That "Feel Good Moment" or a time to gloat.

Al Kowsky

I enjoy reviewing auction house results & have a "feel good moment" when I see a coin that is the same type as one in my collection that sold for far more than the price I paid. This recently happened to me when I spotted a Carthaginian tetradrachm that CNG auctioned two weeks ago for $4,680.00, pictured below. The CNG coin isn't as nice as my example & is noticeably lighter than my coin, so it is likely a late issue. 2087502648_NGC6060957-0127-8-20224680_00.jpg.807d6ebd199f21c605e343e7ddc5f884.jpg

The coin in my collection is pictured below ☺️. My coin cost less than $2,000.00 & I thought I overpaid for it at the time, however, I don't feel that way anymore & enjoy gloating about it 😉. If any other FVMIS FORVMS member has had a similar experience please share it 🤩. 1915685354_4167455-013AKCollection.jpg.825d1a2e36a0873cb8c32ccc4f272f04.jpg

• Like 18
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

I enjoy reviewing auction house results & have a "feel good moment" when I see a coin that is the same type as one in my collection that sold for far more than the price I paid. This recently happened to me when I spotted a Carthaginian tetradrachm that CNG auctioned two weeks ago for $4,680.00, pictured below. The CNG coin isn't as nice as my example & is noticeably lighter than my coin, so it is likely a late issue. 2087502648_NGC6060957-0127-8-20224680_00.jpg.807d6ebd199f21c605e343e7ddc5f884.jpg

The coin in my collection is pictured below ☺️. My coin cost less than $2,000.00 & I thought I overpaid for it at the time, however, I don't feel that way anymore & enjoy gloating about it 😉. If any other FVMIS FORVMS member has had a similar experience please share it 🤩. 1915685354_4167455-013AKCollection.jpg.825d1a2e36a0873cb8c32ccc4f272f04.jpg

Can soooo relate to this feeling on a win or deal@Al Kowsky- i love the type and have a few myself!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spaniard said:

@Al Kowsky....Yes I agree your example is much nicer!....I know nothing about this type and just assume the legend below the horse is the mint name ?...These letters seem to be different is that relevant??

Paul, They are two different inscriptions; a Quaestors issue or People of the Camp issue. Both coins are listed in Oliver Hoover's book, Handbook of Coins of Sicily (Including Lipara), #293 & 295. Both coins have the same rarity rating S, & the CNG website lists both coins with the same value. So neither is scarcer than the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:11 AM, Al Kowsky said:

If any other FVMIS FORVMS member has had a similar experience please share it 🤩.

These are strange times.  They must seem stranger to those who value their coins according to their potential for profit.  The problem I have is that any coin I could point to as gloatworthy are coins I would not sell so the gain is only 'on paper'.  This may be a lot like the 'paper' loss many of us have experienced in our stock portfolios.  Will things reverse again and coin and stocks return to previous levels?  IDK.  It makes no real difference right now.  I'm not selling Costco so I can buy coins (or the reverse).    

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • Benefactor

Rare but definitely worthwhile, my tribute penny was had for probably half price compared to an auction with less examples. When you have 15 tribute pennies in a row there is a chance of sniping fatigue, which is what happened in the last Leu web auction to my benefit, even with the 20% buyers fee, taxes, and shipping.

trib_penny.jpg.9e6c7bcc7550fdceb022305860b5c693.jpg

• Like 2