CNG Auction Triton XXVII - any winners?

Prieure de Sion

I was fortunate to win my first Greek coin, a mythological-themed coin that I have long sought but have had difficulty finding in a condition that adequately illustrates the myth.

Details will follow.  Don't know if I want to wait until the coin is in hand, or reveal it early.

• Like 6
  • Clap 3

14 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

I was fortunate to win my first Greek coin, a mythological-themed coin that I have long sought but have had difficulty finding in a condition that adequately illustrates the myth.

Details will follow.  Don't know if I want to wait until the coin is in hand, or reveal it early.

I'm personally excited to see what you won!

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

I didn't bid on anything but read their emails with interest.

The Carausius with radiate lion is really cool. Not surprised they didn't have any CARAVSIVS ET FRATRES types for sale with the 3 jugate busts of the usurper and the central government tetrarchs. That's more of a six-figure coin I guess.

Good luck during the remainder @Prieure de Sion !

• Like 3

Got blown out on one of my targets, my other I won at starting bid, so I'm pretty pleased. Baktrian section was pretty strong for the most part. This went for 8k CHF back in 2019, but I think that price is a tad high haha. I didn't expect to spend that much, but my prebid was almost 2x what this hammered for. I think the condition scared off bidders, but I can live with it since it's a pretty rare type.

image.png.daa33aa79c39ca1657f16c5ada80aecd.png

BAKTRIA, Greco-Baktrian Kingdom. Antimachos I Theos. Circa 180-170 BC. AR Tetradrachm (31mm, 16.08 g, 12h). Commemorative issue struck for Euthydemos I Theos. EYΘYΔHMOY down right, ΘEOY down left, diademed head of Euthydemos right / BAΣIΛEYONTOΣ down right, ΑNTIMAXOY down left, ΘEOY in exergue, Herakles seated left on rocky outcropping, holding club set on knee; monogram to inner right. Bopearachchi 10A; Bopearachchi & Rahman 191-192; MPHB 10 (O1/R4 – this coin referenced); SNG ANS 297–8; MIG Type 129; HGC 12, 108

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 9
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

30 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I didn't bid on anything but read their emails with interest.

The Carausius with radiate lion is really cool. Not surprised they didn't have any CARAVSIVS ET FRATRES types for sale with the 3 jugate busts of the usurper and the central government tetrarchs. That's more of a six-figure coin I guess.

Good luck during the remainder @Prieure de Sion !

Au contraire. Only $1200. But you can't really enjoy it. It's more like the wise monkeys.

image.png.563bbc9e9a12e914843ede53311da074.png
image.png.1a264c79fe40933e0a14203b8554d783.png

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4

Congratulations to anyone who had a win!

I haven't bid in CNG auctions for quite a while. There was a Greek coin I was interested in, and it was hammering a couple of increments below my max, so decided to bid. 

Now, I don't know if there's a trick to that slide to bid thingy.......but I was sliding for dear life......but nothing would happen. It could be my phone that's the problem. Anyway, it's not the end if the world and I wasn't hooked on it, but I think it was a decent price. 

On a positive note I saved some money and there's bound to be sonething else turn up I want soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

Thinking about this from a more positive angle, even though I didn't win anything at Triton, I do have a total of 21 coins from CNG, Roma, Nomos, and Leu that are either on their way or soon to ship, so times are good. 🙂 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

I had one bid in the pre-auction bidding and was outbid.  As desirable as that lot was, #364 I didn't participate in the live session.  A neighboring lot, #366, hammered at $200,000.  This was a lot that Aaron Berk talked about in his podcast. 

These live auctions, with the buyer's fees, currency conversions (where applicable), and credit card/PayPal fees just don't make them very attractive for me, regardless of the rarities and spectacular coins.  So  I relegate my buying activities to some e-auctions and buying retail online (VCoins, MA Shops).  Overall I think there are better value coins.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Wow I had seen one sell for tens of thousands, I suppose because of the condition. This isn't that much more than a regular coin of his.

Yes they're not that rare but almost always terrible. So one in very good condition is going to get bid up by the few very rich people who seem to collect Carausius and are able to pay whatever it takes. A normal Pax antoninianus is only around £100, but the wide array of unique/unusual reverses he has seem to trigger bidding wars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, idesofmarch01 said:

Glad to see you venturing into the Greek side of the ancient pond as well!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zadie said:

I did not expect to walk out of Triton with anything at all but it appears the stars aligned for once 

image.png.fdf69efea21bf39ffbbc7b8a9896fb46.png

image.jpeg.625e9a9ccca2373605c5efdf09202856.jpeg

Oh wow! 🤩That is a gorgeous coin! Congrats on the win!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1