Jump to content

Great stuff in Roma XXV


NewStyleKing
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great stuff in the latest Roma XXV auction!  Oh I do so wish I was rich, those Tenedos tetradrachms look fab . That Mytilene one too!  Just one problem, where are all the Athens NewStyles?  Maybe that's a good thing?  Maybe when it comes to sell I'll be able to  afford my energy bills!  Oh if your on the lookout for a labienus denarius  they've got a couple!

NSK=John

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 7
  • Yes 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just looked through day 1 and day 2. I'm thinking of auctioning off one or two fingers, an ear or my hair for transplantation purposes on Ebay. 

Seriously. Actually, you can't look through the two auctions. I get the urge to buy. I'll never be able to justify it to my wife - once I start bidding.

Horribly great auction.

  • Like 5
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is going to be a rough fall for the bank account! Between this auction and the upcoming CNG Feature… may have to auction off more than just one or two fingers! 🤣 Got to see a preview of some of the CNG coins that were on display at the ANA yesterday for the upcoming Feature and Triton. All I can say is 🤤🤤🤤

52F15A4E-E2E7-42EF-9928-E57F1DE0E0B0.jpeg.41dc67b3d4d0f983300c45cafbe7b2c5.jpeg

A9578447-753B-4929-A536-78EA52C1C540.jpeg.e2121c160debed25b0c7d106ead78d58.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

This is going to be a rough fall for the bank account! Between this auction and the upcoming CNG Feature… may have to auction off more than just one or two fingers! 🤣 Got to see a preview of some of the CNG coins that were on display at the ANA yesterday for the upcoming Feature and Triton. All I can say is 🤤🤤🤤

I would rather think about changing the hobby. The local knitting and crochet club is still looking for members...

  • Like 2
  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Restitutor said:

This is going to be a rough fall for the bank account! Between this auction and the upcoming CNG Feature… may have to auction off more than just one or two fingers! 🤣 Got to see a preview of some of the CNG coins that were on display at the ANA yesterday for the upcoming Feature and Triton. All I can say is 🤤🤤🤤

52F15A4E-E2E7-42EF-9928-E57F1DE0E0B0.jpeg.41dc67b3d4d0f983300c45cafbe7b2c5.jpeg

A9578447-753B-4929-A536-78EA52C1C540.jpeg.e2121c160debed25b0c7d106ead78d58.jpeg

I spoke to Dave Michaels, who said that this would be the "best" non-Triton feature auction CNG has ever had. Apparently, there will be something for everyone, but I also heard there will be a very comprehensive Byzantine collection. I don't really collect Byzantine...but just FYI for everyone who does!

Edited by Romancollector
  • Like 4
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Romancollector said:

I spoke to Dave Michaels, who said that this would be the "best" non-Triton feature auction CNG has ever had. Apparently, there will be something for everyone, but I also heard there will be a very comprehensive Byzantine collection. I don't really collect Byzantine...but just FYI for everyone who does!

I also spoke with Dave (our newest forum member 😃!) and he said the same. Ended up holding off on buying anything at the show because of it; want to save my dollars up! Tough choice though as they had a lot of good lookers for sale. He mentioned we should see the catalogue online in a couple weeks. Can’t wait!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

I looked through the latest Roma auctions. There's some stunning stuff, but I feel a bit relieved that there's not a single coin that works for my collection. Sure, they have an amazing Nikomedes I tet that I'd pursue had I significantly more funds devoted to this, but I can't feel bad since I already have two bronzes from him. So, even if I bought the tet, it would be superfluous.

I'm anxious for when the "plebeian" auctions begin again, because they usually have some irresistible stuff.

  • Like 4
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Has anyone been bidding in the Leu Numismatik auction that started today and continues tomorrow? It feels to me like the last Leu auction just took place, but here's another one already! So far, I've bid twice and won twice, once for four and once for eight bidding increments less than my maximum bid. One 3rd century sestertius from Severus Alexander, and one modern British silver crown from Edw. VII. (A type I used to have but finally decided it was time to replace. I can't believe how expensive silver crowns are in general, but this wasn't as bad as most.) No more details until they arrive! There's one more coin I'm thinking of bidding on for tomorrow's auction. As well as one coin in tomorrow's Nomos Obolos auction. So much for waiting until next month to buy any more coins!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Has anyone been bidding in the Leu Numismatik auction that started today and continues tomorrow? It feels to me like the last Leu auction just took place, but here's another one already! So far, I've bid twice and won twice, once for four and once for eight bidding increments less than my maximum bid. One 3rd century sestertius from Severus Alexander, and one modern British silver crown from Edw. VII. (A type I used to have but finally decided it was time to replace. I can't believe how expensive silver crowns are in general, but this wasn't as bad as most.) No more details until they arrive! There's one more coin I'm thinking of bidding on for tomorrow's auction. As well as one coin in tomorrow's Nomos Obolos auction. So much for waiting until next month to buy any more coins!

