Leu refused to list my Julius Caesar dupondius cause it's 'suspicious'.

Victrix

Bought this coin a while ago on Artemide auction with a pedigree from the 1800's. Decided to consign it with leu and shipped it out. Low and behold they tell me they won't. Does anyone else see something I don't ? To me this is a completely normal genuine coin. Quite frustrating 🙃.

499_1.png

jul2.png

jul1.png

• Like 4
  • Thinking 2

• Benefactor

I know it's a hassle, but can we see a picture of the edge? What we can see of it in the OP pics isn't encouraging, but that may be an artifact of the camera angle. In any case, I imagine the edge is the main basis for Leu's "suspicions." (The tag is fabulous regardless!)

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

I know it's a hassle, but can we see a picture of the edge? What we can see of it in the OP pics isn't encouraging, but that may be an artifact of the camera angle. In any case, I imagine the edge is the main basis for Leu's "suspicions." (The tag is fabulous regardless!)

It's currently still at Leu sadly. What do you mean with what we can see isn't encouraging, anything that stands out? I just dislike the fact they tell me it's suspicious but don't condemn it . Been in contact with Artemide and they say they don't see anything pointing it being a fake. I guess they'd refund me if it were to be, just quite annoyed with the situation 😛 .

59 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

They probably think it's suspicious it has a real provenance before 2005.

Yes lol. They make up provenances for most of my coins saying it was purchased before 2012 when I started collecting in 2019 😂.

• Like 2
  • Mind blown 1
  • Shock 1
  • Smile 1

2 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

The edge seems quite "smooth," consistent with filing to remove a seam. I'm not at all certain though from what we can see; I'm certainly not condemning it. 

Its indeed hard to tell so ill wait for a reply of Leu. But id be surprised if this were to be a fake, never spotted any fakes at artemide before. Thanks for input 👍.

• Like 1

Sorry to read. It looks to me like it might have had BD at some point, but I don't see any major concerns (though, what is the strange fabric over her eyes?).

Anyway, if you are looking to get rid of it, I would reach out to Artemide then and see if they will take it back and attach the email from Leu.

• Like 1

Aside from some surface corrosion, I can't find anything suspicious about your coin. It would be important to know the weight. This probably would be a good example to send to NGC for authentication. If they do authenticate your coin and slab it , I would likely advise that this would be an appropriate time to keep it encased. Good luck. For what it's worth, I vote genuine.

• Thanks 1