San Francisco International Numismatic Bourse

Xeno

Has anyone ever attended this show before? I am in the SF bay area so I will probably be in attendance as it is close by. They are advertising it as "the biggest ancient coin show on the west coast" and I am curious if anyone here has ever been or had opinions. Should be an awesome time I'm looking forward to getting to gawk in person at coins way out of my price range.

My wife and I used to go to when we lived in Santa Rosa. It was at the Holiday Inn on Van Ness back then. And like you said, great masterpieces to drool over! It was also nice to have a chance to meet some of the people who were taking so much of my income. Tom Cederlind was always friendly, and would chase us down (I think he had a thing for my wife 😉) and drag us back to his table to show me his latest material. And I remember Dennis Kroh telling me of when he used to be in the band Kansas. My wife would look through the bargain antiquities while I was hobnobbing, and we always blew our budget.

Yeah, good times!

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

I'm thinking of attending the show on Saturday. 

It has been many years since I last attended.  CNG will be there but I am not sure about Harlan Berk, who used to be present at past shows. 

Here is the dealer list:

Attending Dealers : 

Wolfshead Gallery

Musa Numismatic Art

Leu Numismatik USA

Multnomah Coins, Inc.

Classical Numismatics Group, Inc.

Gold Rush Numismatics

Nemona Collectibles

Griffin Coins

Herakles Numismatics

ANACS Grading Service

Michael Bezayiff

From what you guys are saying sounds like an absolute blast. I guess now is the time to preemptively apologize to my wallet...

• Benefactor
7 minutes ago, Xeno said:

Here is the dealer list:

Attending Dealers : 

Wolfshead Gallery

Musa Numismatic Art

Leu Numismatik USA

Multnomah Coins, Inc.

Classical Numismatics Group, Inc.

Gold Rush Numismatics

Nemona Collectibles

Griffin Coins

Herakles Numismatics

ANACS Grading Service

Michael Bezayiff

From what you guys are saying sounds like an absolute blast. I guess now is the time to preemptively apologize to my wallet...

CNG and Leu are quite expensive -- to say the least -- when they sell coins at retail. If I were you, I'd head straight for Herakles Numismatics and Perry Siegel. I make sure to visit his table every year at NYINC, and not only does he always have a great selection of ancient coins for sale, but his prices are very reasonable. I've bought coins from Musa as well.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

CNG and Leu are quite expensive -- to say the least -- when they sell coins at retail. If I were you, I'd head straight for Herakles Numismatics and Perry Siegel. I make sure to visit his table every year at NYINC, and not only does he always have a great selection of ancient coins for sale, but his prices are very reasonable.

Thank you Donna! Will do! If the prices aren't right I will try and save my money for upcoming auctions. To me the best part of these shows is getting to see many coins I will never have a chance to see again, so not coming home with one is just fine, I will still have gotten to have an awesome experience.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Good luck on your attendance. When I moved to the Bay Area at age 13 I used to go to Frank L. Kovacs' offices on Post Street. Here he managed his mail order auction empire before the age of the Internet. He was sort of my mentor in coin collecting being nice to the budding teenage collector which I was. Since then they have endowed the Frank L. Kovacs Numismatic library at Stanford. 

• Like 3