Forum Rules & FAQs

Restitutor

Forum Rules

Numis Forums is a welcoming space for everyone who wishes to discuss, or simply admire, ancient & world coins, and any other numismatic object. Discrimination based off age, race, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or religion will not be tolerated. This is not a free speech forum: if you purposefully disseminate hate in any way, you will be banned. By signing up for an account on this forum you are bound to the rules as outlined. Rules are subject to change, and any rule changes will be made public to all forum members prior to taking effect.

FAQs

Please use this thread for all feature/functionality questions related to the forum! From things like how to change your profile picture, select forums, or alter your notification settings, this is the place to post any questions you may have!  

-Res

• Like 3

• Benefactor

There are two high-level things I'd love to see. This is a much better place for discussion than CT, but that site still wins in two areas.

Editing is much easier there. In particular, I have an easier time posting a photo with an attribution under it. Photo insertion on this site is strange and sometimes it seems to setup an HTML table that makes it difficult to post an image afterwards. The formatting support on CT is much richer here.

I'm not sure if it's just with time, but the search engine interaction is much stronger on CT. I've never run into a Numisforums thread during a Google search, but I often do see CT posts. Several times when researching a numismatic question, I've found a post that seems to answer exactly what I need, only to discover that it was my own post asking the same thing there. 😞 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Photo insertion on this site is strange and sometimes it seems to setup an HTML table that makes it difficult to post an image afterwards. The formatting support on CT is much richer here.

I think I posted hundreds of pictures here and I never had problems. You click "choose files", and as soon the picture or pictures  appear you click with the mouse on the place where you want the image to be, and then on the image. Ready. And as we discussed recently you can format the picture by clicking on the inserted picture (once and it appears blue, double click to format).

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 5

One question/comment that I have seen crop up every so often in other threads is asking about the layout of the site. At present, the default view is fluid, so you'll see all posts from every forum. If you would like to change to a more traditional layout, please see the video below:

Your layout choice will be remembered if you log out and log back in. The guest view is still set up as fluid so you'll need to sign in if you have selected a different view. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

There are two high-level things I'd love to see. This is a much better place for discussion than CT, but that site still wins in two areas.

Editing is much easier there. In particular, I have an easier time posting a photo with an attribution under it. Photo insertion on this site is strange and sometimes it seems to setup an HTML table that makes it difficult to post an image afterwards. The formatting support on CT is much richer here.

I'm not sure if it's just with time, but the search engine interaction is much stronger on CT. I've never run into a Numisforums thread during a Google search, but I often do see CT posts. Several times when researching a numismatic question, I've found a post that seems to answer exactly what I need, only to discover that it was my own post asking the same thing there. 😞 

I'll put together a video tutorial to help with inserting photos! Obviously I'm somewhat biased but I do think the functionality of this platform is better for bringing in photos/videos once you get the hang of it! 😄 

As to your second point - yes, this just comes with time! The more the site is used the more Google will bump it up in search results. Still crazy to think we are less than 3 months old when you consider all the activity on the site! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shanxi said:

2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Photo insertion on this site is strange and sometimes it seems to setup an HTML table that makes it difficult to post an image afterwards. The formatting support on CT is much richer here.

I think I posted hundreds of pictures here and I never had problems. You click "choose files", and as soon the picture or pictures  appear you click with the mouse on the place where you want the image to be, and then on the image

You can also simply copy and paste a picture in, with or without accompanying description. Super easy. If there’s accompanying text I usually paste without formatting.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

Here's an example of the issue with attributions.

678A0716-Edit.jpg.c1aacfed188bbdf2b974311a112ec112.jpg

IONIA. Miletos
Circa 350-325 BCE
Bronze, 11 mm, 2.38 g
Lion standing left, looking back; above, monogram of Miletos. Rev. Stellate pattern. Deppert-Lippitz 297-303. Weber 6041
Ex J. Metzger Collection
Ex Nomos

Compare this to a post from CT. 

1. I can't change the font here, while I can in CT.
  2. The text isn't centered
  3. I can find now way to place it immediately below the image. Also, why is this text only taking a third of the screen before it wraps? Clearly the site is placing a table with three columns just below the image.

To illustrate this further, I'll now add another image that I just thought of.

678A0669-Edit.jpg.04bd244d74684d0d6791d11fa1e40eb0.jpg

The new image takes up only a third of the screen. Interestingly, the table now seems to be gone or at least I've moved past it, because the text flows across the entire screen. I'll post the image again.

678A0669-Edit.jpg.04bd244d74684d0d6791d11fa1e40eb0.jpg

Parthia(?) Andragoras(?), 'Eagle Series'
circa 246-238 BCE
AR Drachm. Hekatompylos(?) 3.33g, 14mm, 6h.
Local standard. Head of Athena to right, wearing earring, necklace, and crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves over visor and a spiral palmette on the bowl; monogram of Andragoras(?) behind / Eagle standing to left, head to right; grape cluster on vine with leaf above.
Roma XIV, 332; Bopearachchi, Sophytes Series 2A; SNG ANS -; Mitchiner -; HGC 12, 8
Ex Neil Collection
Ex Roma

Interestingly, when I first started typing below the image, there was no HTML table beneath, so I could write across the screen.

The bug seems to be when I paste text. That creates a borderless HTML table with three columns for some reason. It's extremely annoying.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:35 PM, shanxi said:

If this is a problem you have to click:

image.png.9aaa8b76fae297a23bf65342cbd46152.png

after you pasted the text.

