An Athenian coin with some mystery

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Hello everyone,

Not long ago I picked up this bronze attributed to Athens. AFAICT the attribution is correct, but I haven't been able to find mention of it in any references, nor have I been able to ascertain if it was published at all. 

Athens_poppy.jpg.de5a0b73e66eacf8c4bfe6c889ff6341.jpg

Athens Attica
ca. 270 - 261 BCE
Ae 13.5mm, 2.9gms
Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
Rev: A - OE; Owl standing right with head facing, poppy in right field
Ref: -

If the date range is correct, then it would roughly correspond to the time when Athens declared war against Antigonos II until they submitted to him. From some reading, poppies were associated with the dead, or could also mean a resurrection. While this would be extremely speculative (especially since I'm not 100% sure it is a poppy though in hand it does resemble one), perhaps the poppy symbolized Athens rising up from years of Macedonian dominance and resuming its role as the leading Greek city?

Most of the ancient coinage with poppies occurred later, including a 1st century issue of Eleusis. Another rare 1st century bronze from Athens featured a tripod and a poppy, so poppies aren't unknown on their coinage, though if the dates are right this would be the first attic coin with a poppy AFAIK. There exist earlier coins from Syracuse and Corinth with poppies.

Since I can find no published resources, I'm not 100% sure this is Athens either. I do have a number of other bronzes with both Athena and an owl. In terms of date, it certainly has the look and feel of a 3rd century BCE Greek coin.

Would anyone have more info on this coin?

• Like 6

Cool coin and mystery!

It looks a bit like mine, though considerably smaller and your owl is chilling:

2404681_1638355000.l-removebg-preview.png.4de996379dae33058a46446c039ab11a.png

Attica. Athens. Circa 224/3-198 BC. Av.: Helmeted head of Athena right Rv.: Owl standing right with open wings. Ref.: Kroll 69. Fine, brown patina Weight: 8.15 g 

I'll let you know if I find anything closer...

• Like 6

I'm slightly  off piste here, but I  just read  Kroll's article  on early Athenian bronze coinage where he analysed the  bronze finds from a shaft on the agora. That coin  looks VERY similar to some of those especially because that looks like a Corinthian  helmet she is wearing. If so then there are are few reverse symbols that  the poppy could  be, if not a poppy. It looks very like the wheat-ear symbol  he shows. All the coins are very worn (he ranks 1--6 and these are 5,  6 being awful.) The relevant  coins also  show the theta at 11 o'clock on the reverse.

He suggests a date of the 260's BC.

• Like 4

Alan Walker is often forgotten for the work in the agora excavations but I think this was his major work and it is online 

http://www.ascsa.edu.gr/pdf/uploads/oa_ebooks/oa_agora/Agora_XXVI.pdf

However, I would rather check other regions for the attribution before jumping to Athens. There are many other possibilities like akarnania, Apulia, cities in Asia minor. You should take into account the context of the auction. If it was 99% coins from Asia minor, the odds are against Athens

• Like 2

• Benefactor
32 minutes ago, ajax said:

Alan Walker is often forgotten for the work in the agora excavations but I think this was his major work and it is online 

http://www.ascsa.edu.gr/pdf/uploads/oa_ebooks/oa_agora/Agora_XXVI.pdf

However, I would rather check other regions for the attribution before jumping to Athens. There are many other possibilities like akarnania, Apulia, cities in Asia minor. You should take into account the context of the auction. If it was 99% coins from Asia minor, the odds are against Athens

Thanks! I started with the Athens attribution, based on the seller. According to him, he bought it was part of a collection some 20 years ago and kept it until selling it to me.

The coin certainly looks like Walker Period I, 58. I believe this is the same coin as Kroll Jb. Walker seems to concur with a date from 270-261 BCE.

In terms of Asia Minor, I don't know of such an exact match there. I do have a number with Corinthian helmets, but they have much different reverses. I do have this one from Myrina on Lemnos but you can see it too, due to the city name and the depiction of an alien instead of an owl.

Myrina(Lemnos).jpg.733981406452e6b7f5053cf848090945.jpg

Islands off Thrace, Lemnos, Myrina
Circa 386-261 BCE
Æ 2.41g, 11mm, 12h
Head of Athena to right, wearing Corinthian helmet
MYPI, owl standing facing, [bow to right?]
SNG Copenhagen 989; CN Type 19860; HGC 6, 299

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I think @Deinomenids attribution is the most likely.

I couldn't find the "J-d type in Kroll with the "wheat ear" which is probably your type, but I found the type with the wreath in the field from the same sub category: "J-a in Kroll" . Extremely similar to your coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=158647

BTW, if you know where to look on your coin, you can clearly see the A on top, Θ to left and E to right. 

EDIT: I found now an example of the "J-d type in Kroll", but it's quite worn. You can see an elongated obejct in the right field  like on your coin, but the details are gone:

https://agora.ascsa.net/id/agora/coin/n 52344

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3