First Quintillus

panzerman

For princely sum of 55euros!

AR Antoninianus ND (late 270AD) 2.75g.   21mm.   .200     6h

NOTE: guy who struck this coin/ too much wine.....

Roma Mint

Radiate/ draped/ cuirassed bust of Emperor R

IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG  officina Δ

Concordia standing L/ holding Patera over Altar in her R Hand/ Double Cornucopiae with her L

Normanby 1159 RIC 13  Sear 11436   Hunter3.5

Ι saw a FDC Aureus NFA Auction/ magnificent coin.

4940290_1702545445.l.jpg

• Like 20
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1

quin.jpg.11c13add2125e528e3f9a73255d9c8fa.jpg

Quintillus (270 A.D)

Æ(S) Antoninianus
O: IMP CM AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right.
R: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopiae. Z in exergue.
Rome Mint, 270 A.D.
2.65g
18mm
Appleshaw hoard 305; RIC 19 var (cornucopiae)

• Like 8

I was able to purchase 2 Quintillus antoniniani when I was beginning collecting. I was hoping they are different mints but it was confirmed they are both Rome - and same classic RIC number. 

image.png.cbc34884c7cbd8acf5f4a0e7fca51b50.png

18 mm, 2,5 g.
Quintillus 270 AD. Ӕ antoninianus. Rome.
IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear / PROVIDENT AVG, Providentia stg. l., holding baton in r. hand and long sceptre in l. hand; at feet to l., globe.
RIC V Quintillus 29; RIC temp #1161.

image.png.cf09fbee10561072511165c06a29e537.png

22 mm, 2,8 g.
Quintillus 270 AD. Æ antoninianus. Rome.
IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear / PROVIDENT AVG, Providentia stg. l., holding baton in r. hand and long sceptre in l. hand; at feet to l., globe.
RIC V Quintillus 29; RIC temp #1162.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 3

I was expecting gold too, much of a disappointment 😞 
Just kidding, nice little coin @panzerman

My 3/4 antoninianus of his

4ade9f01764144f4b8d31c4f740250d6.jpg

Quintillus, Antoninianus - Mediolanum mint, AD 270
IMP QUINTILL[VS AVG], radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
[M]ARTI PACI, Mars standing left, holding olive branch and spear
2.8 gr
Ref : RCV # 11447,

12 minutes ago, Victrix said:

Bit confused to read AR Antoninianus. Isn’t this just silvered?

Yes, just silvered, you're right

Q

• Like 4

The first one I bought from NFA inn their Dec. 10, 1980 auction. Many of Sear's plate coins are ex NFA and this is the plate coin for Sear 11477.

QuintillusMARTIPACI8044.jpg.43335856b92d125caaae89fa6b47e97e.jpg

21 mm. RIC 58. The full flan is unusual. The strike is weak.
MARTI PACI

QuintillusFIDESMILIT02199.jpg.e3ae03ccbe0885ac84c32cd6b918b8c5.jpg

20-18 mm. 2.38 grams.
Sear 11438. RIC 52. The strike is deeper and the portrait nice, but the flan is ragged. 
FIDES MILIT

• Like 3

On 12/27/2023 at 9:03 PM, Orange Julius said:

Look at that fabulous mustache on that first coin. A Burt Reynolds of his time.

This is very true. The portraits of Quintillus are very recognizable and uniform, which is not surprising when we consider that he only ruled for 3 months, if not only a couple of weeks. He always has a beard and curles and generally the same features. Hence, I was particularly surprised to the the coin below, with a different Quintillus portrait that I have never seen before. Indeed, I have 36 coins of Quintillus, which all have very similar portraits, while the coin below is remarkably different.

quintillus.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, Tejas said:

This is very true. The portraits of Quintillus are very recognizable and uniform, which is not surprising when we consider that he only ruled for 3 months, if not only a couple of weeks. He always has a beard and curles and generally the same features. Hence, I was particularly surprised to the the coin below, with a different Quintillus portrait that I have never seen before. Indeed, I have 36 coins of Quintillus, which all have very similar portraits, while the coin below is remarkably different.

quintillus.PNG

It is pretty amazing that for as short of a period as he reigned that his coinage shows a pretty consistent and distinct portrait. Early Claudius II coins can look like Gallienus, Aurelian coins look like Claudius II... but Quintillus coins are pretty easy to spot. 

That's a cool coin @Tejas! Even though the style is a bit different, you can still see that he has sharp facial features, and curly/wavy hair. I also like that your coin has Victory on the reverse! Poor Quintillus had high hopes that didn't pan out. 

My only Quintillus is this SECVRIT AVG antoninianus.

QuintillusSECVRITAVGantoninianus.jpg.ff0108bdcdf1fbb3f47aea628ff6e294.jpg
Quintillus, 270 CE.
Roman billon antoninianus, 2.95 g, 20 mm.
Rome, 11th officina, issue 1, end 270 CE.
Obv: IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from the front.
Rev: SECVRIT AVG, Securitas standing left, legs crossed, holding short scepter in right hand, leaning on column with left elbow; officina mark XI in right field.
Refs: RIC 31; MER/RIC temp 1194; Cohen 63; RCV 11451; Normanby 1197; Hunter 17.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, Tejas said:

quintillus.PNG

The coins of Quintillus were minted at Rome, Milan, Siscia and Cyzicus. All of the four mints produced nearly identical portraits with very little variation. Indeed, there are some 1600 Quintillus coins on acsearch, but none with this unusual portrait of my coin above. Given Quintillus' very short reign, I find this quite remarkable. I think there are different possibilities to explain this: 

1. The coin should be from the mint of Rome, from the 3rd officina (gamma) as all of his coins with VICTORIA reverse. I wonder if this coin was made from  the first dies made for Quintillus before a portrait or a bust of Quintillus could be send to the mints to align the portraits on the coins. The long legend with IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG suggests that it is an early issue. However, below is a coin from my collection from the mint of Rome, 1st emission, 3rd officina, which shows the usual Quintillus portrait.

2. Perhaps the coin above is not from the mint of Rome or any of the other 3 mints that minted for Quintillus.

3. Perhaps the coin is not from an official mint. However, the style is too fine and official looking to suggest that it is the work of an unofficial mint.

quint.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 2