Ptolemaic Bronzes

Amarmur

Hi I have a question on Ptolemaic bronzes. Generally does pricing depend on weight and size aside for condition. I am not familiar with the market. I paid $92 for this tetrobol of Ptolemy III. It isn't the biggest weight but it is 47 grams and it is in ok shape nothing too nice nor terrible either. The surface is a tad grainy. How much do generally the biggest Ptolemaic Egypt coins cost? 

2073289F-BF5B-4BD7-A9E7-3BF0C835E501.jpeg

5A9CBBF2-0C26-44C7-A1C3-6F2F858B6BFE.jpeg

• Like 12

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Nice coin!

My experience with these large, impressive coins is that price is determined on rarity, condition, strike and size.  Collectors pay a premium, it seems, for the truly massive bronze coins of Ptolemy IV, some measuring 46mm and weighing up to 90 grams or more.  Those examples are much scarcer based on my experience.

Here's one of my so-so examples. It displays very much the same surfaces as the OP coin: a little porous and with a somewhat uneven strike.   

Egypt, Ptolemy IV Philopator, AE Drachm, Alexandria mint. 222-205 BC.

66.15  grams

D-CameraPTOLEMYIVPhilopatorAEDrachmAlexandriamint.222-205BC66.15g10-24-20.jpg.b888c8c7bb4ad1dbf77610934d3fc3c8.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9

Posted · Supporter

Cool chonker from Ptolemaic Egypt!

Not just weight and size=$. Detail and condition do come into play... but who doesn't want a massive hunk of ancient metal?

Yours is a good looking example with eye appeal. Certainly better looking than mine. Though I picked this up for 28€, before all the additional auction house juice a couple years ago:

2456643_1640704163.l-removebg-preview.png.b6796fd58bf4b116bc3588489132cbbf.png

40 mm, 46,3 gr

• Like 7

I did spot a few super large ones on eBay but the prices are woof around $800 to a grand. The largest are called octobols. They are unfortunately out of my budget as much as I would like one. I think I'm happy with the example I have. idk if I can afford a bigger one. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Prices are all over the place for these. In general:

• The heaviest coins always bring a premium. I'd love one of the 90g octobols some day, but they can get pricy.
  • Better details can cause the prices to skyrocket, but you have to be careful. Many of these coins are tooled.
  • The auction house matters. On some sites they go for a lot more than on others.

FWIW, here's my drachm. I was very happy to pick it up for $90.

497_Full.jpg.00203aaeaef2108dc24bd9e76e20770a.jpg

Ptolemy IV Philopator
222-205/4 BCE
AE Drachm 41.4mm 66.2g
Alexandreia Mint
Obv: Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia
Rev: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, filleted cornucopia to left; LI between legs
Ref: Svoronos 1126

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Prices are all over the place for these. In general:

• The heaviest coins always bring a premium. I'd love one of the 90g octobols some day, but they can get pricy.
  • Better details can cause the prices to skyrocket, but you have to be careful. Many of these coins are tooled.
  • The auction house matters. On some sites they go for a lot more than on others.

FWIW, here's my drachm. I was very happy to pick it up for $90.

497_Full.jpg.00203aaeaef2108dc24bd9e76e20770a.jpg

Ptolemy IV Philopator
222-205/4 BCE
AE Drachm 41.4mm 66.2g
Alexandreia Mint
Obv: Head of Zeus-Ammon right, wearing tainia
Rev: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, filleted cornucopia to left; LI between legs
Ref: Svoronos 1126

Ah the size to me is the biggest appeal. These are some of the largest coins in antiquity. I prefer to collect Roman Egypt coins for the variety of designs. These Zeus Greek Egypt coins are cool too but I don't think I want more unless I upgrade this one to a bigger size. I assume the smaller denominations of Ptolemic bronzes like diobol don't fetch high prices unless the condition is exceptional, my first ptolemy coin bronze was very cheap and small.

I haven't really found a focus area of ancient collecting but I have always loved big bronzes. A Flavian Sestertius in good shape is next on my radar. 

FA77575E-8C5E-4D09-9DA3-3E94C6179DEE.jpeg

6E57D6F5-A749-4C02-ACAA-F57CCFEC3687.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 7:15 PM, Amarmur said:

I did spot a few super large ones on eBay but the prices are woof around $800 to a grand. The largest are called octobols. They are unfortunately out of my budget as much as I would like one. I think I'm happy with the example I have. idk if I can afford a bigger one. 

New member here.

Roma numismatic has a dozen or so on their shop, probably "unsolds"

https://www.romanumismatics.com/index.php?option=com_timed_auction&view=shop