Visit to Trier

Coinmaster

• Benefactor
12 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

I like they've got coin pictures on the wall..!

and they missed an opportunity to show any coins from Trier

so here's a Trier coin

Constantine_PRINCIPI_Trier734.jpg.4e3fc79c53114720bc640d4fe991e79a.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 307
26mm 6.9g
FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C; laureate and cuirassed bust right.
PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS; Prince, in military dress, holding standard in each hand; S-A across fields.
In ex. PTR
RIC VI Trier 734

• Like 17
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1
  • Cry 1

15 minutes ago, Ursus said:

Nice! 

If you still have a bit of time today, I can strongly recommend a visit to the Rheinisches Landesmuseum at Trier. Their Roman exhibition is outstanding.

That's indeed on the planning today, thanks!

• Smile 1

@Coinmaster, Hearty Congratulations on a fantastic trip!

...Aaaah.  It being Sunday, Pacific time here, I was just hoping you'd post your own pics of the Porta Niagra.  Magnificent shot of the entrance.  (Not to mention your lovely wife.)  Terrific altidudinal perspective; I love how near you shot it from.  That mosaic is fantastic, too.  Completely new to me; looking forward to googling for it, which happens next!  Given the remarkable style, if it's (edit:) as late as the early 4th century, I'll have learned something new about mosaics!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...Well, okay, so far, this website dates the mosaic to the 3rd century, without being any more specific.  But vague as that is, it's closer to my commensurately impressionistic sense of what it looks like.

https://imperiumromanum.pl/en/curiosities/roman-mosaic-showing-triumphant-coachman/ 

Edited by JeandAcre
'commensurably'
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Wow, amazing photos!

I have more than half a dozen coins minted in Trier (Treveri). Here are my three favorites. Literally a drop in the bucket compared to all those coins in your hoard photos!

Valens (younger brother of Valentinian I, reigned as Emperor in East AD 364-378), AV Solidus, Treveri (Trier) Mint, 1st Officina, issued 376 - mid-377 AD after death of Valentinian I [see Depeyrot pp. 77, 121]. Obv. Pearl-diademed (with double band of pearls held by single rosette gem at top), draped, and cuirassed bust right, DN VALENS – PF AVG / Rev. Valens & Gratian enthroned facing in single large throne, each with left leg uncovered and right hand on a globe between them; above and behind, Victory facing with wings spread; palm-branch on ground between them; VICTOR – IA AVGG around; in exergue, mintmark TROBC [TR = Treveri Mint; OB = “obryzum, which means refined or pure gold, and is the Greek numeral 72. Thus the . . . OB . . . may be read ‘1/72 pound pure gold’” (see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=CONOB); C = Capita, for 1st Officina (see Depeyrot p. 52)]. 19.5 mm., 4.42 g., 6 h.  Depeyrot, Trèves [Trier] 45/1 Valens at p. 121 (45th emission for city since AD 337) (26 examples of type from 1st Officina; 33 overall) [Depeyrot, George, Les Monnaies d'Or de Constantin II à Zenon (337-491) (Wetteren 1996)]; RIC IX 39(d)1 at p. 21; Sear RCV V 19578 (obv. ill. p. 324). Purchased from CNG (Classical Numismatic Group, LLC) Electronic Auction 525, 20 Oct. 2022, Lot 1319; ex. “Conti Collection.”*

ValensSolidusTrierMintCNG10_20.22Numisbidsphoto.jpg.1a24e1e92bfdf11b463ddc7d2023e68b.jpg

*This is my only example of a solidus bearing the reverse legend “VICTORIA AVGG” (“To the Victory of the Two Emperors,” see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=VICTORIA%20AVGG), depicting two reigning emperors enthroned together on the reverse. This type was “for more than a quarter of a century . . . the main gold currency of the western empire,” issued in the names of all the co-emperors during that period, beginning with Valentinian I and Valens in the 360s AD. See RIC IX p. 5 (introduction to Treveri Mint section.) [Remainder of footnote omitted.]

