Two new denarii

lordmarcovan

Otho and Domitian.  Puts me to seven of the Twelve Caesars, with an offer pending on a Titus.  This is my second time doing the 12C.

Julius Caesar- need
Augustus- have
Tiberius- have
Caligula- need
Claudius-have
Nero- have
Galba- need
Otho- have
Vitellius- need
Vespasian- have
Titus- pending counteroffer
Domitian- have

B690255B-A6DD-4DF2-9A88-06056E806819.png

ECBDA45D-CE5A-4327-9D41-F4CDFF865368.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 28
  • Heart Eyes 11

• Benefactor
19 minutes ago, lordmarcovan said:

Otho and Domitian.  Puts me to seven of the Twelve Caesars, with an offer pending on a Titus.  This is my second time doing the 12C.

Julius Caesar- need
Augustus- have
Tiberius- have
Caligula- need
Claudius-have
Nero- have
Galba- need
Otho- have
Vitellius- need
Vespasian- have
Titus- pending counteroffer
Domitian- have

B690255B-A6DD-4DF2-9A88-06056E806819.png

ECBDA45D-CE5A-4327-9D41-F4CDFF865368.jpeg

Congratulations! 

• Like 3

Very nice additions! That Domitian is looking very good. And an Otho is a difficult issue to add, and yours shows a more then decent portrait. 

I guess you may have shown it before, and I either missed it, or my brain is out of office, but would you mind showing your Claudius denarius? Or do you perhaps mean your great sestertius your showed the other day? 

And, second question (after this, I'll stop 😁); do you happen to have photos, or a digital tray, of your old set? 

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

Great job Lord M! I think I've them all in silver, save Caligula.

Here's my silver Otho and a Domitian (not my favorite coin of his, though he's not afavorite emperor either, but that's our theme):

share39314591706921810.png.bdb5c796fb8f0993de58c6573e01fc02.png

OTHO Den, SECVRITAS PR, Securitas stg l; F/AVG, part of obv lgnd wk/off,scant rev lgnd, good metal with just smooth wear, lt tone, minor scr on rev. Portrait quite bold & nice.(A F/VG realized $439, Ponterio 4/09.) Ex Frank Robinson

share2925746297247944843.png.c7893db86373c64e4e91659d0037bbe4.png

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Limes said:

Very nice additions! That Domitian is looking very good. And an Otho is a difficult issue to add, and yours shows a more then decent portrait. 

I guess you may have shown it before, and I either missed it, or my brain is out of office, but would you mind showing your Claudius denarius? Or do you perhaps mean your great sestertius your showed the other day? 

And, second question (after this, I'll stop 😁); do you happen to have photos, or a digital tray, of your old set? 

My Claudius is indeed that Spes sestertius I posted the other day.

Here is my collection (not showing the new additions yet).  The Twelve Caesars will be a subset of the Eclectic Hundred.

https://www.colleconline.com/en/collection-items/20286/coins-the-eclectic-hundred

Please don't apologize for asking questions, and thank you, since that shows an interest!  I appreciate your taking that interest.

Oh- you asked about my OLD 12C set, didn’t you?  That was ten years ago, on a much smaller budget.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/picture-repost-my-twelve-caesars-roman-collection-from-2011-2013.296895/

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

My Claudius is indeed that Spes sestertius I posted the other day.

Here is my collection (not showing the new additions yet).  The Twelve Caesars will be a subset of the Eclectic Hundred.

https://www.colleconline.com/en/collection-items/20286/coins-the-eclectic-hundred

Please don't apologize for asking questions, and thank you, since that shows an interest!  I appreciate your taking that interest.

Oh- you asked about my OLD 12C set, didn’t you?  That was ten years ago, on a much smaller budget.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/picture-repost-my-twelve-caesars-roman-collection-from-2011-2013.296895/

Thanks! Great coins! Whats it like, collecting a 12Cs set for the second time? 

And your aureus of Titus is really nice. I have the silver denarius of the same type. Its as close as a 'colosseum issue' as I will ever get. 

18 minutes ago, Limes said:

Thanks! Great coins! Whats it like, collecting a 12Cs set for the second time? 

And your aureus of Titus is really nice. I have the silver denarius of the same type. Its as close as a 'colosseum issue' as I will ever get. 

It's fun the second time around!  I know a bit more than I did ten years ago when I did it the first time (though I'd still call myself semi-novice), and I've got a rather larger budget than before.  I did it the first time around with a budgetary ceiling of $500/coin.  That made Otho and Caligula challenging, but I even got a Julius Caesar lifetime portrait denarius within that budget.  Wouldn't be so easy to do that now.

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 2

Nice, Dude 'Covan!

I have a dog's breakfast of the 12 C's, and have them all (and a couple dupes).

Here are my Otho and Dom toss-in's

OTHO
[IMG]
Otho, AD 69.
Billon AR Tetradrachm, 23mm, 11.9gms; Year 1; Egypt-Alexandria.
Obv.:AVTOK MAΓ OΘΩNOΣ KAIΣ ΣEB; Laureate head right, L A in right field
Rev: RΩ-MA; Helmeted, cuirassed bust of Roma right.
Emmet 186

DOMITIAN
[IMG]
RI Domitian

AR Denarius 81-96 CE

Minerva thunderbolt spear shield protruded chin

COS XV CENS PPP

RIC 726

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Very nice coins, congratulations.

The coin marks the awarding of the title Princeps Iuventutis "the first among the young" to Domitian, by his brother Titus. The title probably marked him out as the likely successor to Titus. The title lost significance in the course of the 4th century, when it was awarded to members of the imperial family who were too young for actual offices. By the end of the 4th century the title had disappeared completely. 

Here is my Domitian as Caesar with the same reverse:

Domitian.jpg

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 1 month later...