A bit of green. Should I be worried?

Furryfrog02

This guy arrived in the mail today. I almost had a heart attack when I bought it. I didn't at the decimal in the bid and accidentally placed a 4 digit bid on the coin. Luckily, it still landed in a reasonable price and I was more than happy to add him to my small but slowly growing collection of denarii. I'm a bit concerned about the green patch on the reverse though. It isn't flakey like BD so I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or not. Is there anything I could/should do? 

Thanks in advance for the advice!

21297528_SeptimusSeverusDenariusVICTPARTHICAE.png.6e9449af7798013d4dfcd59084660ce8.png

Septimus Severus
198-202 AD
AR denarius
Rome
Obverse: L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laurate head right 
Reverse: VICT PARTHICAE, Victory walking left, holding wreath and trophy, captive at feet left

• Like 7

• Benefactor

Ummm, probably not a huge deal on an AR coin ... it's already 2000 years old, so I don't think it'll be a biggee (it looks like a nice, cool hard-green bit of personality, to me anyway)

Hi

=> Oh, sweet coin (congrats)

NOTE: but $10 says some turd will come after me and tell you to wash it wish verdi-wash, or whatever it's called

😇

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Yes definitely due to another coin on top of this one and a piece remains fused to yours. Not bronze disease at all.

I had the same thing happen to me on an antoninianus of Trajan Decius but I used citric acid and a toothpick to carefully remove the deposits. It is possible if you have the fortitude to attempt it.

• Like 1

It reminds me of a small green spot on a the obverse of my antoninianus of Caracalla. I don't mind. Im not sure what caused it. Is it even possible to have BD on a silver coin? How much inpurity is needed for BD to occur on a denarius or antoninianus? 

30.2.png.e6ef258f374cee6a1a970d3fa89ef7e0.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Limes said:

Is it even possible to have BD on a silver coin? How much inpurity is needed for BD to occur on a denarius or antoninianus?

This is a good question and I can’t find an answer. Coins sometimes described as ‘silver’ contain as little as 2% silver, which seems too little even to be called billon. The later antoninianus had less silver than the nummus (5%) which is usually described as bronze, and can get bronze disease.

But even earlier Roman silver coins contain a lot of bronze and so presumably this bronze can be affected by chlorides. Does the silver help stop the reaction, or is there a point when there isn’t enough copper for the reaction to continue?

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Romismatist said:

Yes definitely due to another coin on top of this one and a piece remains fused to yours. Not bronze disease at all.

I had the same thing happen to me on an antoninianus of Trajan Decius but I used citric acid and a toothpick to carefully remove the deposits. It is possible if you have the fortitude to attempt it.

I don't think I have the fortitude!