Galba's Dramatic Portraiture (and a recently found lengthy pedigree)

This is a case of adding a coin I wasn't expecting but one which has quickly become one of my favorites.

Galba has some of the most compelling and dramatic portraits on Roman coinage and I've always wanted an artistic example of his big bronze but they've either been in poor metal or at some exorbitant price point that just didn't make sense to me.

This coin is not in CoinArchives and the owner was a dealer who unfortunately had no record of where the collector bought it from. I'd ordinarily prefer to purchase a coin with a pedigree but took the gamble that I'd eventually find one, given that the surfaces look "old". 

I tried Ex-Numis with no luck but I do try to spend some time every day perusing catalogs, aided from @rNumis's wonderfully organized resource at https://www.rnumis.com/auctions_top.php?elookback=-1 

Fast forward a few days: the famous Hadrian "Britannia" sestertius had just been sold at the most recent NAC sale. The late owner, Geoffrey Cope, was a friend of mine and probably his most retold story was how Yves (the owner of the new Leu) found a pedigree for his sestertius in a rare catalog of the Sarti collection, allowing it to remain on display in the British Museum.

I thought to myself, "In honor of Geoffrey, I should check to see if rNumis/Gallica has the Sarti catalog". It did!

And, in my quickest turnaround of purchase -> begin pedigree search -> locate significant pedigree, shockingly, a few moments later, I found the Galba I had just purchased as well!

I'm thrilled with the coin both for the obverse as well as the refined reverse detail, especially in the feet and drapery. It's incredible what ancient artists were able to accomplish on a large canvas.

Here's what 100 years of imaging quality improvements can bring:

image.jpeg.5106fd5edc7fa69b17ab50eb9f6e8beb.jpeg

image.png.6869bbfdd607a7b029143916eb258ba3.png

I don't yet know where the coin was from 1906 until 2024 but it will certainly be a permanent resident in my collection.

Please post your Galbas to show his dynamic range of portraiture

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Mind blown 6
  • Heart Eyes 20

Posted · Supporter

Wow, spectacular as always AJ…wonderful portrait of Galba on a huge imperial bronze.  That Roma reverse is as good as it gets as well.  Congrats on another excellent addition.

I can share this tetradrachm from Antioch, which has my favorite portrait of an especially grumpy-looking Galba.

IMG_4342.jpeg.550fae3fc5f4027756871cf97547d451.jpeg

Galba, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch., AR Tetradrachm (27 mm, 14.30 g), ΑΥΤΟ]ΚΡΑΤⲰΡ ΓΑΛΒΑC ΚΑΙCΑΡ CЄΒ[ΑCΤΟC] Bare head of Galba to right./ Rev. [ΕΤΟΥC Β] Eagle with spread wings standing left on wreath, holding wreath in beak; palm frond to left. McAlee 308. RPC I 4198.

• Like 22
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted (edited)

That’s a wonderful sestertius @AncientJoe and with a top pedigree. Mine has a more somber portrait with Napoleonic vibes and a pedigree that goes to 1978 only. Still a proud part of my collection.

Galba, 68 – 69. 
Sestertius, circa 68 – 69, Æ 26.09 g. SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG TR P Laureate and draped bust r. Rev. LIBERTAS – PVBLICA Libertas, draped, standing l. holding pileus in r. hand and rod in l.; in field, S – C. C 112. BMC 69. RIC 388

IMG_4386.png

Edited by Meander
  • Like 24
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

It's a lovely piece, as one would expect from AncientJoe.  Really nice!

From the alpha to the omega; I present my nearly junkbox example.

Here's my not-so-nice but only photographed example of Galba.  The other one is worn but has a much more pleasing smooth patina.

35091q00.jpg.b5d7d4173dd0528ee459447d141ac695.jpg

Orichalcum sestertius, RIC I 245, BMCRE I 94, F, grainy, Rome mint, 20.650g, 35.1mm, 180o, c. 9 Jun - Aug 68 A.D.; obverse IMP SER GALBA AVG TR P, Laureate and draped bust right; reverse ROMA in exergue, Roma seated left on cuirass, vertical spear in right, left arm rests on shield set on helmet, S - C across fields

• Like 19

Posted (edited)

Congratulations!  Your coin's obverse is pretty much the artistic apex of Galba's portraiture, and the sharpness of Roma on the reverse is outstanding.

I think your coin is RIC 448, if I'm not mistaken.

