Helena Follis — Finally

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

I’ve always found the Helena and the True Cross legend to be an interesting one and I’ve been on the lookout for this type of coin, on and off, over the years. Until now however other coin types have taken precedence. Anyway, I’m really happy to add this one to my collection.

image.jpeg.f347b06f71fcf180067aa313da7f54bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e479a26418a6b10c61436324331973d.jpeg

Please post your Helena coins or any coin additions that you may have procrastinated over.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 18
  • Clap 1

Beautiful coin, great pick up.

The attribution you have put against it has the wrong mintmark. I think it is this

Helena, AE Small Follis. FL HELENA AVGVSTA, diademed bust right wearing mantle and necklace / SECVRITAS REIPVBLICE, Securitas standing left, lowering branch with right hand, raising hem of robe with left hand. Mintmark NΔ. Sear 16621.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, expat said:

The attribution you have put against it has the wrong mintmark. I think it is this

Helena, AE Small Follis. FL HELENA AVGVSTA, diademed bust right wearing mantle and necklace / SECVRITAS REIPVBLICE, Securitas standing left, lowering branch with right hand, raising hem of robe with left hand. Mintmark NΔ. Sear 16621.

Yes actually Sear 16621 is RIC 148 (Nicomedia). So the attribution is correct even if the description isn't.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
30 minutes ago, expat said:

Thanks @expat — much appreciated 👍 !

• Like 1

Nice addition and superb sand patina !

3b99b381b4764eefb0ca48cf96f2ee71.jpg

Helena, AE3 - Heraclea mint, 5th officina
FL HELENA AVGVSTA, draped and diademed bust right
SECVRITAS REIPVBLICE, Helena standing left, holding branch and raising her dress. dot SMHE dot at exergue
2.9 gr
Ref : Cohen # 12, LRBC # 879

Q

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 2

It took years to even find a Helena from London that I could afford. Then two came along at once.

Helena Follis, 324-325
image.png.ee2e258e0bf7def3b511fe8c2a92949b.png
Londinium. Bronze, 19mm, 2.83g. Bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, right; FL HELENA - AVGVSTA. Securitas, draped, standing left, raising pallium with right hand and lowering branch with left hand; SECVRITAS - REIPVBLICE; PLON in exegue (RIC VII, 299).

Helena Follis, 324-325

image.png.97aa34f5f55817483ed27505499a5f71.png
Londinium. Bronze, 20mm, 2.93g. Bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, right; FL HELENA - AVGVSTA. Securitas, draped, standing left, raising pallium with right hand and lowering branch with left hand; SECVRITAS - REIPVBLICE; PLON in exegue (RIC VII, 299).

• Like 13

Bronze Coin (AE3) minted at Nicomedia for HELENA, Mother of CONSTANTINE I, The Great between 325 – 326 A.D. Obv. FL.HELENA.AVGVSTA. Diademed & mantled bust right to right, wearing necklace. Rev. SECVRITAS.REPVBLICE. Securitas stg. l., lowering branch, raising robe with r. hand. RCS #3908. RICVII #129 pg.621. DVM #3. LRBC #1091.

image.png.1a2ace52f90113cd6b5166213e7915cb.pngimage.png.6884dfcd73def87c973a6d15e445a664.png

Helena was born in the Greek town of Drepanum in Asia Minor circa 247 CE.  Constantius I purportedly met her in Asia Minor while on campaign against Zenobia. Helena became the first wife (whether formally or common law is unclear) of Constantius I 270 and mother of Constantine I (the “Great”) circa 272. Although Constantius initially referred to her as his soulmate and they were together for many years, he divorced her circa 289 in order to marry Flavia Maximiana Theodora. At this point Helena and her son Constantine were sent to the court of Diocletian, the mastermind of complete reorganization of the Roman Empire. When Constantine became emperor in 306 he brought Helena into his court and she was ultimately awarded the title of Augusta in 325.

• Like 9

,,very nice DR!..everyone should have a Helena or 2 in the collection! :)...i bought mine because it reminded me of any one of older ladies who came to the festivals at the small town of my youth  (hey, everyone has a reason)...^^

Helena 15mm, 1.06gms..

Helena 2.jpg

• Like 8

Wonderful new addition @LONGINUS as are all the great coins you show here.

Mine isn’t going to win any beauty contests but I got it as a gift in a bag of unattributed LRBs. It was fun to go through and try and ID them.  This was one that was still fairly easy to identify.

Coin5.jpeg.261ffdcaf2444bbbf3775b93b280a24c.jpeg

Roman Empire
Helena (AD 325-330)
AE3, Heraclea mint, struck ca. AD 324-328.
Dia.: 19.8 mm
Wt.: 1.3 g
Obv.: FL HELENA AVGVSTA; Diademed, mantled bust right, wearing necklace.
Rev.: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICE; Securitas standing left, lowering branch and raising hem of robe with right hand.
Ref.: RIC VII Heraclea 95. Mintmark SMH Epsilon.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 9

My two examples:

normal_Helena_1.jpg.6b403f74a057f4e32b200cecf334108f.jpg

Helena
Siscia mint
Obv.: FL HELENA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Rev.: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Securitas standing left, holding branch
AE, 2.38g, 18.7mm
Ref.: RIC 218

normal_Helena_2.jpg.fdbfacc3a6462d1a478bbd4de5a6bac7.jpg

Helena
AE3, Alexandria mint
Obv.: FL HELENA AVGVSTA, diademed bust right wearing double necklace
Rev.: SECVRITAS REIPVBLICE, Securitas standing left, branch in right hand, raising pallium, wreath in field left, I right, SMAL in ex.
AE, 3.11g, 19.1mm
Ref.: RIC VII 48

• Like 7

Great. My example is from Antioch. 

image.png.b26491874454a2682fdf97acfedb6ba6.png

19 mm, 3,71 g.
Helena. Augusta 324-330. Æ follis. Antioch. 327-329.
FL HELENA – AVGVSTA, bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, right / SECVRITAS – REIPVBLICE, Securitas, draped, standing left, raising robe with right hand and lowering branch with left hand. MintMark: -/-//•SMANTS.
RIC VII Antioch 82.

• Like 5

That's a lovely addition to your collection, @LONGINUS! Attractive presentation, too.

Here's a posthumous issue by the sons of Constantine I commemorating the two wives (Helena and Theodora) of Constantius I (AD 305-306), their paternal grandfather. Helena died about eight years before this coin was issued. It's tiny.

[IMG]
Helena, Augusta AD 324-328/330.
Roman billon reduced centenionalis, 1.24 g, 13.4 mm.
Trier, AD 337-340.
Obv: FL IVL HELENAE AVG diademed and draped bust, right.
Rev: PAX PVBLICA, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and transverse scepter; in exergue TR S.
Refs: RIC viii, p. 144, 78; LRBC I 119; Cohen 4; RCV 17492.

• Like 6