No More Buttons!

David Atherton

This has been brought up before and I believe the consensus was "no", there is no way to block sellers on vcoins.
I would love to block the same seller. Too many buttons. I did buy a coin from them once though. They were very prompt with shipping...so there's that haha. Not worth sifting through all their buttons though.

• Like 4

I'm sure they're perfectly legit if one orders from them, but I'd like to filter out Athena's special patinas.

Speaking of filter, what drives me nuts in searches is that the filter changes often.  I'd like to set it once, like price high to low, and forget it.  Not newest first.  I generally don't care about newest.

• Like 2

I also think it'd be a great idea to be able to line item certain countries from the search, such as Spain.  Some of the Spanish dealers have really great coins, but it's kind of a moot point if it's going to take 15 years and I have to pay a ransom to the Spanish government.  Ditto, Italy.  Due to inane laws, they won't even ship here.  Sounds really fair.  I'd have to find someone in Europe and have it sent to me.

• Like 2

I only search the sellers from the United States when I go on vcoins. I find a list of sellers by country and scroll down by country. I can choose a handful of sellers in there that I am becoming more familiar with and have also bought from. 

It's nothing personal, I just don't use payment methods international sellers require. I don't have PP or Zelle or wire money. I won't wait forever for shipment to cross oceans and go through the customs and don't want to pay high shipping either. I'm sure I am missing a lot of opportunities but I'm OK with that. There's plenty of fish in the sea.

I don't think I'll run across the button seller this way. So if you search by seller, maybe that is a simple solution. Bookmark your favorite sellers. If you really need a certain coin, put in those keywords and it should narrow it down.

Some searches on some sites work if you put a minus sign directly in front of a search word.

Like this Napoleonic War -button 

Result

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/numismatica_prados-241/search/all/0/Default.aspx?store_search=Napoleonic+War+-button&store_between=0&store_between_and=99999&searchMaxRecords=100&searchDisplayAsList=False&searchDate=&searchDateType=0&store_order_by=&solditems=False

Take the -button away and just enter 

Napoleonic War

Result

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/numismatica_prados-241/search/all/0/Default.aspx?store_search=Napoleonic+War&store_between=0&store_between_and=99999&searchMaxRecords=100&searchDisplayAsList=False&searchDate=&searchDateType=0&store_order_by=&solditems=False

Looks like that worked here!

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, hotwheelsearl said:

I actually bought a few hundred of those buttons in a lot once. Not sure why. What am I gonna do with 200 Spanish buttons now!?

I actually find them interesting but can understand the frustration of our thread starter.

You could buy a few dozen uniforms that need buttons I suppose.

nap.gif.0b4fa01fcb7f1d73fbc4ff02ee06de7a.gif

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 2

Yes! I would really like to be able to do the following on Vcoins via filters, which would always be in the left panel, similar to the filters for "Items Added Since", "NGC Certified", and "Price Between". And in the advanced search tool.

1. Use a filter to weed out a specified list of sellers.

2. Use a filter to weed out sellers from all countries except for the USA. More generally, be able to restrict a search to sellers from a specified list of countries, or to exclude sellers from a specified list of countries.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm also very tired of having the ancients section clogged up with buttons, modern Spanish coins, and religious exonumia. I sent Numis Prados a message once on VCoins asking if they would please stop, but I guess nothing came of it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CPK said:

Yeah I'm also very tired of having the ancients section clogged up with buttons, modern Spanish coins, and religious exonumia. I sent Numis Prados a message once on VCoins asking if they would please stop, but I guess nothing came of it.

I don't know if that's their fault. If you search for 'button' and click on 'Ancient coins', sure enough, they're there. But if you click on one, the location is "VCoins - Numismática Prados - World Coins - Europe - Spain - EUROPEAN BUTTON MILITARY".

I have no idea why they appear in Ancients.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Cool Think 1

34 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

David-- If you use the "Advanced Search" option and plug in "Vespasian Titus Domitian" in the "any of these words" field, won't that get you the search you want, eliminating the buttons and a lot of other extraneous (to you) stuff besides?

I don't know about @David Atherton but for me where it's the most pain is when I look at "newly added" ancients, and the pages are clogged with buttons and such. Not really a search problem.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
17 minutes ago, CPK said:

I don't know about @David Atherton but for me where it's the most pain is when I look at "newly added" ancients, and the pages are clogged with buttons and such. Not really a search problem.

If you want to look at all newly added ancients, for sure the buttons et al are gonna be a pain in the butt. Probably no way to avoid them. Nothing wrong with being a generalist, but I assumed David really only wants to see the Flavians. Maybe that's a faulty assumption on my part.

• Yes 1

35 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

If you want to look at all newly added ancients, for sure the buttons et al are gonna be a pain in the butt. Probably no way to avoid them. Nothing wrong with being a generalist, but I assumed David really only wants to see the Flavians. Maybe that's a faulty assumption on my part.

You are correct, I really only want to see what new Flavians have been listed. Generally I type in each name and do a search one at a time. I did not know there was a feature where all three names could be typed in at once! Until now my workaround was just viewing all the new listings. Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPK said:

All these years of using VCoins and I didn't know I could just type in a speciality search. At least for me the buttons are vanquished. Hopefully my email to VCoins admin will do the same for the generalists!

• Like 2