Despite his less than stellar record as a ruler, Galba's bronzes might be the overall best in the first century A.D.  It is certainly one of the best in my collection:

image.jpeg.ff9e48129ca56f31fedbe233c2faf849.jpeg

GALBA  68 - 69 A.D.
AE Sestertius (28.10 g.)  Rome late summer 68 AD  RIC 309
IMP SER SVLP GALBA - CAESAR AVG TR P  Laureate and draped bust r.  Rev. LIBERTAS - PUBLICA  Libertas standing l., holding pileus and long scepter; S - C in field

Edited by idesofmarch01
  • Like 21
  • Heart Eyes 12

Posted · Supporter

image.png.464b58c6517867e9380f23307a9995d0.png

Galba, 68-69 As Tarraco (?) September to December 68, Æ 27mm., 11.17g. Laureate head r., with globe at point of the bust. Rev. Libertas standing l., holding pileus in r. hand and rod in l. C #. RIC 73.

image.png.8fbce6292f729bbfacbf60c7f16b172f.png

Galba, 68-69 Dupondius circa 69, Æ 29mm., 11.04g. Laureate and draped bust r. Rev. Pax standing l., holding branch and caduceus. C 149. RIC 284.

Dark patina, Good Fine.

image.png.bec242c64d4ea90cd2620696e3a497f1.png

GALBA (68-69), AR denier, 68-69, Rome. D / IMP SER GALBA AVG T. naked to r. R / SPQR / OB / CS in an oak wreath. BMC 314, 34; RIC 167. 2.73g Filled.(Fourree)
= Very Fine

These all exhibit a different portrait.

• Like 20

Wonderful addition, @AncientJoe. Galba's portrait and Roma are masterfully executed, and the vibrant green patina is also visually striking.

Here's my humbler contribution.

RomanImperial_Galba_Sestertius_Wreath.jpg.c5154d479ef99326ed8d46b463bcc68d.jpg

Galba. AD 68-69. AE Sestertius (36mm, 27.09 g). Rome mint. June-August AD 68. IMP SER GALBA AVG TR P, draped bust of Galba right, wreathed with oak laurel, seen from behind / S P Q R OB CIV SER, legend in three lines within oak wreath (corona civica). RIC I 263. 

Ex Ed’s Treasures Collection; Heritage Auctions, the Ed’s Treasures Collection of Ancient Coins Showcase Auction #61238 (5 December 2021), lot 99094; Superior Superior Stamp & Coin Co. NYINC Auction (11 December 1993), lot 1858; Numismatic Fine Arts, Auction V (23-24 February 1978), lot 396.

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 7

David Vagi in Coinage and the History of the Roman Empire said 'Most numismatists agree that the height of Roman coin portraiture occurred in the 1st Century A.D., when the "Twelve Caesars" chronicled by Suetonius ruled Rome. Many would also agree that the absolute peak occurred from 60 to 75, beginning with the last issues of Nero, encompassing the Civil War of 68-69 and ending with the early issues of the Flavians.' I cannot but agree. Superb coin AJ!

• Like 2
  • Yes 2

18 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

This is a case of adding a coin I wasn't expecting but one which has quickly become one of my favorites.

Galba has some of the most compelling and dramatic portraits on Roman coinage and I've always wanted an artistic example of his big bronze but they've either been in poor metal or at some exorbitant price point that just didn't make sense to me.

This coin is not in CoinArchives and the owner was a dealer who unfortunately had no record of where the collector bought it from. I'd ordinarily prefer to purchase a coin with a pedigree but took the gamble that I'd eventually find one, given that the surfaces look "old". 

I tried Ex-Numis with no luck but I do try to spend some time every day perusing catalogs, aided from @rNumis's wonderfully organized resource at https://www.rnumis.com/auctions_top.php?elookback=-1 

Fast forward a few days: the famous Hadrian "Britannia" sestertius had just been sold at the most recent NAC sale. The late owner, Geoffrey Cope, was a friend of mine and probably his most retold story was how Yves (the owner of the new Leu) found a pedigree for his sestertius in a rare catalog of the Sarti collection, allowing it to remain on display in the British Museum.

I thought to myself, "In honor of Geoffrey, I should check to see if rNumis/Gallica has the Sarti catalog". It did!

And, in my quickest turnaround of purchase -> begin pedigree search -> locate significant pedigree, shockingly, a few moments later, I found the Galba I had just purchased as well!

I'm thrilled with the coin both for the obverse as well as the refined reverse detail, especially in the feet and drapery. It's incredible what ancient artists were able to accomplish on a large canvas.

I don't yet know where the coin was from 1906 until 2024 but it will certainly be a permanent resident in my collection.

@AncientJoe that is an amazing coin, congratz!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Congrats Joe! That's a marvelous acquisition and a welcome reminder that the very best ancient coins--even now--don't always appear at auction. The portrait speaks for itself, but I'm probably even more impressed with the reverse: absolutely the finest, most detailed depiction of Roma I've seen anywhere, in any numismatic context. You'll surely find at least some of the intervening  provenances.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 7

Very handsome coin, congrats.

galbatet.jpg.40a53f60932ce064f78b298408ff0a27.jpg

Galba (68 - 69 A.D.)