Gratian, AR reduced Siliqua, AD 368-375, Trier Mint [Emperor in West, AD 367-383]. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG / Rev. Helmeted Roma seated left on throne, holding Victory on globe in right hand, and scepter in left hand, VRBS ROMA; in exergue, TRPS• (Trier Mint; PS = pvsvlatvm, struck from refined silver). RIC IX 27f(1) at p. 19, RSC V 86a, Sear RCV V 19964. 17 mm., 2.0 g.

image.png.e6b3cfac766bf8cadcf2e2f4f367e1ad.png

Magnus Maximus [Emperor in West AD 383-388 by usurpation from Gratian], AR reduced Siliqua, AD 383-388, Trier Mint. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, DN MAG MAX-IMVS PF AVG [AV ligatured] / Rev. Helmeted Roma seated facing on throne, head left, holding globe in right hand and reversed spear in left hand, VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; in exergue, TR PS [TR = Trier Mint; PS = Pvsvlatvm (struck from refined, purified silver; see Sear RCV V, Introduction p. 7)]. 1.90 g., 16.32 x 16.08 mm., 12 h. RIC IX 84(b)(1) (p. 29), RSC V 20b (ill. p. 176), Sear RCV V 20644 (p. 422); Ghey 56f (this coin) [Ghey, E., “Vale of Pewsey, Wiltshire,” unpublished catalogue held by British Museum]. Purchased 17 May 2022 from Noonans (f/k/a Dix Noonan Webb) Auction, “The Vale of Pewsey Hoard of Late Roman Silver Coins,” Lot 82; ex Vale of Pewsey Hoard, discovered in Wiltshire 12-13 Sep. 2020, Portable Antiquities Scheme Hoard ID BM-7D34D9 (see https://finds.org.uk/database/hoards/record/id/3305 ). [Footnote omitted.]

image.png.fa93c90b92c39747ebb8a2e6e6974e70.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Coinmaster, Thanks for sharing your Trier experience & the lovely photos 🤩. I'm ashamed to say after spending 18 months in Germany I never got to Trier ☹️. Pictured below are a few of my favorite coins from Roman-Trier ☺️.

NGC4252553-039AKCollection.jpg.7a5e0dc7edd3bbe53ca3564a164e45f3.jpg

ConstantineIRICVIp.218775-8.jpg.3338131acdc0c304fc789afdc82fde2e.jpg

Constantine I, AD 307-330 (struck AD 307/8). AE Follis: 6.65 gm, 26 mm, 6 h. Reverse: Mars with spear & Shield. Ex Spink 169, July 15, 2004.

NGC4277731-043AlKowskyCollection.jpg.052984a158e68ebe48759d782f617028.jpg

NGC5767882-158EpfigHoardAlKowskyCollection.jpg.bc7edc71e670d04ef5b541bc9f1da776.jpg

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 5

Great photos, thank for sharing them. I'm now wildly determined to visit Trier soon.

Here is an Argenteus from Trier in the name of Constantine I. These coins are of poor silver and usually in poor quality. This coin is well above average.

Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG.
Rev: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP / PTR.

On the shield: VOT/ PR
RIC 208a.

3.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The explanations to the coin hoard of Meckel is particularly interesting. Now I know that a follis would have been the daily salary of a donkey driver, a labourer or bought me 25 eggs or 1/2 a liter of honey. 80 of them would have bought me a cow and 160 a military cloak. For 250 folles I could have hired a lawyer for a pladoyer.

11.PNG

• Like 10
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

13 hours ago, Rand said:

Amazing coins, @Al Kowsky. Beautiful and such pristine states with high straight grades! Particularly love the nummus of Galerius.

Rand, Thanks for the comments ☺️. I won the Galerius follis at auction 7 years ago, aside from the condition, I was impressed by the weight of the coin. Diocletian era folles weigh on average about 10.50 gm, so 13.15 gm is hefty 😲.

• Yes 2
  • Smile 1

Beautiful pictures, @Coinmaster! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the museum. I visited it shortly before the pandemic hit in 2020 and was really impressed by their collection. The presentation of the coin hoards as big piles with a few chosen highlighted examples is not quite to my taste, but I get that there isn't enough exhibition space to show each coin on its own. In general, the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in my opinion does a fantastic job at keeping its exhibition both educational and accessible.

