I am looking for book on Merovingian gold coinage

panzerman

You may have to write it!

As far as I know, such a book does not exist.  Recent publications on Merovingian coins have focused on individual areas.  The vastness of the coinage has been explored over a hundred years ago, but nobody has recreated the massive sources of Belfort and Prou.

I believe there is a French volume of Medieval European Coinage (MEC) in preparation, but I don't know anything more.  The title is "The Age of the Denier" though, so it may focus more on the later silver coinage.

• Like 6

I have been looking for a good contemporary book on Merovingian coins and could not find one. Also, I do not see many books with great photos, like those in auction catalogues.

Moreover, I see few journal publications with good photos. Poor photos often illustrate good written material.

I think the main issue is getting the images and it is hard to resolve.

For example, to reproduce a photo of a coin from the British Museum, one has to pay £45 for 1,001-2,000 total combined print runs and downloads (ex-VAT). I am not even sure if this is for one side or two.

If a good book on Merovingian coins had 1000 images, this already costs $68,000 with VAT; providing separate payments is unnecessary for obverses and reverses.

But even this would be relatively easy. The authors would need to work with many museums in many collecting areas. Many museums may not have adequate photography services. Visiting them to take photos would be even more expensive, and some museums (including the British Museum) would not allow this.

Many auction houses have excellent photos, but they may also want to charge for commercial books (I am unsure). Even if they agree to do this for free, there will be a lot of work and agreements to do with individual dealers.

A book on Merovingian coins should be relatively easy, though - due to a small area of circulation and few museums and dealers involved. Bibliothèque nationale has photos already.

Even doing quality photos personally is not a bargain. I am considering buying a setup, which would cost c. $6,000 even without a camera.

So, any book with good colour plates is an appreciated effort, which may not be commercially lucrative.

Edited by Rand
  • Like 3
  • Cool Think 1

What about Georges Depeyrot's "Le Numeraire Merovingien L'Age de L'Or" published in 1998?  It's only 199 pages with 8 plates (black & white, not color) but it seems to be the most recent overview and is usually cited in auction listings alongside Prou and Belfort.  I can't read a word of French though, so I never bought it or any of the additional 4 volumes covering the silver deniers.  If any of our French readers have an opinion on Depeyrot's work I would appreciate their comments.  Perhaps it is worth slogging through it with Google Translate? 

Depeyrot.jpg

• Like 5

@Theoderic, having had exactly zero French in school, I can heartily recommend French reference books like this.  (Journal articles? nnnNot so much!)  Between how much of the primary content runs to proper nouns, and the profusion of other French words (esp. verbs and easy nouns) that closely echo latinate English ones (by now the preponderance of our vocabulary <--see?), they're surprisingly easy to navigate.  Typically, I only need resort to Google Translate in more extreme cases.

Honest, as a confirmed monophone, this is the only language I can say this about.

Edited by JeandAcre
vocabubulary ...andthen the desktop had a major electro-neural epsode ...I Need a new machine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Arent Pol from The Netherlands (university of Leiden) is working on a book for several decades now. He has (I've heard) a database of c. 15.000 coins from this era. I realy hope he can finish his life's work real soon... 

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

Arent Pol from The Netherlands (university of Leiden) is working on a book for several decades now. He has (I've heard) a database of c. 15.000 coins from this era. I realy hope he can finish his life's work real soon... 

There is "hope" out there! I should send him photo of my unique AV Triens (Theudebertus II)

John

• Like 1

There are 4 books for le numéraire mérovingien, so I think it is difficult and very expensive 

ttps://www.mediatheques-grandpoitiers.fr/search.aspx?SC=DEFAULT&QUERY=Parent_id_exact%3a"773302"&QUERY_LABEL=Recherche+de+volumes&QUERY_SORT=VolumeNumber_sort&QUERY_SORT_ORDER=0#/Search/(query:(InitialSearch:!t,

• Like 2

• 2 months later...