Any luck at Roma Auction today?

El Cazador

10 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I placed a pre-bid on one coin that is higher than the hammer price, but when I sign in , there's no trace of my bid in my account information. So I have no idea if I'm the winner or not.

I don't think they update until next day. I won 2 lots, but it doesn't show them for me either. 

2 hours ago, Kazuma78 said:

Here are the 2 coins I won:

Screenshot_20220922-104249_Chrome.jpg.bed6c30c9afeb521b9fc8e3200d9e368.jpgScreenshot_20220922-181943_Chrome.jpg.d3eadc82a116877499ac120c970ceef3.jpg

I was actually suppose to bid on that Bactrian Tetradrachm, but missed the call by 4 min as I was at the meeting. before live bidding i think this one still had an affordable pre-live final bid

Congratulations @Kazuma78

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

At the risk of taunting the shipping gods, I'll mention that I won all four lots I wanted:

789  7000 hammer
839  1900  "
845  3200  "

925  8500 "

I was pretty confident about the first three (although nervous about 789), but I didn't expect to win 925 really, since its cousin brought 34K CHF at NAC last spring. I would've been out way before that!

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 5
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1

52 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

At the risk of taunting the shipping gods, I'll mention that I won all four lots I wanted:

789  7000 hammer
839  1900  "
845  3200  "

925  8500 "

I was pretty confident about the first three (although nervous about 789), but I didn't expect to win 925 really, since its cousin brought 34K CHF at NAC last spring. I would've been out way before that!

Congrats, Phil! Did you manage to find any earlier pedigrees for any of the coins in this collection (or had you bumped into the collector before?) I was outbid on everything but would have gone considerably stronger on some had I seen a published pedigree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, AncientJoe said:

Congrats, Phil! Did you manage to find any earlier pedigrees for any of the coins in this collection (or had you bumped into the collector before?) I was outbid on everything but would have gone considerably stronger on some had I seen a published pedigree. 

I haven't found any yet, although patently they must exist. (Only the first lot on my list is Vogelberg.) 

• Like 1

I didn't get anything - or in other words - decide against one or the other lot. The prices were at a premium anyway because of the names - pieces that are worth around 1000 euros in the open market - went 300-500 euros over the market value.

Problem due to the weak euro - around 1500 pounds are around 1700 euros. Then there are the auction fees - that's around 2000 euros in the end.

And then the next problem is German customs. Almost all deliveries from England are not cleared properly because we have new customs tariff numbers in Germany since January 2022. Roma writes the right number on it 100 times - but customs always charges the wrong 19% tax instead of the correct 7%. And then I end up with around 2400 euros.

So from a 1500 pound coin in England at Roma I end up paying around 2400 euros with fees and the wrong customs duty. I had two coins of Titus in mind - they were worth maybe 1300-1500 pounds final price - but not the almost 2,500 euros I would have had to pay.

Therefore - no - nothing at Roma.
Why did the British have to leave the EU too 😞 ....?!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I didn't get anything - or in other words - decide against one or the other lot. The prices were at a premium anyway because of the names - pieces that are worth around 1000 euros in the open market - went 300-500 euros over the market value.

Problem due to the weak euro - around 1500 pounds are around 1700 euros. Then there are the auction fees - that's around 2000 euros in the end.

And then the next problem is German customs. Almost all deliveries from England are not cleared properly because we have new customs tariff numbers in Germany since January 2022. Roma writes the right number on it 100 times - but customs always charges the wrong 19% tax instead of the correct 7%. And then I end up with around 2400 euros.

So from a 1500 pound coin in England at Roma I end up paying around 2400 euros with fees and the wrong customs duty. I had two coins of Titus in mind - they were worth maybe 1300-1500 pounds final price - but not the almost 2,500 euros I would have had to pay.

Therefore - no - nothing at Roma.
Why did the British have to leave the EU too 😞 ....?!

Can’t you challenge the setting of the VAT by customs? I do it all the time here in Belgium.

Well, since you asked...

My one and only coin was, well, the #1 auction coin:

image.jpeg.01d33f62a3a85bf6dec1864fe8bf16a1.jpeg

Yet another work of abstract art by the Celts, and I couldn't resist.  The "stylized" portrait of Apollo on the obverse is the feature that really enticed me, especially since most other examples of this fairly common coin don't contain the entire head are are very hard to visualize.

Plus the provenance is long and impressive:

This coin published online at Portable Antiquities Scheme: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/707502;
From a private Californian collection;
Ex Chris Rudd Ltd, Auction 160, 13 August 2018, lot 21;
Found in Burwell, Lincolnshire, 7 February 2015.

Yes, that's right, its provenance dates all the way back to 2015!  Those were the days!  

Does anyone have a shorter known provenance on an ancient coin?

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

7 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

Well, since you asked...

My one and only coin was, well, the #1 auction coin:

image.jpeg.01d33f62a3a85bf6dec1864fe8bf16a1.jpeg

Yet another work of abstract art by the Celts, and I couldn't resist.  The "stylized" portrait of Apollo on the obverse is the feature that really enticed me, especially since most other examples of this fairly common coin don't contain the entire head are are very hard to visualize.

Plus the provenance is long and impressive:

This coin published online at Portable Antiquities Scheme: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/707502;
From a private Californian collection;
Ex Chris Rudd Ltd, Auction 160, 13 August 2018, lot 21;
Found in Burwell, Lincolnshire, 7 February 2015.

Yes, that's right, its provenance dates all the way back to 2015!  Those were the days!  

Does anyone have a shorter known provenance on an ancient coin?

Very nice win! I love the abstract Celtic coins. I picked one up at Roma yesterday and unexpectedly bought this one somewhere else yesterday also- mostly because it's decent in quality but was super reasonable in terms of cost. 

Screenshot_20220923-070023_Chrome.jpg.7123202b245fb4a7c08fcc0726ef36b1.jpgScreenshot_20220923-070049_Chrome.jpg.cd9d4438b86be18c83b78da753208429.jpgScreenshot_20220923-070007_Chrome.jpg.8f92857d9f11b97c1ffe4f953362419e.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Meander said:

Can’t you challenge the setting of the VAT by customs? I do it all the time here in Belgium.

You don't know German customs xD

Of course I do. I currently have 7 open cases with objections - 6 of them are from Roma deliveries. The oldest complaint is from December 2022. 

And if you have waited 6 months, then you get a rejection and have to appeal - which means waiting months again. At some point you might get lucky - after almost 1 year if it goes well and quickly.

At some point you don't feel like it any more.
You can invest your money better there.

• Like 2