AR Tetradrachm
SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch
O: AYTOKPATWP GALBA C KAICAP CEBACTOC, bare head right.
R: Eagle standing left, wreath in beak, on two laurel branches; palm to left, ETOYC B (date) below.
Antioch Mint
14.4g
26mm
RPC I 4198; Prieur 100; SNG Copenhagen 163

galbatet2.jpg.20364ad23c5bae0fff5038651d266d2a.jpg

Galba (68 - 69 A.D.)

Egypt, Alexandria
Billon Tetradrachm
O: ΛOYK ΛIB ΣOYΛΠ ΓAΛBA KAIΣ ΣEB AV, laureate head right, LA (date) before, LA = 68 A.D.
R: ΡΩ-MH, helmeted, draped bust of Roma right, holding spear and shield.
23mm
13.6g
Milne 317, RPC 5330; Köln 223; Dattari (Savio) 314; K&G 17.6.

• Like 11

What a superb sestertius of Galba. A majestic portrait coupled with an intricately detailed depiction of Roma seated. I don;t think I have ever seen a better one of this type.

I have collected Galba;s coins for many years now, adding them to my collection as I find them. They depict a range of portraitures.

Galba Sestertius LIBERTAS - OBV REV - VGP May 20 2024.png

Galba Sestertius SPQR Wreath - OBV:REV - VGP  - 2024  best?.png

Galba Sestertius Victoria - OBV:REV - VGP - NEW - 2021 - 2023.png

Galba Dupondius Standards - OBV:REV - VGP - 2023 - 2024 .png

Galba  as Standards - example 2  - OBV:REV - VGP - 2023 - 2024 .png

Galba As VESTA - OBV REV - GP - 2024.png

Galba  as wreath  - OBV:REV - VGP - 2023 - 2024 - best .png

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

A fantastic acquisition, @AncientJoe, and I agree with others that the depiction of Roma on the reverse is unmatched. (The fact that she's presented in Amazonian fashion, with one bare breast, is somewhat reminiscent of depictions of Virtus. See, e.g., the discussion in the 2014 article by Lillian Joyce entitled "Roma and the Virtuous Breast," in the publication Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome 59-60 (2014), pp. 1-49.) 

My one denarius of Galba is nothing special, but I happen to love the portrait. A real "noble Roman"! No pedigree at all, unfortunately.

Galba AR Denarius, Aug-Oct 68 AD Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head right, IMP SER GALBA AVG / Rev. S P Q R/ O • B/ C S [OB CS = OB CIVES SERVATOS (For Saving the Citizens)] in three lines within oak wreath. RIC I 167, RSC II 287, Sear RCV I 2109 (ill.). 18.33 mm., 3.29 g. Purchased from Marc R. Breitsprecher, April 7, 2020.

image.png.b1068b005af5d808adca63d857aa33b0.png

I also have one Galba coin from Roman Alexandria. I can't look at it without instinctively thinking it's a portrait of Nerva!

Galba Billon Tetradrachm, Year 1 (AD 68), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ΛΟΥΚ ΛΙΒ ΣΟΥΛΠ ΓΑΛΒΑ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΑΥΤ (beginning at 7:00); LA (Year 1) in lower right field / Rev. Bust of Roma right, wearing crested helmet and cuirass, with spear held obliquely in front of chest and shield held behind left shoulder; ΡΩ-ΜΗ [ROMA] (beginning at 9:00). 25 mm., 13.43 g., 1 h. Emmett 174.1, RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. I 5330 (1992); RPC I Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5330; Milne 319 at p. 9 (Legend A3, ending in “AYT”); K & G 17.6; BMC 16 Alexandria 197 (at p. 24); SNG France 4, Alexandrie I 631-632. Purchased at CNG [Classical Numismatic Group, LLC] E-Auction 512, 23 March 2022, Lot 433.

image.png.946ad18b951f8621235af4e6093acae6.png

• Like 13

On 5/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, AncientJoe said:

I know it is not the most beautiful specimen in my collection, but it is the second recorded denarius of this type.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=96254

IMG-c0d4e26f01051dac53cd8a0ba2392893-V.jpg

IMG-405db63cb0f566ea81c9371c32eddef1-V.jpg

• Like 5

My only Galba As is nothing but a poorman's version of your wonderful sestertius @AncientJoe. At least, it's a scarce one

cbf30d29b5a741af80b3d3be7969e87a.jpg

Galba, As - Lugdunum mint, 68 CE
SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG PON M TR P PP, Laureate head of Galba right
Rome seated left, SC in field
10,60 gr
Ref : Cohen #182, RIC -, see BM #248 (same obverse die), Gorny&Mosch auction 76, 22.04.1996, n° 405 and Müller auction 15, 19-20.09.1975, n° 152. (same dies)

Q

• Like 9

On 5/19/2024 at 12:24 PM, idesofmarch01 said:

Congratulations!  Your coin's obverse is pretty much the artistic apex of Galba's portraiture, and the sharpness of Roma on the reverse is outstanding.

