Leu Wins?

Ancient Coin Hunter

• Benefactor

I bid (and won I believe) an anonymous folle from the time of Romanus IV. The only thing that has happened, or not happened, is that there is no word from Leu on the successful bid other than showing "bid accepted" right after the item was auctioned off. Because the auction is still going on is it possible that they will not send an email to winners until it is concluded?

Just curious. Otherwise something funky might be going on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ela126 said:

Is your bid what it shows as the hammer price?

Login at Leu Website.

My Leu --> My Bids

And then scroll down your bids. If the Lot was closed and the price was green - you won the coin. 

Example - this Aureus I didn't win (what makes me angry is that I was too slow) - because the price was after closed red. If the price was green - I won the lot.

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-14um15_01_53.png.239084c48809318b1932ea8d5c804a9c.png

• Like 6
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1

It's normal. You find your wins in the "My Leu" section. When the hammer price is green, it's yours.

I've never spent so much in an auction... My wins:

image.jpeg.bb564b0661f41d5109cf08738e3d3370.jpeg
https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/46/260

image.jpeg.138fd7c4ca019ebac29df2e192949d3f.jpeg

https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/46/3939

2 long term dream coins of mine: A portrait of Julius Caesar and the Stone of Emesa. I cannot wait to receive them.

Edited by Salomons Cat
Oh - is this thread only to answer the question where to find the wins? Not to show your wins? 😄
  • Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Benefactor

Thanks for all the replies. I logged into MyLeu and there it was...Romanus I believe was the dude who lost the Battle of Manzikert against the ascendant Seljuk Turks, foreshadowing the loss of Anatolia...I believe the Anatolikon Theme, or military district, was greatly weakened even though the battle was far away near Lake Van on the marches of Armenia. Therefore the Turks kept proceeding toward Constantinople and took the great city of Nicea(modern Iznik) which became their capitol...

Anonymous Folle, time of Romanus IV, circa 1068-1071. Follis (Bronze, 26 mm, 9.69 g, 5 h), Constantinopolis.

Nimbate bust of Christ facing, wearing tunic and pallium, raising his right hand in benediction and holding book of Gospels in his left; in fields, IC - XC. 

Rev. Nimbate bust of the Virgin Mary facing, orans, wearing pallium and maphorium; in fields

MHP - ΘV. DOC Class G. SB 1867. Some deposits, otherwise, very fine.

00371q00.jpg.3f75b28fb93dac25eaa3f39bb7d7ae72.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 9
  • Yes 1

Well, this was meant to be a free-shipping "snack", but it became the main meal.

image.png.6951d27677a0ab75a239bc726c139b47.png

Nothing special about it - just an issue filler at a cheap price.

The main meal was meant to be this one, but it went way beyond my price limit. $5.6K for a Constantine SOLI INVICTO !

https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/46/4751

It's a very rare one to be sure, but the price was still a bit of a shock, and I have to wonder if Leu's suspected auction shenanigans might have been at play in pushing a nuclear bidder to their max. The winning bid of CHF 4200 was placed with 12 seconds to go in the auction - pretty standard sniping time - and would have won the coin for CHF 1500, until another bid of CHF 4000 came in 2 seconds before the lot closed. I find it suspicious that someone wanting a coin so badly would risk sniping at T - 2 sec ! ...

These ex. Ramskold bronzes seem to have done more consistently better in this tranch than in previous sales. Perhaps the pre-xmas effect.

Maybe the lesson for me is don't snack before meal time! 😀

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Salomons Cat said:

It's normal. You find your wins in the "My Leu" section. When the hammer price is green, it's yours.

2 long term dream coins of mine: A portrait of Julius Caesar and the Stone of Emesa. I cannot wait to receive them.

Wow! Both of those are enviable wins. Fantastic JC portrait and that Elagabalus stone denarius is about the best I've seen.

Congrats!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Login at Leu Website.

My Leu --> My Bids

And then scroll down your bids. If the Lot was closed and the price was green - you won the coin. 

Example - this Aureus I didn't win (what makes me angry is that I was too slow) - because the price was after closed red. If the price was green - I won the lot.

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-14um15_01_53.png.239084c48809318b1932ea8d5c804a9c.png

Incredible… I must say that there were indeed more great coins in this auction than I could buy. This was a huge opportunity. And I cannot believe that I didn’t even notice this aureus. Although he has a dent at his eyebrow 🤔 That's a major setback for an otherwise perfect coin.

But it’s the end of the year - I have to pay back a part of my mortgage and I have to pay taxes soon. I simply couldn’t afford it to buy more in this auction. I was probably not the only one.

7 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

A well-chosen and well-thought-out selection. Congratulations.

Thank you for your kind words!! These coins will be 2 very important cornerstones of my collection.

It was very difficult to let these Commodus denarii go. I had them on my watch list. Not only the ones from your collection. There was a great unpublished bust type and an outstanding contemporary imitation of a Commodus denarius, too. I don't know if there will be any other opportunity to acquire such Commodus denarii. But I simply went all-in for the two coins shown above.

Thank you, @David Atherton!

I hope that these coins will arrive safe at their new home. But I live in Switzerland - maybe I should pick them up personally…

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 3

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Salomons Cat said:

Hi. No limitations on what is discussed, just post away!

• Like 2

I only participated on Day 2/ ended up winning two nice coins (original post)

The last 4 weeks have been mucho $$$$$$$$$! But/ also added 18 new coins to my collection. Think of it this way/ one way of converting Canadian Dollars into a commodity thats rare/ beautifull to look at and instead of loosing value/ the opposite/ best of everything!

• Like 6