A small milestone - Justin II and Sophia

ela126

In the end I do admit I conceded on quality with the final acquisition but for now my brain can rest.

The Justin II and Sophia follis are as common as the day is long, but like any Byzantine coin, finding good ones takes some work. In 2021 I picked up the Nikomedia example from Leu, appreciated it, and set it aside.

In early 2023, I got the Constantinople piece off eBay, I assume the previous owner left no instructions on his coins and it was liquidated for $25 on eBay. I saw the details and cleaned it up, now I’m thrilled with it, maybe one of the better I’ve ever found.

The Cyzicus coin was purchased from a friend who wanted to unload it. It was dusty and priced to me for 40 dollars. I received it, looked at it and decided, let’s wax and see what happens… never in the 600-700 coins I’ve cleaned has a patina responded so well to Ren Wax. What color! The details that already exist are accentuated and the lovely green gloss patina is just an absolute cherry in my book.

Now I was left itching for the Antioch piece, which up til late 2023 I had no plans on picking up.. in my research I find it’s the least common and usually most worn. After 4 months of searching I finally decided to buy an uncleaned example as a snack along with my targets. Cleaned it up over the last few days and there it is. Seems a little underwhelming compared to the others but I do find coins “rest and improve” for a few weeks after cleaning (or at least I’m telling myself that.) I’ll stay on the hunt for a better example but for now I can check off that box with a pencil mark.

please post your Justin II and Sophia pieces!

IMG_6635.jpeg.d388805b77f37dc114a4eb8566dc98e6.jpegIMG_6637.jpeg.37f3865c04d0f938a0a3f26999a1ec64.jpeg

• Like 20

Gorgeous specimens, @ela126! Lovely patination on each, too. 

My only coin of the imperial couple is this one from Nicomedia.

[IMG]
Justin II and wife Sophia, AD 565-578.
Byzantine Æ follis, 31.2 mm, 14.52 g, 12 h.
Nicomedia, AD 570/71.
Obv: DN IVSTINVS PP AVG, Justin, on left, holding globus cruciger and Sophia, on right, holding cruciform scepter.
Rev: Large M, surmounted by cross; officina B below; ANNO at left; G (regnal year 6) at right; NIKO in exergue
Refs: Sear Byz 369; Dumbarton Oaks 96a; MIBE 46b.

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

Very nice collection @ela126! I'm glad that Sophie received some numismatic cred since she had to deal with her husband's insanity. Byzantine coins featuring women remained rare throughout the empire's entire run.

My only example comes from Nikomedia. It was the nicest example that I have come across. I agree that decent examples of this series don't appear often, though the type itself appears with great frequency.

569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_01.png.e6c6f1319e74ca0d6969305381e6c277.png569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_02.png.a075e7d913e32cd9562afefa6481c28b.png
Justin II & Sophie (Year 5, 569 - 570), Æ Follis, 31.4mm, 11.83g, Nicomedia, Obv: DN IVUSTINUS PP AVG Justin II and Sophie seated facing forward, each with nimbus, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter; Rev: ANNO U, large M surmounted by cross, with B below, NIKO in exergue, Sear 369

• Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

minted at Cyzicus during the reign of Justin II w/ Sophia between 15 Nov. 565 – 5 Oct. 578, with a regnal date of 574/5. Obv. D.N.IVSTINVS.P.P.AVG.: Justin on l., Sophia, on r., seated facing on double throne, both nimbate (except for some specimens of unusual style dated year 10); he holds gl. Cr., she holds cruciform sceptre; with cross between their heads. Rev. Large M between A/N/N/O, and numerals representing regnal year; above, cross; beneath Officina letter, in ex. KYZ. BCVS #372. CBE #10 pg.77.

73 JUSTIN II S-372  OBV.jpg

73 JUSTIN II S-372  REV.jpg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Rand said:

Congratulations, this is a great set of beautiful examples!

Sure is!  They're all far above average, and the patina on the bottom right one really makes up for the little bit of wear.  Well done!

This issue always reminded me of the Dr. Who Sylvester McCoy episode where a creepy circus was entertaining the Gods of Ragnarok.  Looks just like them.

• Like 1

sophia.jpg.459318eb0a8a3094ca87f88c837d9f4e.jpg

Justin II & Sophia (565 - 578 A.D.)
Æ Follis
O: D N VSTI NVS P P AV, nimbate figures of Justin and Sophia seated facing on double throne, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter, respectively.
R: Large M; A/N/N/O to left, Chi-Rho above, (date) to right; B//CON
Constantinople Mint, Year 10
29mm
14g
DOC I 38; SB 360

• Like 12

Here's an 8 Pentanummia type from Cherson with Justin and Sophia (SBC 605):

Interesting that the Emperor's name is not shown on the coin.

Obv: XER-CONOC; Justin holding globus cruciger and Sophia holding cross scepter standing, cross between their heads

Rev: Large H; Tiberius standing facing and holding staff surmounted by Christogram to left, cross above

image.png.0f698e1f851013eabc5641582ac01f62.png

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

During the reign of Justin II, the Carthage mint issued an innovative type depicting the imperial couple as on the joint reign issues from the other mints, but instead of a seated pair, their images are reduced to truncated busts above an exergual line, below which is the acclamation: "VITA". This adaption necessitated changing their names from the nominative to the dative case.

