Ushabti with an amazing provenance, and an auction price to match!

Everyone knows that Disney's fantasia was a rip off of an ancient Egyptian story captured on papyrus, about a man whoes Ushabtii (hoping the double "i" shows that it's plural) all go out of control while he's away.

If not, now you know. 

My two possible examples (I don't have a provenance dating back two centuries, nor are they from the Earl of Carnarvan) 

20220707_184122.jpg.09e29bff91a10c387b3f26582ebcc447.jpg

• Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

12 hours ago, Ryro said:

Everyone knows that Disney's fantasia was a rip off of an ancient Egyptian story captured on papyrus, about a man whoes Ushabtii (hoping the double "i" shows that it's plural) all go out of control while he's away.

It is a little bit more complicated.

Fantasia is based on the "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" a ballad in 14 stanzas written by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in 1797
Goethe will have borrowed by Lucian of Samosata's "Philopseudeis ē apistōn" (Syrian satirist of the 2nd century AD)
An old form of the tale type appears in the Tale of Setne Khamwas and Si-Osire - that is where Egypt comes in.

Only quoted because I had to learn this ballad by heart in the 60ies as every German pupil did at this time

And thanks for the thread!

Regards
Klaus

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

It still shocks, amazes, and excites me that one can buy this type of stuff (although it'll be a few years before I can drop 88,200GBP on an ancient artifact). 

I remember I had the same feeling when I discovered ancient coin collecting not too long ago. 

• Like 5

...wow1..that is purdy Donna ..and that provenance....man, thats too kool for school..i watched a docu on him....great! 🙂 ..haha!...that's a might out of my price range also..^^

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Spirityoda said:

How and where can you bu2y these ?

I suggest reading through my thread here on my antiquities collection and seeing the dealers I've used in the last 5 years or so. All are reputable.

Do not buy antiquities on ebay unless it's from the ebay outlet of a dealer otherwise known to be reputable. Trocadero is a better dealer platform. Zurqieh on vcoins, in Abu Dhabi, sells inexpensive artifacts but has limited expertise and sometimes misattributes them.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

The same place they get ancient coins, pretty much. For Egypt in particular, there have probably been hundreds of thousands of scarabs, amulets, and other small artifacts dug up and sold by local residents over the last 200 years, even apart from the findings of organized archaeological expeditions that end up in museums. And it was entirely legal to export them for a long time.  Does illegal smuggling happen? I'm sure, but I don't believe it represents nearly as large a percentage of the trade as many people assume.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, Dwarf said:

It is a little bit more complicated.

Fantasia is based on the "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" a ballad in 14 stanzas written by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in 1797
Goethe will have borrowed by Lucian of Samosata's "Philopseudeis ē apistōn" (Syrian satirist of the 2nd century AD)
An old form of the tale type appears in the Tale of Setne Khamwas and Si-Osire - that is where Egypt comes in.

Only quoted because I had to learn this ballad by heart in the 60ies as every German pupil did at this time

And thanks for the thread!

Regards
Klaus

Only the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment of Fantasia was based on this. The one with Mickey Mouse. There was a lot more to that movie!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, jfp7375 said:

It still shocks, amazes, and excites me that one can buy this type of stuff (although it'll be a few years before I can drop 88,200GBP on an ancient artifact).

Don't forget the buyer's fee! Plus shipping and insurance.

• Like 2