Seleucids

Furryfrog02

I will start off my first thread on this brand new forum with a Seleucid coin that I purchased at the last Baltimore Whitman Coin Show. The seller was really great and knowledgeable and offered to ID the coin for me but I declined because....that's half the fun, right???

WRONG!

Turns out that Seleucid coins are way out of my skill range. I have been trying off and on to ID this dang thing since the show with zero luck. While I was emailing with Theodosius (from CT) yesterday, I showed him a picture and dang it if he didn't have that sucker ID'd in a matter of minutes. 

I am now happy to add the coin to my daughter's small but growing collection of ancient coins featuring women.

551078374_slazzer-edit-image(23).png.b501ea05c28483263f499e56db22e084.png

Seleukos IV Philopater

187-175 BC

AE Serratus

Obverse: Head of Artemis right, quiver at shoulder

Reverse: BAΣIΛIEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY, Artemis in short chiton standing left, holding spear in left hand, deer at foot left

Please feel free to share your Seleucid coins or other serrates!

• Like 16

Oooh, nice Artemis/Seleukos IV! LOVE the serrated coinage🥰

I just shared a couple MSCs from Seleukos I and III in the MSC thread... but don't worry I've got more types from them:

1219963_1591198091-removebg-preview.png.5ac6e97bc48c0171d3576eb2687146ed.pngIMG_2327.PNG.c7f52df0d884d807a24f5cb351dc9dbd.PNG1329729_1597693338.l-removebg-preview.png.2b7c5b1c9832e32f52954b9a5d0c113f.png

Annnnd some bottle caps....

YDy9F4QkpS22xs6Lx5JQTTf38jtDiH.jpg.36f2b64cd6b4fd80db78f5bbd9b2f84e.jpgIMG_0408(1).PNG.df959dbf0afd755054b3d4ded1c21136.PNG

• Like 9

• Benefactor

I just tried to "like" this last post and was told I couldn't add more reactions today. I guess there's a daily limit. Not a problem, just a learning curve. I can see advantages to making us think before we like actually.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

I just tried to "like" this last post and was told I couldn't add more reactions today. I guess there's a daily limit. Not a problem, just a learning curve. I can see advantages to making us think before we like actually.

I was going to "like" this post but I too, ran out of reactions for the day. You're right about it making you really thinkin and consider what you actually like.

• Benefactor
1 minute ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I was going to "like" this post but I too, ran out of reactions for the day. You're right about it making you really thinkin and consider what you actually like.

I assume we can unlike something and recapture it to use on another post, but it seems rude to try that, even in the interest of science.

• Benefactor

The head of Artemis wearing a stephane is a pretty scarce type in the Seleucid series, which made it easier to spot. I started with the assumption the reverse was Nike and wasn't having any luck. Then I just started paging through Hoover and just randomly found it. Lol. So no great skill involved. I really like the patina on this type and it seems pretty common for coins from that region.

John

Edited by Theodosius
Fix voice recognition errors.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

The head of Artemis wearing a stephane is a pretty scarce type in the Seleucid series, which made it easier to spot. I started with the assumption the reverse was Nike and wasn't having any luck. Then I just started paging through Hoover and just randomly found it. Lol. So no great skill involved. I really like the patina on this type and it seems pretty common for coins from that region.

John

Even the seller I bought it from was wrong. He said it was the bust of a ruler's wife. I was really hoping it was a Nike reverse but...oh well. It is still a really neat coin and like you said, the patina is really nice.

PS, Welcome aboard 🙂

• Like 1

Neat coin, @Furryfrog02! Nothing says "Seleucid" like a bottle cap with an elephant! This one is ex-Houghton:

[IMG]
Laodike IV, wife and sister of both Seleucus IV and Antiochus IV.
Selucia in Pieria, 175-164 BC.
AE 3.33 gm; 15 mm.
Obv: Veiled bust of Laodike IV, r.
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant head l.; prow.
Refs: Houghton, CSE 113 (plate coin); Forrer 183.

• Like 12

Lovely piece! Here's my bottlecap that I got as one of my coins from a LordMarcovan giveaway:
(N.B. This is just a screenshot from his post, you can't actually click the blue to take you to it yeah - just kept it for a description)

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 20.24.03.png

Edited by AncientNumis
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Seleukid Empire. Seleukos I Nikator, 312-281 BC. Æ19 (6.08g, 12h). Antioch on the Orontes mint, late 280's BC. Obv: Winged head of Medusa to right. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΣΕΛΕΥΚOY; Bull butting right. Ref: SC 24.1; HGC 9, 117a corr. (denomination size). About Very Fine, nice dark green patina.

image.jpeg.a2e2e1223dd7f5ba3abccf4a60a0327a.jpeg

• Like 7

Here is a small but IMHO nice Seleucid coin:

normal_G_401_Ake-Ptolemais.jpg.09236205860e03d42e3ad0146305780b.jpg

Seleukid Kingdom. Ake-Ptolemaïs.
Cleopatra Thea and Antiochos VIII.
Dated SE 187 (126/5 BC)

Obv.: Head of Artemis right, quiver and bow over shoulder
Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ to right, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ to left, bow and quiver, ΙΠΡ (date) below.
Æ, 15 mm, 2,97 g
Ref.: HGC 9, 1194; SC 2275.

