Dionysian Influence on Tarentine Coinage

Phil Anthos

There have been a few posts lately showing the coins of Taras with some rather vague but still specific iconography, so thought I'd post this.

Although no images of Dionysus appear on Tarentine coinage His cult was very strong in the polis and his symbols abound. Statuary and terracotta votives were mass produced and the waterfront theater dedicated to Dionysus, so famous for its vulgar treatment of the Roman envoy was a centerpiece of the city.

Numismatically we see His influence everywhere, if not an actual portrait, so here are a few..

Wine and textiles were major industries in Taras so it is natural for them to be represented on the cities' coinage. But there is more going on. Here we see two didrachns of the typical horseman/dolphin rider type. The first is holding a bunch of grapes  and a spindle. Now the grapes are an easy association, but we can also picture the spindle as a Dionysian phallic symbol, especially since the dolphin rider in this case represents Iacchus, the son of Dionysus and Persephone (another cthonic association). Terracotta images of Iacchus are common among Tarentine burials. 

The second shows the dolphin rider (in this case likely Phalanthos) holding a wine cup in his extended hand, a very common device although often off-flan.8

- The Tarantinians Carouse -
The theaters are full, music everywhere,
here debauchery and lewdness, and there
athletic and sophistical contests.
An unwithering wreath adorns the statue
of Dionysus. Not an earthly nook remains
unsprinkled by libations...

~ Kavafy (1933)

Vlasto_789-1.jpg

Yz5be8QQTH7t49dDj3LtKaK96nNcgm.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5

Next we have a pair of fractions showing somewhat more obvious Dionysian symbolism. 

The first is a Vlasto plate coin, #1661.
The kantharos device on this series of coins, and the bunch of grapes on this particular specimen, must refer to the influence upon the Tarentines of the local cult of Chthonic Dionysus, and a festival to Him was held annually within the city.
The second coin furthers this influence. 

normal_Taras_Obol_Grapes.jpeg.jpg

normal_Vlasto_1527.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6

Finally we have another fraction.

The broken column has appeared throughout history as a funerary symbol. This would be fitting in Taras, a polis with a strong cthonic cult. As such it is likely that its appearance here is also representative of Dionysus.

Another common Dionysian symbol appearing on Tarentine coinage is the panther, but i don't have an example to show here.

"The Dionysia (Festival of Dionysos) . . . a revel such as I once upon a time witnessed. . . at our [the The Dionysia (Festival of Dionysos) . . . a revel such as I once upon a time [Spartans] colony of Tarenton, too, saw the whole city drunk at the Dionysia."                   ~ Plato, Laws 637b (trans. Lamb) (Greek philosopher C4th B.C.) :

~ Peter 

G4c5K4Zr9PxAa78ABkR2Qb3o6yYYfF.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5

I read somewhere that the Doric column was a symbol used by Pyrrhus. These show up on the litrae as well as the didrachms. The other one was the elephant, which shows up on at least one didrachm issue.

I had not previously considered the symbols of Dionysius on Tarentine coinage but I suppose that hypothesis makes sense. I previously thought that the obols showing the kantharos on both sides were due to Tarentum's pottery industry and had not associated them with a specific deity.

I thought the panthers and panther skins were on the early coins, ad the later ones were a punning allusion to a magistrate Leon (or name starting  Leon), as  in they were lions but with a lot of the symbols  it is educated guesswork.

I saw someone claim once that the birds shown on a few  coins were a reference to  Tarentum's  claim to beat the Wright Brothers to First In Flight. A particularly outstanding leader of Taras was Archytas, who was supposed to have invented a self-propelled model  flying dove.  Sadly the coin date didn't match the claim!

My panther/lion -

Vlasto 857
Obverse: Rider right crowning horse; below, ΛΕΩΝ.
Reverse: Taras on dolphin left, holding grapes in right and trident in left hand; AN ligate behind, lion below.

screenshot-2023-01-14-at-11-47-47-tarentum-calabria-ar-stater-vf-ef-ca-272-240-bc-orig_orig.png

• Like 7

Also Dionysus was indirectly responsible for the downfall of the city!

Very short version is Rome had been expanding south, threatening Taras' regional  power. A treaty was concluded on spheres of  control in 282, effecting  banning  Rome from the gulf. A terrible storm  though blew a Roman  fleet in during the important feast of Dionysus which caused  huge offense and an attack  on the surviving ships.  The Romans officially protested but their delegation was treated badly, and the rest, sadly for the city, is history. 

22 hours ago, Romismatist said:

I read somewhere that the Doric column was a symbol used by Pyrrhus. These show up on the litrae as well as the didrachms. The other one was the elephant, which shows up on at least one didrachm issue.

Interesting post.  Here's an Ionic column base (below the horse), also said to be used by Pyrrhus, per romanist on Coin Talk a while back:

TarantumCalabria-DidrachmNov2019(0).jpg.1d92919fb50e6d654aec4a1416e52e9c.jpg

Calabria, Tarentum AR Nomos, Zo-, Zalo-, and An- Magistrate (c. 280-272 B.C.) Naked youth on horseback right, crowning self; ΣΩ to left, ZAΛO & Ionic capital below / Phalanthos riding dolphin left, holding distaff & aphlaston; TAΡA[Σ] below; ANΘ to right. Vlasto 803–7; SNG ANS 1142.  (6.30 grams / 19 mm) eBay Nov. 2019

Notes:  "...your didrachm is of a reduced standard. The coin coincides with the arrival of Pyrrhus in Italy  c. 280 BC at the request of the Tarentines...His battle with the Romans at Asculum occured in 279 BC, from which the term "Pyrrhic victory" emerged.  The Ionic column below the horse rider is sometimes viewed as a symbol of Pyrrhus. There are other didrachms with a small elephant in place of the column, which is seen as another Pyrrhic symbol."  romismatist at CT, Feb. 2022

• Like 6

Ironically (and the temptation to pun here was overwhelming) they are usually Ionic columns which I've seen depicted this way. However I believe the only remaining columns at Taranto are Doric, which makes sense for a Spartan colony. This suggests the symbol was based on tradition and not just a local landmark (or industry?). 

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 1

Very nice coins and thread. 

Here's one from the time of Pyrrhos that I have a theory on, that being the shield boss is, pretty clearly, the star of Vergina:

4052446_1682064137.l-removebg-preview.png.c3c0051ab06dd41e144c08f7bbedbf3e(1).png.6b6e742eabb1ab2c7d12ac937a33c40e.png

ITALY. Calabria. Tarentum. Didrachm or nomos (silver). Approx. 280 - 272 BC Chr.

Obv: warrior on horseback with shield, w star of Vergina boss(?) and spear riding left; Zeta Omega in left field, magistrate's name between legs.

Rev: Naked Taras with spindle and bunch of grapes, riding left on dolphin; in the field on the right ear of corn.

22mm 6.45g, HN Italy 1013; Coll. Vlasto 800. Very nice.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1