Some things I have on hand...

Phil Davis

• Benefactor

I rarely have this many coins at home and I need to head to the safe deposit box soon, but before I do that, I thought it might be fun to post some group snaps of my most recent additions. These are just quick pics with my phone; no comments from the peanut gallery about the quality of the images! Lol. It's ironic; I spent many years professionally engaged with really high end photography and I'm a decent photographer myself, out in the world, but I could never warm up to macro photography: not flowers, not bugs, not coins.  

1895045519_2021obvxxx.jpg.a9e4c4d5e3ee382f8cd98edf1e8f20c4.jpg

909106013_2021Rev.jpg.3fde721d3a8cab3d9e9cf2b281f296cf.jpg

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 23
  • Yes 2
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 11

I have dreams like this.  I open a drawer, and... 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Then I wake up. 😫

And then I remember I get to look at them in your posts and I feel a bit better.  😊

6 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

These are just quick pics with my phone; no comments from the peanut gallery about the quality of the images! Lol. It's ironic; I spent many years professionally engaged with really high end photography and I'm a decent photographer myself, out in the world, but I could never warm up to macro photography: not flowers, not bugs, not coins.

Perfectly understandable.  But, well... for the rest of us who don't get to see them in person, I'm supposing you might know somebody in your vicinity who wouldn't mind swinging by and taking a few photos for you once in a while?  (I would think they'd be clamouring for the chance!)  It really would be fabulous for us to be able to see your glorious coins in something nearer to their full splendour.  Just a thought!  (Waking up from those dreams wouldn't be quite so bad then!)

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Popcorn 1

On 7/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, Phil Davis said:

I rarely have this many coins at home and I need to head to the safe deposit box soon, but before I do that, I thought it might be fun to post some group snaps of my most recent additions. These are just quick pics with my phone; no comments from the peanut gallery about the quality of the images! Lol. It's ironic; I spent many years professionally engaged with really high end photography and I'm a decent photographer myself, out in the world, but I could never warm up to macro photography: not flowers, not bugs, not coins.  

1895045519_2021obvxxx.jpg.a9e4c4d5e3ee382f8cd98edf1e8f20c4.jpg

909106013_2021Rev.jpg.3fde721d3a8cab3d9e9cf2b281f296cf.jpg

Phil,

I sometimes joke that I have better memory for my friends' coins than my own while provenance hunting.  Well, today, I came across the below coin. Look familiar?  DeFalco FPL 66 (Sep 1964) Lot 2020. 

Screenshot_20220723-163253_Dropbox.jpg.ac449c517f1c5c9af2aba9dfd7c62642.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, Carausius said:

Phil,

I sometimes joke that I have better memory for my friends' coins than my own while provenance hunting.  Well, today, I came across the below coin. Look familiar?  DeFalco FPL 66 (Sep 1964) Lot 2020. 

Good eye! Thanks! I also found that provenance, in Banti, but the scan of the actual catalogue is welcome.. 

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, Carausius said:

I sometimes joke that I have better memory for my friends' coins than my own while provenance hunting. 

That's a great skill to have @Carausius! I find the more time I spend doing "plate checks" (mindlessly flipping through catalog after catalog on Uni Heidelberg, Archive, or BNF-Gallica / INHA) the more I develop at least a temporary photographic memory, and start finding the same coins all over the place (even if not in my collection!). The hardest, most frustrating part often comes: Realizing I recognize that one little Abydos AE or Messene Hemiobol, but having no idea which of the  50 catalogs I scanned this week illustrated it! (Those two turned out to be Prowe-Egger III and Slg. H. Otto.)

@Phil Davis -- I love tray photography! Much more satisfying than seeing coins in high resolution with transparent backgrounds. I've never been able to figure out how some people can get them all in focus, though. I'm happy to just to capture a "feel" for the group. As for safety deposit box, I actually went and removed most of my favorites all at once to take group "tray photos" for a banner image when I decided to make a website last year. It was really exciting having them all together, but also very terrifying!

spacer.png

Edited by Curtis JJ
a preposition
  • Like 6

I agree finding a coin in the collection that has an older pedigree is really exciting. Some time ago I was searching on the Newman Numismatic Portal.  I was going through some old Harlan J Berk Mail Bid Sales. This was before he started his iconic Buy or Bid Sales. In Auction 4 Finishing on June 29 1978 I saw this

harlanjberkltd04harl_0004.jpg.7950a5bbb4eead3a7aea5961b33e776e.jpg

It had this description

harlanjberkltd04harl_0000.jpg.d3c41a2f99fcdc4b88ad0400bced08f0.jpg

I thought it looked familiar so I looked it up

Ar Denarius of L. Plautius Plancus 47 BC Obv Head of Medusa facing. Rv Aurora flying right head pointed slight to the left surrounded by four rearing horses of the sun.  Crawford 453/1a CRI 29 3.87 grms 19 mm Photo by W. Hansen453-c.jpg.024b0b70e9632775966688d337ecd1b5.jpgSame coin. Ever since I had first seen this type in the middle 1980's  I wanted one. The problem with this coin is that I like both sides so both sides need to be good. Furthermore I would like to see all the four horses.  Finally in 2014 I settled on this coin buying it in a Gorny & Mosch Auction 225 I will say that it was not completely perfect but (the top of the head of the outermost horse on the left is missing and the reverse is OC) but it was pretty good so I bought it. I knew nothing about its previous history. So sometime after 1979 this coin went from Chicago to Munich Germany. It does look like it did not gain much is value.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1