My first Otho!

CPK

I have a Galba denarius, and Vitellius isn't too hard to get. But Otho seems to be the most expensive of the A.D. 69 emperors.

I wanted to get an Otho coin eventually, but I wasn't sure when I'd ever buy one since they seem to start at around $500, and I've only spent that much money on a single coin twice. Most of my collection is sub-$300. Also for $500 there are a lot of other coins I'd rather have!

When I saw this rather poor Otho denarius in the recent Savoca auction, I thought just maybe this could be an affordable Otho for my collection. I placed a bid, and ended up winning!

Yes, it's very worn and corroded, but hey this guy isn't complaining...not only is Otho's portrait distinctly recognizable, but there is also left visible his name (barely). The reverse I don't care as much about, which is good since it's even worse; but even so there is still plenty of detail left to be able to identify the type.

Overall I am stoked that I was able to fill this difficult and expensive spot at what I consider a very reasonable price! Somewhat unexpectedly, too, since I wasn't sure I would win with my bid. 

What do you think of the coin? It's a bit lightweight, but I figure that's from the wear and the corrosion (it's a fairly thin flan too). I don't think it's a fouree or anything. (And I'm sure Savoca would have caught it if it was.) 

20220630_175605.jpg.941c561017aefb449dd8e9e8c7db4b73.jpg

Oh, and please post up your Otho coins! 🙂

• Like 25

Nice coin @CPK! Nothing wrong with a bit of character, especially if the price is right. 😊 

3 hours ago, CPK said:

I don't think it's a fouree or anything. (And I'm sure Savoca would have caught it if it was.) 

Savoca tends to be a high volume auction house which means they don’t have as much time to careful vet every coin that passes through their auctions. Some things might slip through the cracks. I imagine this is especially true for their Blue Auctions. All that to say it is still important to evaluate in hand when it arrives and trust your own opinion as well. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

Nice coin @CPK! Nothing wrong with a bit of character, especially if the price is right. 😊 

Savoca tends to be a high volume auction house which means they don’t have as much time to careful vet every coin that passes through their auctions. Some things might slip through the cracks. I imagine this is especially true for their Blue Auctions. All that to say it is still important to evaluate in hand when it arrives and trust your own opinion as well. 

You are probably right; they don't appear to put a lot of effort into their listings. I've purchased a few coins from them that have been mis-labelled. That's partly why I was interested in hearing other's thoughts on the coin, especially since Otho types are more often counterfeited than some. I certainly don't want a fake!

To my admittedly inexperienced eyes it appears legitimate enough. I guess sometimes honest wear is a good thing? 🙂

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Octavius said:

Congrats - he is a toughy. He may have ruled very briefly, but was probably best known for his noble death.

a10.jpg.a264069211bfd1b999d7673f7cb929d9.jpg

Once again you steal the show! 😉 That is beauty!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CPK said:

You are probably right; they don't appear to put a lot of effort into their listings. I've purchased a few coins from them that have been mis-labelled. That's partly why I was interested in hearing other's thoughts on the coin, especially since Otho types are more often counterfeited than some. I certainly don't want a fake!

To my admittedly inexperienced eyes it appears legitimate enough. I guess sometimes honest wear is a good thing? 🙂

your coin looks good to me. Back of head, shape of nose, and lettering all look characteristically like Otho.

• Like 2

Always nice to snag an Otho. I got mine 24 years ago, for big $$$ back then, that would look like a steal as of today's standard

5c6743eab0b04116889c9069696d5e9d.jpg

Otho, denarius - Rome mint, AD 69
IMP M OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P, Bare head of Otho right
SECURITAS PR, Securitas standing left
3.50 gr
Ref : RIC # 8, RCV #2162, Cohen #17

Q

• Like 15
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Congratulations! When it comes to collecting the coins in the civil war of 68-69, Otho is notoriously difficult to acquire, especially with a limited budget. You did well! The portrait is good, you can distinguish his funky wig, and part of his name is legible. 

I have no reason to doubt the coin. Although it's good advice to check out fake databases when buying from Savoca, as a fake might slip through in their large volume auctions. 

• Like 1

Denarius of Otho 69 AD Obv Head right bare Rv Victory advaning left holding wreath and palm. RIC 16 3.34 grms Photo by W. Hansenotho2.jpg.ba90e0437e25ac0b0496983196b3d5f5.jpg

Viewing this image it is clear that we can see what his famous wig may have looked like. It appears to be in four parallel waves running across his forehead contrasting with the rest of his hair which is combed forward. Given my recent experienc wearing masks due o Covid it seems likely that the supports were fixed around his ears. 

• Like 11
  • Popcorn 1

A day when you add an Otho coin is not a bad day.

From the year of the 4 emperors, I scored some Vespasian coins (of course) and a Vitellius.  I mean denarii.

I lack any Galba coin and for Otho I stole this one at a price I was very happy about - 36 EUR + taxes

image.png.a3d957e2888c19515733763d611732d3.png

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antiochia ad Orontem. Otho. A.D. 69. Æ 14.97gr
IMP M OTHO CAE(S) AVG (clockwise), laureate head of Otho, r. / S C, inscription in a laurel wreath of eight leaves. Countermarked - Howgego 245 - Athena facing right with shield and spear
RPC I 4318, BMC 207, 209–11, McAlee 321c

Agreed, 1. it's a provincial from Antioch so probably much more common than denarii 2. the legend is worn so you can't see OTHO on it.

But frankly I was very happy to get it. The auction house described it as "possible Otho" but I consulted several collectors who confirmed it's Otho. And I pretty much prefer this kind of portrait but with obscured legend rather than a better legend with a worse portrait.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted during the reign of OTHO in 69 A.D. Obv.IMP.M.OTHO.CAESAR.AVG.TR.P. Bare head r. Rev. SECVRITAS.P.R. Securitas stg. l., holding wreath and scepter. (another type publicizing the advantages of peace, in conjunction with the negotiations with Vitellius.) RCS #744. RICI #12 pg. 260. DVM #8a pg. 95.

image.png.49c34165d0c4f75de98556d2204dbb7c.pngimage.png.f72f27e5e0a30a82fee70799b59cc338.png

Edited by Jims,Coins
  • Like 8