Julius Caesar (I think this one is real)

Amarmur

Was thinking of getting a Julius Caesar after saving up. I think this one looks authentic. The dealer said it was a metal detector find in Sirmium. It weighs 2.6 grams. It dates from 44 bc Jan-Feb It has a bankers mark on the obverse. Hope it's the real deal. My apologies for asking for so much help.

4623EAD6-62CD-4C71-95A1-D1D85B3CA1C9.jpeg

BB7EF9E2-B458-464B-9B99-E51982C2CC0E.jpeg

• Like 4

That is a really light weight, though it could just be heavily crystallized in addition to the wear. The coin doesn't scream fake to me but I'd be very cautious about a portrait JC denarius just because they're so popular to fake. Is it an established and trusted dealer?

3 minutes ago, CPK said:

That is a really light weight, though it could just be heavily crystallized in addition to the wear. The coin doesn't scream fake to me but I'd be very cautious about a portrait JC denarius just because they're so popular to fake. Is it an established and trusted dealer?

I did talk about the weight he said it's likely underweight due to being underground and the cleaning process 

He seems pretty reputable, he has his own online store outside of eBay. The dealer is based in Serbia. I know Bulgarian fakes are extremely convincing. He showed me pics of the edge as well and there is no sign of casting. None of his other coins strike me as fake either.

I wouldn't trust it, mainly for the weight. Mine has a yucky surface, but the weight is decent and it was from a very popular Vcoins dealer.

jcport.jpg.b3f5702825275f0d8ea9612489bb19e7.jpg
Julius Caesar (February-March 44 B.C)

AR Denarius
Lifetime Issue
O: Wreathed head of Caesar right; CAESAR downward to right, DICT PERPETVO upward to left.
R: Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory in outstretched right hand and vertical scepter in left; L • BVC[A] downwards to right. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
Rome Mint
3.92g
17mm
Crawford 480/8; Alföldi Type XIV, 62–3, 67, and 69 (A13/R22); CRI 105; Sydenham 1061; RSC 23; RBW 1683.

• Like 2

Well, I guess that's a blues moment for me. I was really looking forward to getting a Caesar denarius. I was even willing to shell out $500 for it! I'm not really looking forward to gambling for a possible fake. I hope one will come on the market eventually that is $500 or less.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

That coin is not worn/flan-damaged enough to be so underweight, unless it's a fourrée. RR coins ought to firmly be in the 3-4g(+/-) range.  Anything well under 3g, throws up flags.

After looking at the seller's 'website', it would be a big "nope" for me.

Are there other fakes on his website?