I know it seems simple but help please.

Greekcoin21

I simply use Microsoft Paint, which comes with Microsoft Windows. I open 2 Paint windows. I open the obverse photo in the 1st Paint window. I open the reverse photo in the 2nd Paint window. I clip the 2 photos to remove unnecessary background. Then, I resize 1 of the photos, so that the number of vertical pixels is the same for the 2 photos, and so that the size of the obverse coin looks the same as the size of the reverse coin. Then, I increase the width of the obverse photo, to create empty space to the right of the obverse photo, and I save the file with a file name like "obverse_and_reverse.jpg". Then, I hit Ctrl A on the keyboard, to select all of the reverse photo. Then, I hit Ctrl C on the keyboard to copy the reverse photo, and then I hit Ctrl V on the keyboard to paste the reverse photo into the white space in the obverse_and_reverse.jpg image.

Edited by sand
  • Like 4

You can do it in Word. Insert the two images, get them aligned ‘in front of text’ so you can move them next to each other, then select them both (using ctrl). Click ctrl and X together to cut, then ctrl and V to paste (select ‘as photo’), and they will be together. That can be copied (ctrl C) and pasted into a post on here.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greekcoin21 said:

Can anyone help what’s the best app. Software for combining obverse and reverse of a coin photo into one photo.

It's not a matter of what software to use, it's a matter of picking a photo editing software and learning how to use it. Any photo editing software worth its salt should allow you to copy multiple images into a blank canvas, arrange those images respective to one another, and save the output. It's one of the most basic requirements of a photo editing software. So there's not really any "best" software for this, hence the variety of responses.

My advice is to pick one piece of software, whether paid or free, whether a desktop app or online, and learn how to use it. I wouldn't waste too much time trying multiple different photo editing apps for this, they should all be about as easy as one another.

MS Paint certainly works. GIMP is a good alternative to Photoshop if you don't want to pay for Photoshop but both can be intimidating if you're not familiar with them. I use Photoshop myself when doing my high quality photos but otherwise I use https://pixlr.com/ because it's free, easy to use, and web-based so you can use it anywhere. No offence to John but please don't use Word. You can sort of do it in Word but it's the wrong tool for the job and has virtually no functionality for this kind of thing.

One nice thing about Pixlr is that you can easily set the file size when saving the image in case you have to upload the image somewhere that has a file size limit. 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

I use the merge tool on IMGonline.com.ua. Very easy. Either before or after, I remove the background on the removebg website. 

Does Paint still come with Windows 11? I used it all the time with Windows 7, but haven't noticed it on the new PC I bought early this year. Just curious -- the website I use seems much simpler for this purpose, with only a couple of steps required 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I use the merge tool on IMGonline.com.ua. Very easy. Either before or after, I remove the background on the removebg website. 

Does Paint still come with Windows 11? I used it all the time with Windows 7, but haven't noticed it on the new PC I bought early this year. Just curious -- the website I use seems much simpler for this purpose, with only a couple of steps required 

My computer, which I bought in 2010, is running the Windows 10 Home edition. I think my computer came with Windows 8 or Windows 9, but I upgraded it for free, when Windows said that they would no longer support older versions of Windows with bug fixes for virus threats. My computer has Microsoft Paint. I can access Microsoft Paint, from the Windows Start menu, by clicking on the "Windows Accessories" folder, which reveals various old school tools such as Microsoft Paint, and Microsoft Notepad (which is my favorite tool for documents, because it's so fast, and it supports very large text files). I keep links to Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Notepad, among other things, pinned on my Windows toolbar. In the Windows Start menu, there is also "Paint 3D", which may be a Microsoft product, but I had forgotten about it, until just now, when I was looking at the Windows Start menu. I may have tried Paint 3D a couple of times, but I don't remember if it's better than Microsoft Paint, or if it's slower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

@Steppenfool - very nice. I need to look for a Windows alternative because I like the reflections. A lot. 

I use a method that is very simple for me (I am sure there are even simpler ways, but I am accustomed to this and I do it every time I buy a new coin and add it in my personal catalogue). 

First, after I take the pictures with my camera, I download them in my PC. So I have 2 pictures, the obverse and the reverse. 

I open the obverse in my JPG viewing software (I use IrfanView), zoom in/out as needed and I use Snipping Tool  (inbuilt in Windows 10) to cut the relevant area of the pic.

I open a MS Paint session and I paste it. Then I do the same with the reverse picture - open it in IrfanView, cut the relevant area, paste it in Paint and align the 2 photos one near the other, making sure the "coins" are the same size. Check the part I highlighted in bold. It is very important as you do not want a picture of obverse/reverse but different size. 

After I do this I download the result, which should be a photo with both sides, correctly aligned. 

I go to the website remove.bg and choose the background I like. I save the final result. 

Here is what I did with the coin posted by @ominus1

image.png.b2dbd32937dd0df0ac71718a111a598d.png

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1