• Like 4

and a tetradrachm:

normal_Alexander_Balas_1.jpg.f65d306159aefc251ced74a96500b46f.jpg

Seleucid Kings of Syria
Alexander I Balas
Tetradrachm, dated ςΞ = 147-146 BC
Obv.: Diademed head of Alexander
Rev.: Zeus enthroned left, holding sceptre, Nike crowning him
ΒAΣIΛΕΩS / ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ- ΘEOΠATOΡOΣ / EΥEΡΓETOΥ
ςΞΡ and Φ in ex
Ag, 16,6 mm 30 mm
Ref.: SC 1784 7, SMA 157f.
Ex Collection Prof. Dr. Dobretsberger 1948 (Secretary of Social Affairs in Austria)
Ex Collection Karl Pollak

• Like 6

Nice coins all. No serrated coins here but I do have this neat Seleucid bronze.

2C598AE8-AE7A-486A-831A-8A4D0DB8AEDE.jpeg.e98fff4cc17a3ac7b5dab3312e8da273.jpeg

Seleukid Kingdom
Diodotos Tryphon
AE17, Antioch mint, struck ca. 142-139 BC
Dia.: 17 mm
Wt.: 4.8 g
Obv.:  Diademed head of Tryphon right
Rev.: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ TPYФΩNOΣ AYTOKPATOPOΣ to right and left of a Macedonian helmet left, adorned with ibex horn. Star in lower left field
Ref.: BMC Vol. IV 11-12; Babelon 1052; Hoover HGC 1061; Houghton SC 2034.2e
Ex Ryro Collection, Ex David@PCC,Ex Bassem Daou

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 6

On 5/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, Furryfrog02 said:

I will start off my first thread on this brand new forum with a Seleucid coin that I purchased at the last Baltimore Whitman Coin Show. The seller was really great and knowledgeable and offered to ID the coin for me but I declined because....that's half the fun, right???

WRONG!

Turns out that Seleucid coins are way out of my skill range. I have been trying off and on to ID this dang thing since the show with zero luck. While I was emailing with Theodosius (from CT) yesterday, I showed him a picture and dang it if he didn't have that sucker ID'd in a matter of minutes. 

I am now happy to add the coin to my daughter's small but growing collection of ancient coins featuring women.

551078374_slazzer-edit-image(23).png.b501ea05c28483263f499e56db22e084.png

Seleukos IV Philopater

187-175 BC

AE Serratus

Obverse: Head of Artemis right, quiver at shoulder

Reverse: BAΣIΛIEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY, Artemis in short chiton standing left, holding spear in left hand, deer at foot left

Please feel free to share your Seleucid coins or other serrates!

Ff, Excellent photo on this "bottlecap" 😊. The black background with the coin's dark relief & sandy color look great 😉.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtisimo said:

Nice coins all. No serrated coins here but I do have this neat Seleucid bronze.

2C598AE8-AE7A-486A-831A-8A4D0DB8AEDE.jpeg.e98fff4cc17a3ac7b5dab3312e8da273.jpeg

Seleukid Kingdom
Diodotos Tryphon
AE17, Antioch mint, struck ca. 142-139 BC
Dia.: 17 mm
Wt.: 4.8 g
Obv.:  Diademed head of Tryphon right
Rev.: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ TPYФΩNOΣ AYTOKPATOPOΣ to right and left of a Macedonian helmet left, adorned with ibex horn. Star in lower left field
Ref.: BMC Vol. IV 11-12; Babelon 1052; Hoover HGC 1061; Houghton SC 2034.2e
Ex Ryro Collection, Ex David@PCC,Ex Bassem Daou

Excellent photo 😉.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Yeeeehaaaaa, great Seleukid coins from everybody!! ... fun!!

Ummm, here are a couple of my ol' favs ... 

Seleukid Kingdom. Antiochos I, Æ 20 (below)

Antioch

280-261 BC

Diameter: 20 mm

Weight: 4.52 grams

Obverse: Macedonian shield with anchor as central boss

Reverse: Elephant right; c/m: anchor

Reference: SC 339.4; WSM 946

Other: black patina, minor roughness

Ex-stevex6

Seleukid Kingdom Antiochos I.jpg

Demetrios I Serratus AE17 (below)

162 - 150 BC