I won some tickets today. The prizes were very nice. But it also has to be said that not quite so exclusive pieces are being auctioned today and tomorrow. Monday is the "more exclusive" auction from Leu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Has anyone been bidding in the Leu Numismatik auction that started today and continues tomorrow? It feels to me like the last Leu auction just took place, but here's another one already! So far, I've bid twice and won twice, once for four and once for eight bidding increments less than my maximum bid. One 3rd century sestertius from Severus Alexander, and one modern British silver crown from Edw. VII. (A type I used to have but finally decided it was time to replace. I can't believe how expensive silver crowns are in general, but this wasn't as bad as most.) No more details until they arrive! There's one more coin I'm thinking of bidding on for tomorrow's auction. As well as one coin in tomorrow's Nomos Obolos auction. So much for waiting until next month to buy any more coins!

Yeah, I accidentally won a George III dollar in the Leu auction. I wasn't even trying - i just left a bid before bedtime, and woke up to find i had won it. I love big chunky crown-size coins - they even impress my friends who don't care for coins.

Congratulations on the Edward VII crown, i just took a sneaky peak. When I was in the market for EVII & Victoria crowns, I was searching for something just as nice; i made sure i could see St George's six-pack and his eye in profile; that's how i know it's an exceptional coin with very little wear. This issue had a relatively low mintage (~100,000, with the population of nice ones a fraction of that) and 1902 was the only year Edward VII minted crowns. When you receive the coin, I hope you show it off on this forum, and we can have thread on Edward VII crowns!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
17 hours ago, GregH said:

Yeah, I accidentally won a George III dollar in the Leu auction. I wasn't even trying - i just left a bid before bedtime, and woke up to find i had won it. I love big chunky crown-size coins - they even impress my friends who don't care for coins.

Congratulations on the Edward VII crown, i just took a sneaky peak. When I was in the market for EVII & Victoria crowns, I was searching for something just as nice; i made sure i could see St George's six-pack and his eye in profile; that's how i know it's an exceptional coin with very little wear. This issue had a relatively low mintage (~100,000, with the population of nice ones a fraction of that) and 1902 was the only year Edward VII minted crowns. When you receive the coin, I hope you show it off on this forum, and we can have thread on Edward VII crowns!

I will definitely post it when it arrives! And while I'm waiting, perhaps I will try to photograph some of the other British crowns I still have -- mostly ones from the mid-19th century onwards, because about seven years ago I sold the best examples I had from earlier reigns. As well as my Victoria Gothic Crown, a sale I regret, given that it would now cost thousands of dollars to buy another one!

I did win one more coin in the Leu auction, a 10 Marks gold coin of Wilhelm II from 1912.  I figured that if I'm going to have any modern gold at all, it makes sense to have one from the guy who was Kaiser when both my maternal grandparents were born, and when my grandfather as well as my grandmother's four brothers fought for him in the First World War.

But I didn't win the one coin I bid for in the Nomos Obolos auction. I was the underbidder on a rare Commodus Provincial from Pataulia in Thrace, with Telesphorus on the reverse. There's only one example in RPC, and it doesn't even have a photo. I hope someone here won the coin!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I will definitely post it when it arrives! And while I'm waiting, perhaps I will try to photograph some of the other British crowns I still have -- mostly ones from the mid-19th century onwards, because about seven years ago I sold the best examples I had from earlier reigns. As well as my Victoria Gothic Crown, a sale I regret, given that it would now cost thousands of dollars to buy another one!

I did win one more coin in the Leu auction, a 10 Marks gold coin of Wilhelm II from 1912.  I figured that if I'm going to have any modern gold at all, it makes sense to have one from the guy who was Kaiser when both my maternal grandparents were born, and when my grandfather as well as my grandmother's four brothers fought for him in the First World War.

But I didn't win the one coin I bid for in the Nomos Obolos auction. I was the underbidder on a rare Commodus Provincial from Pataulia in Thrace, with Telesphorus on the reverse. There's only one example in RPC, and it doesn't even have a photo. I hope someone here won the coin!

I would LOVE a Vic Gothic crown to complete my Vic crown collection (which currently comprises Young Head, Jubilee Head, Old Head). I could easily go down the rabbit hole of expanding to the related royal families in Russia and Germany, but i've resisted so far. I also have German ancestry, so this appeals to me. I would also love to collect the Russian rulers rubles series - which is only a dozen or so rulers from Peter I to Nicholas II, making it a fairly easy set (notwithstanding the expensive rulers like Ivan VI).

I gave up on Nomos after i blew my budget with Leu. I have a few low-ball bids with CNG, and i'll let that run its course. Unfortunately i have other expensive hobbies (travel) and a mortgage to pay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...