A Feather in Athena's Hat - Her helmet adornments

Phil Anthos

While the helmets are very cool (and possibly just a bit kinky), the variety is nearly amazing. Athena certainly loved Her hats!

I've a few, you probably have more. So let's see those Skyllas and olive leaves and whatever else you might have. 

Here's some Magna Graecian silver to start, a griffin from Velia and an owl from Hyria...

Velia_Kleudoros~2.jpg

Hyria_Didrachm.jpeg~2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Laugh 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Athena in a Phrygian helmet here, one of her  more  unusual  choices. A supposed Williams reference coin but as there 727,000 of them, that's not as important as the centauress on her head.

Velia, 340BC approx, AR Nomos
Williams 315e.
Obv.: Helmeted head of Athena l., wearing Phrygian helmet decorated with  centauress, behind the neck-guard monogram KE. Rev.: Lion pulling down stag r., Greek 'FI' beneath, Greek legend "ΥΕΛΗΤΩΝ".

screenshot-2023-02-18-at-18-44-00-lucania-velia-305-290-bc-ar-nomos_origddd.png.3cfaae6cbe823ef021a123101782c822.png

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

15 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Athena in a Phrygian helmet here, one of her  more  unusual  choices. A supposed Williams reference coin but as there 727,000 of them, that's not as important as the centauress on her head.

Velia, 340BC approx, AR Nomos
Williams 315e.
Obv.: Helmeted head of Athena l., wearing Phrygian helmet decorated with  centauress, behind the neck-guard monogram KE. Rev.: Lion pulling down stag r., Greek 'FI' beneath, Greek legend "ΥΕΛΗΤΩΝ".

screenshot-2023-02-18-at-18-44-00-lucania-velia-305-290-bc-ar-nomos_origddd.png.3cfaae6cbe823ef021a123101782c822.png

2 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

Athena in a Phrygian helmet here, one of her  more  unusual  choices

It's interesting to see a Phrygian helmet with a crest ... You wouldn't happen to know if any actual Phrgyian helmets have been found with a crest attachment point? Athena's helmet also appears to have an Attic browband!

It seems a bit odd to have a cap-inspired helmet with a crest, but why not pimp it out I suppose!

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

Close enough.

Well, kinda. I'd found that one too, but it's Phrygrian-Chalcidian, and has that metal crest rather than a holder/attachment point for a real hair/feather one.

Of course it'd be easy enough to attach a crest to a Phyrgian/any helmet if one wanted to, but plenty of Phyrgian helmets have been found and I've not been able to find one that does actually have an attachment point.

In a similar vein, Constantine I's VLPP coinage depicts contemporary ridge helmets with crests, but the vast majority of actual ridge helmet finds don't have any provision for a crest (although some do have a permanently attached metal one).

I'm wondering if Athena's helmet there is historic reality or maybe artistic licence ?

Edited by Heliodromus

Have we no fans of the minimalist Corinthian helmet? Its elegant use of empty space, its gentle open curves and contours?

image.jpeg.b03a80381f5453b5ea7ee53528d8d05b.jpeg

We need not begrudge Athena the busy decorations and triple crests of her Attic helmet, to appreciate the simple beauty of the former....

image.png.9707dafc7921a5d3a634fd2d8ab5fb76.png

• Like 7
  • Smile 1

Cilicia, Soloi. Balakros, Satrap of Cilicia, 333-323 BC. AR Stater (24mm, 10.82g, 7h). Obv: Baaltars seated left, holding scepter; grain ear and grapes to left, Σ below throne. Rev: Draped bust of Athena facing slightly left, wearing triple-crested Attic helmet. Ref: Casabonne series 2; SNG France 196/197 (for obv. die/rev. type); SNG Levante 52. Good Fine, toned, test cut. Ex CNG.

image.jpeg.9532a8b3f13dd1051bf13917f4f56166.jpeg

• Like 6

I don't think we've seem one with "three dots" yet!
Also, did the engraver sign the neck flap?

image.jpeg.b684f19a74360e26ea5c684a13f1619c.jpeg

Tarentum Diobol, c. 325-280 BCE
Ex Clain-Stefanelli Collection. (Wish I knew where that old toning came from! Not Vlasto or Côte, unfortunately.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Curtis JJ said:

Also, did the engraver sign the neck flap?

Sadly  no.

This coin is possibly a bit later than described. I'm not throwing my "scholarship" up again Clain-Stefanelli,  just the big recent Tarentum  diobol study that has your cointype's series described in some detail.

It's  likely a series g type 203. Rather dry,  but there we go. The series has  various control marks on the neckguard including  yours. The dots are roses, or were earlier  in the series and degenerated into  rings with tiny holes  in them. The dating is  from a truly  desperate phase  of Tarentum's life, between 281 and 272 from war with Rome  until defeat. Pyrrhus was around though possibly  pushed back by the  time of this coin.

• Thanks 1

Here is the type with rosettes...

Taras, Calabria

281-276 BC
AR Diobol (12mm, 1.03g)
O: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with 3 rosettes; M behind, A on neckguard, Δ below chin.
R: Herakles kneeling right, wrestling the Nemean lion, club in right hand.
D'Andrea LXI, 1047; D'Andrea Diobols G, 199; cfVlasto 1372-73; SNG France 2117; Cote cf 254; HN Italy 976
ex Bertolami Fine Arts

~ Peter 

KAw6s48S3GoxmXQ98gLFe2Rr5nJBdT~3.jpg

• Like 3