Coin Microscope? It works well?

Prieure de Sion

For the right zoom, all you need is an extension tube that fits your camera (and that works with your autofocus, although I normally focus manually).  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Andoer-Metal-Focus-Macro-Extension/dp/B06XW5SH54/

My 18-55mm zoom lens along with a 25mm extension tube accommodates most coins.  For very large coins I take out the extension tube.

Sample photo:

image.jpeg.d408ab9ba2400fae44dbf281623e8b0c.jpeg

The only "issue" with using an extension tube is that it can affect the outside corners of the image, but obviously this is never a problem with coins.

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Etcherdude said:

In my experience, a good camera and a copy stand really are your best bet. Copy stands can be improvised or found online cheaply.

Here’s an example:

This is the stand I use myself.  Only caveat is that it has a rather fixed distance, which means its really maxed out with my 100mm macro lens which has a minimum focal distance of 12 inches.  I think they make a larger version.  

1 hour ago, sand said:

That copy stand looks like something, that may be very helpful, to decrease camera shake, when I push the camera button.

Movement is always a problem.  If your camera supports it, and I think most modern models will, use a remote shutter/focus switch:  

1.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

This is the stand I use myself.  Only caveat is that it has a rather fixed distance, which means its really maxed out with my 100mm macro lens which has a minimum focal distance of 12 inches.

Yes, this can be a problem.  With my DIY copy stand (the upright is 20 inches from the desk surface) plus zoom lens and extension tube, you get maximum flexibility.  If you need a short focal length, support the coin on books and the lab jack.  But if you need a long one, you've got it.  This also lends flexibility to the lighting arrangement.  I'm experimenting right now with a ring light that just clips onto the upright and then is adjustable via a gooseneck for whatever position and angle you want.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

Yes, this can be a problem.  With my DIY copy stand (the upright is 20 inches from the desk surface) plus zoom lens and extension tube, you get maximum flexibility.  If you need a short focal length, support the coin on books and the lab jack.  But if you need a long one, you've got it.  This also lends flexibility to the lighting arrangement.  I'm experimenting right now with a ring light that just clips onto the upright and then is adjustable via a gooseneck for whatever position and angle you want.

I am constantly working on my setup and it changes a lot.  I just ordered a bunch of things today to try out, including this mount which will replace the camera stand and is extendable from 14 to 23 inches.  Anything less than that focal distance I will use as you point out a book or something to raise the coin up.

1.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KenDorney said:

I am constantly working on my setup and it changes a lot.  I just ordered a bunch of things today to try out, including this mount which will replace the camera stand and is extendable from 14 to 23 inches.  Anything less than that focal distance I will use as you point out a book or something to raise the coin up.

1.jpg

This looks like it’s made for photographing vertical objects rather than something lying on a horizontal surface…

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Etcherdude said:

This looks like it’s made for photographing vertical objects rather than something lying on a horizontal surface…

The ball joint (in the image to the right) fits over the top and can be adjusted to the angle desired.

• Like 2

Somehow I missed most of this. @Prieure de Sion that little microscope setup did surprisingly well! I can see of course why you'd want to minimize your photography apparati (?) though. 

I have a Nikon DSLR - 3200 - it's a little old for modern electronics, but still takes good photos - but the only lens I can use is an 18-140mm zoom lens. The closest I can get to the coin still results in a tiny, poorly focused image that requires a lot of cropping.

Most times I use my defunct smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy 6, to take the photos. It usually does better at close-ups than my other lens. 

I am really wishing I had a better method/setup though...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CPK said:

Somehow I missed most of this. @Prieure de Sion that little microscope setup did surprisingly well! I can see of course why you'd want to minimize your photography apparati (?) though. 

I have a Nikon DSLR - 3200 - it's a little old for modern electronics, but still takes good photos - but the only lens I can use is an 18-140mm zoom lens. The closest I can get to the coin still results in a tiny, poorly focused image that requires a lot of cropping.

Most times I use my defunct smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy 6, to take the photos. It usually does better at close-ups than my other lens. 

I am really wishing I had a better method/setup though...

I'm still looking for an ideal solution between professional photography and easy handling like with a mobile phone - without having to set up a photo studio. But that probably won't happen...

😂

8 hours ago, CPK said:

All you need is an extension tube, like the one I talk about above. (Here: https://www.numisforums.com/topic/689-coin-microscope-it-works-well/?do=findComment&comment=12139 .)  You will be amazed at the difference it makes, at a very low cost!  There will definitely be one available that will fit your camera.  Try it with your various lenses and see what works best for you.