On this example the portrait of Sophia is flatly struck, but the "VITA" in the exergue is clear.

Carthage, 572/3. Follis, 14.81 gr. 30 mm. 12 hr. Sear 393; Hahn 73; DO 198; BNP 15-16.

Obverse: DN IVSTI[NO ET SOFIAE AVG]. Facing busts of Justin, in military dress and Sophia, crowned and draped. VITA below.

Reverse: M. Cross above. To left, [A/N/N/O]; to right, V/III. Beneath, S. In exergue, [K]AR.

Hahn, in Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire Continued, p. 31 speculates that the S beneath the denomination mark may refer to the 6th indictional year as well as to the 2nd. officina of the mint.

S0393_02.jpg.59732640655c14595c6a84da9f5778bd.jpg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, voulgaroktonou said:

During the reign of Justin II, the Carthage mint issued an innovative type depicting the imperial couple as on the joint reign issues from the other mints, but instead of a seated pair, their images are reduced to truncated busts above an exergual line, below which is the acclamation: "VITA". This adaption necessitated changing their names from the nominative to the dative case.

On this example the portrait of Sophia is flatly struck, but the "VITA" in the exergue is clear.

Carthage, 572/3. Follis, 14.81 gr. 30 mm. 12 hr. Sear 393; Hahn 73; DO 198; BNP 15-16.

Obverse: DN IVSTI[NO ET SOFIAE AVG]. Facing busts of Justin, in military dress and Sophia, crowned and draped. VITA below.

Reverse: M. Cross above. To left, [A/N/N/O]; to right, V/III. Beneath, S. In exergue, [K]AR.

Hahn, in Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire Continued, p. 31 speculates that the S beneath the denomination mark may refer to the 6th indictional year as well as to the 2nd. officina of the mint.

S0393_02.jpg.59732640655c14595c6a84da9f5778bd.jpg

wonderful piece, ive come across a number of half follis of carthage, which are similiar, but have never seen a full Follis. Excellent quality for the type no less.

Interesting about the S as well, i do want to say i've seen one other coin with a S in this place, although didn't think to make this link. Also, interestingly, there is a Justinian Follis of Carthage currently on the current Sol Numismatik auction with 4 pellets in place of the standard officina mark.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ela126 said:

wonderful piece, ive come across a number of half follis of carthage, which are similiar, but have never seen a full Follis. Excellent quality for the type no less.

Interesting about the S as well, i do want to say i've seen one other coin with a S in this place, although didn't think to make this link. Also, interestingly, there is a Justinian Follis of Carthage currently on the current Sol Numismatik auction with 4 pellets in place of the standard officina mark.

Thank you. It's not the best, but it's the best of my examples! 🙂

• Like 1

@ela126 : Wow, that is one tough coin to find. Congrats!

As long as I'm here, this is an ae half follis type from Carthage (21mm, 7.5gms). Again, not the best but it's one of the few I've come across:

Obv: (Fragmentary legend); Justin (on left) and Sophia seated facing on throne

Rev: Two Victories stg facing each other holding shield ornamented with star, cross above; large K over NM below

Ref: SBC 396 (Carthage)

JustinIIHalfFollisCarthage396.jpg.8b39b7bdf97d3da77ada974e8e8bdf08.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

This is my most interesting Justin II & Sophia. 

JustinIISophiaDecanummiumCarthage.png.6e625702460379ca9b82d7c970a2bc57.png

Justin II and Sophia, AE Decanummium, Carthage. DN IVSTINO ET SOFIA AG (usually garbled or illegible), Facing busts of Justin (helmeted and cuirassed) and Sophia (crowned and draped), cross between their heads, VITA below / Large I, N to left, M to right, sometimes with two dots above.

Sadly, I do not have a good looking follis.

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, Furryfrog02 said:

This is my most interesting Justin II & Sophia. 

JustinIISophiaDecanummiumCarthage.png.6e625702460379ca9b82d7c970a2bc57.png

Justin II and Sophia, AE Decanummium, Carthage. DN IVSTINO ET SOFIA AG (usually garbled or illegible), Facing busts of Justin (helmeted and cuirassed) and Sophia (crowned and draped), cross between their heads, VITA below / Large I, N to left, M to right, sometimes with two dots above.

Sadly, I do not have a good looking follis.

Very handsome example. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Some nice Byzantine coins in this thread!

I have a Justin II and Sophia half follis from the Antioch mint. It's a particular favorite of mine due to the misshapen flan.

JustinII_and_Sophia_Combined.jpg.4ba690618ab4bc2410338eb8437eda70.jpg

Justin II & Sophia, Byzantine Empire, 565 – 578 AD, AE25 ½ Follis, Antioch mint.; 27mm, 6.62 grams.

Obv: Justin II and Sophia facing. Cross between.

Rev: K, ANNO left, cross above, R in ex. X with star left.

SB 831

ex. David Connors

• Like 8