ancient VaultBox VI (Classical Numismatics video)

Well, a $650 mystery box isn't something I would do.  Would you?

Mystery boxes in general just seem not to work out.  Yes, some sight unseen coins have worked out in the past, such as Dr. Fishman's c. 2009 $25 tetrarchal folles, but that's $25, not $650.

I enjoy the Classical Numismatics youtube channel.

• Like 2

the only benefit i see here is potentially the gambling collectors, who likely will lose money, will see the low buyback amounts of the coins and realize "wow, these are significnatly less expensive than modern coinage... maybe i should look more into ancients as they appear to be affordable"

That is if they're not immediately soured at losing 84% of their purchase value.

• Like 1

My recent Nicephorus III Electrum nomisma and nice Magnus Maximus siliqua totalled to that amount.  I'm getting a lot more pleasure out of my buy.  I wouldn't take a risk like that on the 'vault box.'  Perhaps if it was $150, or something like that, with one coin inside...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

My recent Nicephorus III Electrum nomisma and nice Magnus Maximus siliqua totalled to that amount.  I'm getting a lot more pleasure out of my buy.  I wouldn't take a risk like that on the 'vault box.'  Perhaps if it was $150, or something like that, with one coin inside...

sseries 3 and 4 were 1 coin per box (i want to say at 200 each but i dont really know). Series 1, 2, and 5 were 3 coin format. so far i believe all of them have sold out quickly, and intially with significant resale premiums (apparently 66% premium during the first day)... crazy that so many rather gamble than just buy the coins themselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I'm not sure what the victoriatus from the "sol-uuu-dus" video would go for, but I wouldn't have been all that happy with it, after spending $650.

Not worth $650. It's from the recent hoard that hit the market from the looks of it. The coins are 80-90% badly struck or with bad surfaces or both like this one and would not sell well to actual collectors but they're a slabber's dream because all are "MS" or "AU" and as such most have been sold by outfits like this that cater to people who know nothing about ancients

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This video is the most erudite of the VI videos that I've come across.  Too bad he received such poor coins (for the purchase price).  He really deserved better.

I watched a couple unboxing videos of earlier, U.S. editions.  One box was around $1400!  To quote a radio personality, 'How 'bout no?"

• Like 2

Watching earlier series, the series 6 was somewhat of a 'bargain.'  About 75% ended up losing $500+ on the series 5's.  One American collector said it best, "I'm disgusted", and sans the cussing, had the reaction I'd have when pulling out silver eagles and other worthless coins.

The 1850's shipwreck ones were pretty cool, but not worth getting soaked for.

Even if I did hit it 'big' on one of the red cores, since I don't care much about American numsimatics, it probably would have gotten tossed in the basket,where junky coins go.

On 4/2/2024 at 3:46 PM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

About 75% ended up losing $500+ on the series 5's.  One American collector said it best, "I'm disgusted"

🥲wow, that is much worse than what I expected. I figured you would have gotten at least 50% of your money back

• Cry 1

Yeah.  Search vault box 5 unboxing. The purchase price was 1250 plus expensive shipping.

The ratio I've seen for the 6's hasn't been much better. They're getting soaked maybe $300 out of 675+.

And per the 5's, the red core 'hits' I've seen generally hasn't been great.  Woo hoo, a 10 (NGCX scale). 2021 (not 1921) Peace Dollar! There was also a trade dollar, which looked like total poo.  That thing wasn't pretty.

The way it works; two boxes are unsealed, and the third 'hit' box (which could be total crap) has a seal.  One box is generally total dreck, like a modern silver eagle.  I also wouldn't mind having a Morgan dollar, but not for that price...

I wouldn't have minded having one of the shipwreck coins, but not by losing $500.

Has the Julius Caesar aureus showed up?