Julius Caesar coins on Ebay

• Benefactor

I've been poking around looking for a Caesar Elephant coin and they seem to have a bevy available on Ebay. About $975 for a G/VG coin and $1250 or so for a F/F+ example. VF ones seem to be to be over $2000. I am wary of fakes. Any advice on where to procure one of these outside of Ebay? I'm looking to perhaps pull the trigger by July, appropriately enough (the month named after the Dictator-for-life). I am down to three needed for a complete set of Suetonius' 12 Caesars needing only Otho and Vitellius after Julius.

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

FYI and perhaps needless to say, Numiscorner on VCoins is the same company as CDMA [ = Comptoir Des Monnaies Anciennes] on MA-Shops. Hence the same coin! Why that company uses different names on the two platforms, I have no idea.

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

It's crazy how prices for these have gone up in recent years. In 2019, mine hammered for €175 at Artemide, which I consider a fairly reputable dealer. Back then, I thought of this as a good but not exceptionally low price. Today, it would be a steal.

RomischeRepublikRRC4431DenarJuliusCaesarElephant.png.bb3e75344b0785327d1d1a4ae88600b9.png

Roman Republic, Imperatorial Coinage, Julius Caesar, AR denarius, 49–48 BC, military mint moving with Caesar. Obv: [CA]ESAR; elephant walking r., trampling snake. Rev: priestly implements: culullus, aspergillum, axe, apex. 20mm, 3.70g. Ref: RRC 443/1.

But concerning OP's question: if I were you, I'd consider a strategy of continuously placing low-ball bids at auctions and hoping that one will eventually come through. It might take some time and patience, but you might be able to get a nice example for under retail. Since Caesar's elephant denarii are quite common, there are always a couple of listings on biddr etc.

• Like 7
  • Yes 2

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I've been poking around looking for a Caesar Elephant coin and they seem to have a bevy available on Ebay. About $975 for a G/VG coin and $1250 or so for a F/F+ example. VF ones seem to be to be over $2000. I am wary of fakes. Any advice on where to procure one of these outside of Ebay? I'm looking to perhaps pull the trigger by July, appropriately enough (the month named after the Dictator-for-life). I am down to three needed for a complete set of Suetonius' 12 Caesars needing only Otho and Vitellius after Julius.

Suggestion (from personal perspective too): try to aim for one where the 'CAESAR' is legible. Furthermore, I agree with the advice of @Ursus, for what its worth. 

Good luck hunting! 

Edited by Limes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
8 minutes ago, Ursus said:

It's crazy how prices for these have gone up in recent years. In 2019, mine hammered for €175 at Artemide, which I consider a fairly reputable dealer. Back then, I thought of this as a good but not exceptionally low price. Today, it would be a steal.

RomischeRepublikRRC4431DenarJuliusCaesarElephant.png.bb3e75344b0785327d1d1a4ae88600b9.png

Roman Republic, Imperatorial Coinage, Julius Caesar, AR denarius, 49–48 BC, military mint moving with Caesar. Obv: [CA]ESAR; elephant walking r., trampling snake. Rev: priestly implements: culullus, aspergillum, axe, apex. 20mm, 3.70g. Ref: RRC 443/1.

But concerning OP's question: if I were you, I'd consider a strategy of continuously placing low-ball bids at auctions and hoping that one will eventually come through. It might take some time and patience, but you might be able to get a nice example for under retail. Since Caesar's elephant denarii are quite common, there are always a couple of listings on biddr etc.

Looks something like the one for sale by Marc Raffler for $480 -- by far the cheapest one available, and not the worst I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
9 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Looks something like the one for sale by Marc Raffler for $480 -- by far the cheapest one available, and not the worst I think.

I generally agree.

Raffler's coin is much better centered and more evenly struck than mine, but it has more wear and slightly rougher surfaces. The relative importance of these point is in the eye of the individual beholder, but in my opinion, the two coins come down to being more or less equally attractive.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I do think having a legible Caesar legend is important, particularly if you are showing it to a non-collector for presentation purposes. I'll keep looking. M-A shops appears to be the best option. I'll also check maybe Marc Breitsprecher he has thousands of coins in inventory. I've purchased two from him so far. Maybe Forum as well. I suppose I could also deputize a dealer with the duty of letting me know when they get their hands on a good example which I will buy.

• Like 1

WOW, had no clue that prices have risen so much during my hiatus!

I wonder if I can afford my coins now?

image.png.6042dbf82eeb610768e20b9c1c5d89b2.png

RImp Julius Caesar Lifetime P Sepullius Macer AR Den1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g. CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled - Venus Victory sceptre star Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14 Rare -2

I am spending a lot of money feeding hay to this guy...

image.png.904c36bec76ec489344c3dc6f6e28975.png

RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant trampling snake-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

• Like 13

Probably the cheapest Julius Caesar denarius that I've ever seen, although its condition leaves much to be desired. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/175767175092?customid=&toolid=10050

Untitled.png.a28a01c333b30852e3253fc84d75a158.png

That being said, it's worth noting that these elephant denarii of Julius Caesar are among if not the most counterfeited ancient coins. As some who hunts for bargains on ebay I've encountered remarkably convincing fakes, ranging from near-mint specimens to heavily worn ones, the latter being more dangerous because they price it accordingly so you'd assume it's an original coin. 

If you must add this particular type, Ma-shops or Vcoins are the way to go. Alternatively, there are options of other Julius Caesar coin types available, such as those featuring Venus and captives, trophy designs, or his lifetime dupondius, often offered at more reasonable prices and in better condition. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My Caesar & Pompey denarii certainly aren’t winning any beauty contests.

I bought my Caesar from Aegean Numismatics. I think I paid $330 for it. Both Aegean Numismatics & Incitatus Coins are the Vcoins dealers to look out for budget examples of Caesar denarii:

image.jpeg.fbc370959389a532141a96d0adbd295d.jpeg

I bought my Pompey portrait denarius from Eid Mar Auctions on Biddr. The outline of Pompey’s bust is still clearly visible on the obverse. Unfortunately, the reverse is nearly worn slick. I find it funny that the auction house described this coin as grading “Very Fine”:

877CE1EC-C41F-4D7A-9E23-5EAB6AFB996B.jpeg.4e5efac627197974b5ab73ace4586695.jpeg

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 10