Augustus/Alter of Lugdunum

expat

New this morning

Ref Augustus AE As, RIC 233, Cohen 237, BMC 567

Augustus, AE as, Lugdunum Mint, CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRAE, laureate head right / Altar of Lugdunum, with flanking columns supporting facing Victories, ROM ET AVG below. Cohen 237.

20240103_161159__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.fa8fadafebdf602b9e5cdb3aa471a022.png

Feel free to post yours

Edited by expat
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 4

Very nice dude. I like this type. I recently bought one like this because the LCS told me it was Tiberius, after some research and comparisons, it turned out to be the Augustus type, still a nice coin but would have been my first Tiberius! Its ok tho, I since got two! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AETHER said:

Very nice dude. I like this type. I recently bought one like this because the LCS told me it was Tiberius, after some research and comparisons, it turned out to be the Augustus type, still a nice coin but would have been my first Tiberius! Its ok tho, I since got two! 

Yes, the description that went with the coin is incorrect. I must be going blind because I couldn´t see it in RIC. Do you know the reference for it under Augustus? Many thanks in advance

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, expat said:

Yes, the description that went with the coin is incorrect. I must be going blind because I couldn´t see it in RIC. Do you know the reference for it under Augustus? Many thanks in advance

The ref for the Augustus type is RIC I 230  https://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.1(2).aug.230

It could very well be a Tiberius you got, but its hard to make out the legends in the photo, however the way I identified mine for certain aside from the portrait is most of them had "Ceasar" directly  to the left field for the Augustus type..

Like so..

image.png.32f54e28506995e288efbce77dd99289.png

• Like 3

• expat changed the title to Augustus/Alter of Lugdunum

Tiberius; 14-37 AD. Æ As (26mm; 10.96 gm; 5h). Struck at Lugdunum under Augustus, 12-14 A.D. Obv: His laureate head., right. Rev: Altar of the cult of Roma and Augustus at Lugdunum, flanked by two columns, each of which is  surmounted by the statue of Victory. SM 1756

Tiberius-As-Lugdunum.jpg

• Like 10

TIBRIC240.png.aaf0c2ad6f9f5c16db0ba7cfddd5aa6d.png

Tiberius Iulius Caesar under Augustus ; Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 8/10 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 34mm; Weight: 23.26g; Mint: Lugdunum; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Augustus 240; Obverse: Head of Tiberius, left, bare. The Inscription reads: TI CAESAR AVGVSTI F IMPERATOR V for Tiberius Caesar Augusti Filius Imperator Quintus (Tiberius Caesar, son of Augustus, Imperator for the fifth time); Reverse: Altar of the three Gauls in Lugdunum, flanked by Victory holding wreath on column on each side, front decorated with corona civica flanked by nude male on each side. The Inscription reads: ROM ET AVG for Romae et Augusto (To Rome and the Augustus).

AUGUSTRIC232.png.e8e9f200bef96272746da18b0a3d362c.png

Augustus, Imperator Caesar Divi filius Augustus; Dupondius of the Roman Imperial Period 9/14 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 25/27mm; Weight: 12.93g; Mint: Lugdunum; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Augustus 232; Obverse: Head of Augustus, right, laureate. The Inscription reads: CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE for Caesar Augustus Divi Filius Pater Patriae (Caesar Augustus, son of the divine, father of the nation); Reverse: Altar of the three Gauls in Lugdunum, flanked by Victory holding wreath on column on each side, front decorated with corona civica flanked by nude male on each side. The Inscription reads: ROM ET AVG for Romae et Augusto (To Rome and the Augustus).

• Like 9