Then you can format the text here normally.

Yes I've noticed this is very important. If you don't remember to do it, changing the font can be difficult and you might find you've imported formatting (like tables) you didn't want. Sometimes I have to 'undo' a few stages (ctrl Z) and paste again as plain text. I think it's to do with the underlying code, which probably starts to look a real mess if you paste a lot of content from other sources.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:29 PM, kirispupis said:

The formatting support on CT is much richer here.

On CT, it forces whatever you paste into plain text. Rather than being richer, it strips out all the source formatting. That is less rich, but has the benefit of being simpler and less likely to include unwanted formatting. For example:

This is a table created in Word and pasted directly here:

A

B

C

But this is the exact same table pasted into a post on CT:

A

B

C

The colour and the table have gone. So if I wanted colour and a table, it's hopeless and not at all user friendly. But if I now want to edit it, it's much simpler, as there's only text.

If the source you're copying the attribution from has formatting that is interpreted as a column, then Numis Forvms will include it. CT will strip it out. If you don't want it, you need to paste here as 'plain text' to get the same result as CT (or copy from a source with minimal formatting).
Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 5

Hi @Restitutor and All,

Is there a way to print an entire thread? I would expect to left-click on the title of the thread and see "Print ..." as an option to print the contents out. Another way might be to open the thread and click on the title at that point. Can this be done with current features?

- Broucheion

• Restitutor changed the title to Forum Rules & FAQs
  • 4 months later...

New Numis Forums Members, 

As one of the tools deployed to help with spam prevention, all new accounts will be put on a 24-hour content moderation period. This means that any post a new account makes in the first 24 hours requires manual content approval (by me), and will be hidden from the forum feed until approval is granted. After the 24 hour period, this approval setting is automatically lifted.

As all spammers make posts within 24 hours of an accounts creation, this allows us to catch and delete these accounts before their spam posts can disrupt our forum, thus ensuring the best experience possible for everyone here 🙂 

-Res

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, Roerbakmix said:

@Restitutor, is it possible to (1) ignore a specific person, and (2) ignore a thread?

This because of the recent discussion initiated and maintained by a user I suspect to be a troll (that remains on the front page). 

@Restitutor Have you found out how to do this? I would kind of like to hide the thread about Richard Beale if possible...getting a little tired of having it constantly pop up to the top with nothing but legal speculation (no offense intended to anyone who's posted there, just not really my interest.) 🙂 

Edited by CPK
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CPK said:

@Restitutor Have you found out how to do this? I would kind of like to hide the thread about Richard Beale if possible...getting a little tired of having it constantly pop up to the top with nothing but legal speculation (no offense intended to anyone who's posted there, just not really my interest.) 🙂 

For instructions on how to ignore please see below:

1. Click your account name drop down in the upper right hand corner.

2. Click 'Ignored Users'

3. From there you simply type in the account name of the user(s) you wish to ignore, and then select what type of submissions you wish to ignore, and then hit 'Add User'; see screenshot below:

image.png.198ae1acf3029429d380c0ac771ec65b.png

Yeah, each camp has had their respective views aired and about every contingency has been discussed.  I fear that it's going to become "I know you are, what am I?" real soon.  And one or two careless posts could potentially open up a legal minefield.

I'd love it if there were a way of ignoring a certain thread. I'm pretty sure either the Dr. Who forum or the old place allowed this via their software.

I'm very old school; Mr. Beale is innocent until proven guilty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restitutor said:

For instructions on how to ignore please see below:

1. Click your account name drop down in the upper right hand corner.

2. Click 'Ignored Users'

3. From there you simply type in the account name of the user(s) you wish to ignore, and then select what type of submissions you wish to ignore, and then hit 'Add User'; see screenshot below:

image.png.198ae1acf3029429d380c0ac771ec65b.png

Thanks Luke. I guess I'm more wondering if it's possible to ignore an entire thread - i.e., to have it hidden from my view. I'm not wanting to ignore specific users.

• Yes 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

With the rapid expansion our forum has had over the last year+, I wanted to bring some clarity on a topic that I believe will help keep the forum running smoothly.

On-Topic/Off-Topic Replies

It goes without saying, but a reply to a thread should stay on-topic. I believe the overwhelming majority of replies on threads adhere to this principle. However, every so often, a reply (or multiple replies) veers off-topic. These off-topic replies have a tendency to stymie further relevant on-topic discussions, and generally just introduce un-needed clutter in a post. As such, I want to clearly state that any off-topic reply will be removed at the discretion of the Admin (me). If the entire reply is off-topic, I will simply 'Hide' the reply; if only a portion of the reply is off-topic, I will edit out that portion and replace with the text '[Removed by Admin as off-topic]'. I also want to highlight the usage of the word discretion; given that the goal with this rule is to help maintain the flow of the thread as intended by the OP, I will use my discretion to determine if an off-topic reply is having an unwanted effect. If you believe a reply is off-topic, please feel free to 'report' it to me so I can check it out. 

And that's it! I hope by now everyone here knows that I like to moderate this forum with a light touch, thanks in no small part to how well everyone here interacts, so please do not view this as me saying things are suddenly going to ramp up out of no where, as that is certainly not the case. My intent with this post is simply to clarify and clearly outline my thought-process on this topic.

Please feel free to private message me, or respond directly here on the thread, with any questions. 

-Res

• Like 3

• 1 month later...