New Roman Republican denarius by L. Atilius Nomentanus - a "classic rarity"

Jason23

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum, and thought I would share a coin I won earlier this year.  For coins I am focussed on early Roman Republican coins, for antiquities I am focussed predominantly on Iron Age Etruscan artefacts (the so-called "Villanovan").

Moneyer: L.ATILI NOM, 141BC, Rome mint, denarius

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, XVI. Border of dots.

Reverse: Victory in biga r., holding whip in r. hand and reins in l. hand; below, LATILI ligated; in exergue, NOM.  Line border.

Dimensions:  20.0mm; 3.83g; 8h

Condition: Very fine; cabinet tone

References: RRC 225/1; Sydenham 444; BMCRR Rome 904

Provenance: Switzerland – Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG, Auction 138, 18 May 2023, lot 401 (Graham Collection of Roman Republican Coins); reputedly private purchase from Jules Florange on 23 March 1974.

I was super happy to obtain this coin.  For memory, Andrew McCabe considers this type as a "classic rarity” (I read this somewhere, but cannot recall where!).  Crawford notes that the legend NOM, in the position occupied by the name ROMA on contemporary issues, appears without exception on official pieces of this issue.  The substitution of NOM for ROMA is unexplained; I like Crawford’s explanation in the Roman tradition of punning names that we often seen on the Roman Republican coinage.  The moneyer is perhaps L. Atilius Nomentanus and perhaps identical with the Nomentanus who was probably on the staff of Q. Mucius Scaevola, pr. 120BC in Asia.

I've not yet started a deep dive on provenance (but on a first pass, no match in Schaefer)!

3983198_1680796997.l.jpg

• Like 23
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Jason23 said:

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum, and thought I would share a coin I won earlier this year.  For coins I am focussed on early Roman Republican coins, for antiquities I am focussed predominantly on Iron Age Etruscan artefacts (the so-called "Villanovan").

Moneyer: L.ATILI NOM, 141BC, Rome mint, denarius

Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, XVI. Border of dots.

Reverse: Victory in biga r., holding whip in r. hand and reins in l. hand; below, LATILI ligated; in exergue, NOM.  Line border.

Dimensions:  20.0mm; 3.83g; 8h

Condition: Very fine; cabinet tone

References: RRC 225/1; Sydenham 444; BMCRR Rome 904

Provenance: Switzerland – Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG, Auction 138, 18 May 2023, lot 401 (Graham Collection of Roman Republican Coins); reputedly private purchase from Jules Florange on 23 March 1974.

I was super happy to obtain this coin.  For memory, Andrew McCabe considers this type as a "classic rarity” (I read this somewhere, but cannot recall where!).  Crawford notes that the legend NOM, in the position occupied by the name ROMA on contemporary issues, appears without exception on official pieces of this issue.  The substitution of NOM for ROMA is unexplained; I like Crawford’s explanation in the Roman tradition of punning names that we often seen on the Roman Republican coinage.  The moneyer is perhaps L. Atilius Nomentanus and perhaps identical with the Nomentanus who was probably on the staff of Q. Mucius Scaevola, pr. 120BC in Asia.

I've not yet started a deep dive on provenance (but on a first pass, no match in Schaefer)!

3983198_1680796997.l.jpg

Beautiful! Welcome to the forum, Jason. Good to see you here 

• Like 2

Welcome to the board! And bonus points for style with your first thread being an RR!

Here's a coin from just a few years later, but still pre Gracchi bros:

image.png.381a5958f6f8898663c4aef79c9a3cff.png

C. Renius, Rome, 138 BC. AR Denarius (17mm, 3.60g). Helmeted head of Roma r. R/ Juno Caprotina driving biga of goats r., holding whip, reins, and sceptre. Crawford 231/1; RBW 961; RSC Renia 1. Fine. Purchased from Aphrodite Dec 2022

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Welcome to the board! And bonus points for style with your first thread being an RR!

Here's a coin from just a few years later, but still pre Gracchi bros:

image.png.381a5958f6f8898663c4aef79c9a3cff.png

C. Renius, Rome, 138 BC. AR Denarius (17mm, 3.60g). Helmeted head of Roma r. R/ Juno Caprotina driving biga of goats r., holding whip, reins, and sceptre. Crawford 231/1; RBW 961; RSC Renia 1. Fine. Purchased from Aphrodite Dec 2022

Thank you!  

• Clap 1

Welcome! That's a very nice coin and first post. 

I think there are some members here who are very fanatic when it comes to provenance searching and so on. Maybe they can help you out with your quest (if you of course would like that). 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 6:45 PM, Limes said:

Welcome! That's a very nice coin and first post. 

I think there are some members here who are very fanatic when it comes to provenance searching and so on. Maybe they can help you out with your quest (if you of course would like that). 

Thank you!  I've been getting some great support with resources to follow for provenance hunting, but of course always welcome more advice and tips!

• Like 1

• Benefactor

For background, what's cool about this coin is that it's the first denarius to omit the name "Roma," replacing it with the pseudo-punning "Nom." "Nom" on the OP coin is dramatically clear and well-centered, which can't be said about the majority of examples of the type. A very worthwhile coin.

• Like 2

Very nice example of a the rarest issue of the five major issues with "XVI" as the mark of value.  Your coin is special for the reasons @Phil Davis mentions.  Although Crawford  only cites these five issues with the XVI mark of value, there are extremely rare examples of RRC 232/1, Cn Geli, with this XVI mark of value, discovered by Pierluigi Debernardi.  A few authentic examples with XVI clearly used, and a few examples where the die had been modified to erase the VI

Edited by SteveJBrinkman
  • Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 3:40 AM, Phil Davis said:

For background, what's cool about this coin is that it's the first denarius to omit the name "Roma," replacing it with the pseudo-punning "Nom." "Nom" on the OP coin is dramatically clear and well-centered, which can't be said about the majority of examples of the type. A very worthwhile coin.

Thanks Phil, yes it has definitely taken pride of place and was very happy to pay a bit extra for it!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:01 AM, SteveJBrinkman said:

Very nice example of a the rarest issue of the five major issues with "XVI" as the mark of value.  Your coin is special for the reasons @Phil Davis mentions.  Although Crawford  only cites these five issues with the XVI mark of value, there are extremely rare examples of RRC 232/1, Cn Geli, with this XVI mark of value, discovered by Pierluigi Debernardi.  A few authentic examples with XVI clearly used, and a few examples where the die had been modified to erase the VI

Thanks Steve, I'm keen to collect the known XVI issues although the rare RRC 232/1 examples might be hardest to come by!  

• Like 1