I think your coin is RIC 448, if I'm not mistaken.

Despite his less than stellar record as a ruler, Galba's bronzes might be the overall best in the first century A.D.  It is certainly one of the best in my collection:

image.jpeg.ff9e48129ca56f31fedbe233c2faf849.jpeg

GALBA  68 - 69 A.D.
AE Sestertius (28.10 g.)  Rome late summer 68 AD  RIC 309
IMP SER SVLP GALBA - CAESAR AVG TR P  Laureate and draped bust r.  Rev. LIBERTAS - PUBLICA  Libertas standing l., holding pileus and long scepter; S - C in field

Yours is an excellent coin, @idesofmarch01, and one which I was using as a reference when trying to come up with a price for mine. Yours is also one of the most dramatic portraits I've seen across the semi-recently sold examples.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:36 PM, DonnaML said:

A fantastic acquisition, @AncientJoe, and I agree with others that the depiction of Roma on the reverse is unmatched. (The fact that she's presented in Amazonian fashion, with one bare breast, is somewhat reminiscent of depictions of Virtus. See, e.g., the discussion in the 2014 article by Lillian Joyce entitled "Roma and the Virtuous Breast," in the publication Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome 59-60 (2014), pp. 1-49.) 

My one denarius of Galba is nothing special, but I happen to love the portrait. A real "noble Roman"! No pedigree at all, unfortunately.

Galba AR Denarius, Aug-Oct 68 AD Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head right, IMP SER GALBA AVG / Rev. S P Q R/ O • B/ C S [OB CS = OB CIVES SERVATOS (For Saving the Citizens)] in three lines within oak wreath. RIC I 167, RSC II 287, Sear RCV I 2109 (ill.). 18.33 mm., 3.29 g. Purchased from Marc R. Breitsprecher, April 7, 2020.

image.png.b1068b005af5d808adca63d857aa33b0.png

I also have one Galba coin from Roman Alexandria. I can't look at it without instinctively thinking it's a portrait of Nerva!

Galba Billon Tetradrachm, Year 1 (AD 68), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ΛΟΥΚ ΛΙΒ ΣΟΥΛΠ ΓΑΛΒΑ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΑΥΤ (beginning at 7:00); LA (Year 1) in lower right field / Rev. Bust of Roma right, wearing crested helmet and cuirass, with spear held obliquely in front of chest and shield held behind left shoulder; ΡΩ-ΜΗ [ROMA] (beginning at 9:00). 25 mm., 13.43 g., 1 h. Emmett 174.1, RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. I 5330 (1992); RPC I Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5330; Milne 319 at p. 9 (Legend A3, ending in “AYT”); K & G 17.6; BMC 16 Alexandria 197 (at p. 24); SNG France 4, Alexandrie I 631-632. Purchased at CNG [Classical Numismatic Group, LLC] E-Auction 512, 23 March 2022, Lot 433.

image.png.946ad18b951f8621235af4e6093acae6.png

Thanks for the lead on the Virtus connection, Donna! That article was an excellent read (and your Galba tet does indeed evoke an uncanny Nerva!)

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 6:23 AM, Phil Davis said:

Congrats Joe! That's a marvelous acquisition and a welcome reminder that the very best ancient coins--even now--don't always appear at auction. The portrait speaks for itself, but I'm probably even more impressed with the reverse: absolutely the finest, most detailed depiction of Roma I've seen anywhere, in any numismatic context. You'll surely find at least some of the intervening  provenances.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 12:14 PM, Meander said:

That’s a wonderful sestertius @AncientJoe and with a top pedigree. Mine has a more somber portrait with Napoleonic vibes and a pedigree that goes to 1978 only. Still a proud part of my collection.

Galba, 68 – 69. 
Sestertius, circa 68 – 69, Æ 26.09 g. SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG TR P Laureate and draped bust r. Rev. LIBERTAS – PVBLICA Libertas, draped, standing l. holding pileus in r. hand and rod in l.; in field, S – C. C 112. BMC 69. RIC 388

IMG_4386.png

Thanks @Meander, and your medallic flan is incredible. What is the diameter of your coin? I'd have to look more closely but I wonder if those are as dies on a sestertius (or just an uncommonly broad flan?)

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 1