it's dollar cost averaging of exchange rates. If the GBP had skyrocketed today, you'd have felt like a genius for locking in your rate yesterday. As long as you buy somewhat evenly over time, you'll have as many wins as losses in exchange rates. And, if you do find a way to accurately predict exchange rates, I'd suggest dumping ancient coins and going all in on forex trading 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

I just cannot participate in floor auctions.  The competition is much fiercer generally compared to e-auctions, plus the buyer's fees have increased.  On the plus side for UK and EU based auctions the exchange rate between the US dollar versus the pound and euro have swung to its advantage in a big way.  But, as observed earlier, that means more aggressive bids from US collectors/investors or anyone holding dollars.  So, it is a wash or nearly a wash in my view.

True, some spectacular coins are offered in the floor auction venues, but "spectacular" is not high on priority list.  I'll continue to focus on the e-auctions and private sales for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4