8 hours ago, Tejas said:

For 250 folles I could have hired a lawyer for a pladoyer.

I guess that lawyers were already expensive back then. (Not complaining: mine were usually worth every penny.)

Also, I'll take the chance to show some of my coins from Trier. Note the fur-lined coat visible on Constanine's left shoulder on the first coin. This type of coat only appears on coins from Trier:

RomConstantinusIIJuniorAE3LagertorTrier.png.02ff49ed5d6ea4b199a01b83e90fc8a8.png

Constantine II, Roman Empire, AE3, 326AD, Trier. Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, bust of Constantine II, laureate, draped, cuirassed, l. Rev: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, camp gate with two turrets, star above; in exergue, STR crescent. 19mm, 3.01g. Ref: RIC VII Treveri 479.

On this coin, Helena is wearing an imperial mantle. This is very untypical for female busts. I wonder whether this way caused by an engraver's error or iconograpic choice:

RomHelenaAE3SecuritasTrier.png.367b5cd46bbdaf8d38fec2f6d9cf1bd1.png

Helena, Roman Empire, AE3, 327–328 AD, Trier mint. Obv: FL HELENA AVGVSTA; bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, r. Rev: SECVRITAS REIBUBLICE; Securitas, draped, standing l., raising robe with r. hand and lowering branch with l. hand, in exergue, PTRE. 19mm, 2.88g. Ref: RIC VII Treveri 508.

RomConstansAE4TrierFelTempReparatioPhoenix.png.ee12b0b7414942c2b00a6cf69a1f265e.png

Constans, Roman Empire, AE3, 348–350 AD, Trier mint. Obv: D N CONSTANS P F AVG; bust of Constans, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: FEL•TEMP•REPARATIO; phoenix, radiate, standing r. on rocky mound; in exergue, TRP•. 16mm, 2.33g. Ref: RIC VIII Treveri 228.

RomValensSiliquaRomaTrier.png.6faf7d80d556a3061283db8d3b1ea735.png

Valens, Roman Empire, AR siliqua, 367–378 AD, Trier mint. Obv: DN VALENS PF AVG; bust of Valens, draped, cuirassed, and pearl-diademed, r. Rev: VRBS ROMA; Roma seated l. on throne, holding Victory on globe and sceptre; in exergue TRPS•. 17mm, 1.71g. Ref: RIC IX Treveri 27E/45B.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

@Ursus, regarding your rare (and otherwise astounding) example of Helena in an imperial mantle, I have to lean  --very speculatively-- to the side of it having been intentional, especially this late in Constantine's reign.  Particularly in light of her having been conspicuously Christian, relative to her son's ongoing appropriation of his own adherence to that community.  To mix cliche instead of metaphor, that's my two cents, for what they're worth.

(Instant edit:)  Anyway, that one Kicks something All Over the Block.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4

• Benefactor

Trier is a wonderful, picturesque city to visit, with solid Roman roots.  I was there in 1987 and loaded up on German wine.  Since I was traveling only with a carryon bag, the trip back to the US with an overloaded bag full of wine bottles was an adventure.  I did crazy things like that back then.  Now I do different crazy things.

This is my only Roman coin from that city:

Postumus, double sestertius, Treveri, 260-69 AD.  LAETITA reverse.

RIC 143

33mm, 27.97 grams

D-CameraPostumusdoublesestertiusTreveri260-69ADLAETITARIC14333mm27.97g8-6-23.jpg.caabe8e529664e390081ddc58652443e.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Seeing the double sestertius posted by robinjojo triggered my memory about a Postumus sestertius in my collection ☺️.

image01681Postumus(3).jpg.963f671c9ab32630b2164c2160fd8616.jpg

Postumus, AD 260-269 (struck AD 261). Trier Mint, 3rd emission. AE Sestertius: 25.49 gm, 31.5 mm, 6 h. Obverse: Laureate, draped, & cuirassed bust of Postumus. Reverse: Victory holding wreath & palm branch, advancing left, seated captive on ground. RIC V 170.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3