Colombia looks to raise the ‘holy grail of shipwrecks’ possibly worth billions

robinjojo

• Benefactor

From today's Guardian. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/21/san-jose-shipwreck-recovery-treasure-colombia-spain

This wreck, the San Jose (1708), is said to have an estimated 11 million gold and silver coins, making it by far the largest find if this number is true.

So, stay tuned.  Perhaps you'll have a chance to buy an 8 escudos cob at your local Walmart!

D-CameraSpain8escudosCharlesII(1686)AssayerMMadridFR216Cal-type2AKM168_126.94gramsexPonterio3-7-23.jpg.9a2ed41e58dbb83d5c116161465a9d90.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Gasp 2
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1

If there isn't any more nuance forthcoming from the Colombian government, this is frankly obscene.

...Colombia, Get a (expletive of choice) Loan, based on (.......Remember this part?) the $11 million net total, and do it Right.  Last I checked, "Marine Archaeology" was NOT an oxymoron.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Insofar that the wreck is at a depth of 3,100 feet, I wonder if such a salvage or archeological exploration is even feasible for anyone to undertake.  I guess they would use remote robotic subs.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor
17 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

If there isn't any more nuance forthcoming from the Colombian government, this is frankly obscene.

...Colombia, Get a (expletive of choice) Loan, based on (.......Remember this part?) the $11 million net total, and do it Right.  Last I checked, "Marine Archaeology" was NOT an oxymoron.

You're right about past salvage practices, including the use of huge vacuums that literally suck up swaths of ocean floor - quite destrauctive.

• Like 1
  • Gasp 1

On 12/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, robinjojo said:

Insofar that the wreck is at a depth of 3,100 feet, I wonder if such a salvage or archeological exploration is even feasible for anyone to undertake.  I guess they would use remote robotic subs.

The titanic is 12k feet. 

• Like 1

The SS- Central America wreck was located 8000 ft. down. Most coins/ gold have been salvaged. The 1857-S Double Eagles/ over 9,900 freshly minted at San Francisco/ 7600 have been recovered and conserved.  Prices are still high for MS-65s and better. 63/64s are going down in price.

This San Jose/  sunk by British is easier to salvage/ and carried billions in gold/ silver/ emeralds. It will make lots of MS cobs avaliable to ordinary collectors (like me) which is a good thing/ gold coins for everyone to enjoy/ not just the rich and famous. However there are still legalities/ Spain probably has claim (spanish ship/ property)??????

4fd4345815eb0c95fcf3a84910ad0615.jpg

• Like 4