Visit to Trier

Coinmaster

(Edit: Oops, Too Late: this goes back to the Postumus ones of @robinjojo and @Al Kowsky.)  Going back to when Roman was my main collecting thing, I've always wanted one of these --ideally a double sestertius, but a sestertius would be just fine.  Postumus's coinage reform, including the antoniniani, is kind of amazing, given that the official empire was careening headlong in the opposite direction.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words and beautiful coins! Below a coin from my collection.4561662_1695199176.jpg.ed9ee453b66000b207856931240e5701.jpg

Constantine I, 307/310-337. Follis (Bronze, 20 mm, 3.61 g, 1 h), Treveri, 2nd officina (B), 317. IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG Laureate and cuirassed bust of Constantine I to right. Rev. SOLI INVICTO COMITI / T-F/BTR Sol standing facing, head left, raising hand and holding globe in left. RIC VII Trier 132 (var.) (p. 178).

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

I beleive the guy in the center is Franz Georg Schönborn, Archbishop of Trier in 1732 when this monstrosity was made. It looks silver in the photo, but aren't those all aureii set into the pieces?

Does anyone with real intelligence know what the name of this set is. I tried AI (Bing/GPT-4) and this is what I got.

image.png.07304e01ec15a1c9cbe7605b15ae2065.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Does anyone with real intelligence know what the name of this set is.

I'm not certain whether I count as real intelligence, but in German this object is simply known as the "Trierer Münzpokal" (Trier coin goblet). It was commisioned in 1732 by Karl Kaspar Emmerich von Quadt, the deacon of the Trier cathedral. The ensemble contains 41 ancient gold coins, eight golden casts imitating ancient coins and two 17th/18th century medals struck in gold.

Here are some links to pages with additional pictures and information (in German):

https://rlp.museum-digital.de/object/5721

https://www.muenzen-online.com/post/römermünzen-im-prunkgeschirr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

So it seems my own intelligence is questionable here.

If you zoom in you can read the legend on the medallion set into the plate/platter, and it says "IOAN HVGO DG ARCHIEP TREV PR EL EP SPI", from which I was able to google it and find out who it was.

This is actually an earlier Archbishop of Trier, Johann Hugo von Orsbeck, who was archbishop from 1675-1711.

Here's a specimen of the medallion.

https://www.bavarikon.de/object/bav:SMM-OBJ-0000000000354887?lang=en

• Like 2
  • Smile 1