Package Stuck at ISC New York

Furryfrog02

I won a coin from Prague via ebay a little over a  month ago. It was shipped the next day and I watched it move through the system and eventually land in NYC on the 23rd of January. That is where the tracking stopped. It has been this status ever since:

Tue, Jan 23

9:34pm

Processed Through USPS Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Having not purchased many coins from overseas, I was wondering, is this a reasonable amount of time to be sitting at customs? Or did my poor little barbarous imitative get lost? Ebay says it will arrive by March 7th...but it has now been in the US for over a month. 
The last time I got coins from overseas, they bounced around between New York, Maryland, DC, and Boston for over a month before arriving at my mail box. But that was a different ineptitude of the USPS.

• Like 3
  • Cry 2

Usually, coins are cleared by ISC NY in less than a day, BUT NOT ALWAYS. I had one coin that was stuck there for more than two weeks. I had ordered it from a Belgian fixed price dealer (NB numismatics). One day it just showed up in my mailbox without the tracking ever being updated by the USPS. On the day after it arrived in my mailbox, USPS tracking still had its location listed as ISC NY. 

FaustinaJrTraianopolisHomonoia.jpg.b9fa2c0cedbc45e48fa94a91d6663d1c.jpg

• Like 5

I live in the US. I've had coins, which were ordered from locations outside of the US, stuck in customs in New York for as long as 2 weeks, or maybe even longer. Also, like @Roman Collector and @rNumis, I've had coins magically appear in my PO box, even though the USPS tracking says that the coins are somewhere else.

• Like 5

ISC NY is hit and miss when it comes to parcel processing times. Sometimes it's only a few hours, sometimes a few weeks ... there really is no rhyme or reason to it. The longest I've waited for a package going through NY was 6 or 7 weeks - and when it arrived it was sealed with the dreaded green customs tape. So, the USPS wasn't at fault. Hang in there. 🙏 

• Like 5

Some US postal employees do not recognize foreign tracking bar codes and don't know to scan them.  That's why the coin can be delivered without tracking being aware of it.  If your coin is still in Customs it is likely safe.  I have had coins leave ISC New York and never get scanned again.  They can fall off Postal trucks, somehow.

I received a Guyana 1967 1 cent coin yesterday.  This is an AU coin with face value of 0.005 of a US cent and collector value of 20 cents.  It had International Customs Form 22 on the envelope and was declared as a button.  (The seller knew it was a coin.)  The seller declared it as a button without my knowledge.  If customs had inspected it, it would look like I was colluding with the seller.  The system is broken if sellers feel a need to do this.

(I received the coin by mistake.  I was trying to obtain a Guyana 1970 1 cent coin.  These are much more difficult than the 1967, which is why I was willing to pay overseas shipping for one.)

• Like 6

My Edward VI AV Half Sovereign (MA-shops/ Stückler) was shipped on November 17th. By December 21st. I got worried and followed tracking on DHL site. Found reason why/ it was sent via SHIP! Thankfully it arrived on Jan. 4th at my door with no customs fees😇

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Mind blown 1