Great Collections Sells the 1st PCGS Slab

Al Kowsky

I know NVMIS FORVMS members will be excited to read this (just kidding 🤣), but yesterday the very first prototype of a PCGS slab sold at Great Collections for $46,125.00 😮! The slab was invented by a founding member, John Dannreuther, & housed a 1982-D quarter with no collector value 🙄, see photo & link below.

PCGSPrototypeSlabG.C..jpg.af646538ec7fdad8f4d86e82248ec4c6.jpg

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1400020/The-First-PCGS-Encapsulated-Coin-1982-D-Washington-Quarter-OGH-Rattler-Witter-Coin-University-2023-Charity-Auction

All proceeds of this lot were donated to Witter Coin University, an affiliate of PCGS that teaches young collectors about numismatics. One of the flaws visible with this slab & many other early slabs is they don't always sit in the center pocket correctly. If the center pocket is oversized the coin will move about loosely, & some collectors have affectionally labeled these coins "rattlers". Pictured below is typical rattler. 

PCGS1941DimeRattler.jpg.c57791b458950b896582c88d166c5485.jpg

Strange as it may seem, many collectors will pay a premium for these flawed holders, something I fail to understand 🤨. I've seen this flaw on NGC slabs too, but not as frequently as PCGS slabs. 

• Like 7
  • Mind blown 2

If the trend of restricting private ownership of ancient objects, including coins continues one day we will have to bid for

‘Highly important collection of early NGC/PCGS labels, featuring provenances from A, B, C’

14 minutes ago, Rand said:

If the trend of restricting private ownership of ancient objects, including coins continues one day we will have to bid for

‘Highly important collection of early NGC/PCGS labels, featuring provenances from A, B, C’

The Eid Mar was in an NGC holder... I wonder if the Greeks cracked it out.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2
  • Cool Think 1

I simply can't comprehend that price for such an item.

If the bidder(s) intended it just as an interesting way to donate to the program, I can get that. But I suspect not.

Does anyone know if this has ever gone up for auction before?

Sometimes I think that the hobby, or parts of it, have gone mad.

• Smile 1
  • Yes 1

19 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

The Eid Mar was in an NGC holder... I wonder if the Greeks cracked it out.

Unless the aureus was found in the slab, this valuable slab should have remained in the US.

• Smile 3
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 6

• Benefactor

Okay, this thread has inspired me to start my own slabbing service.  Here is my prototype.  Pretty catchy and the potential profits are infinite!  The machining is a bit crude, but as the dough rolls in from gullible people with lots and lots of money, refinements will be made. 

I think this slabbing service serves two very good purposes:  1) relieving people of burdensome wealth, and 2) slabbing an item that, in a pinch, can be cracked out of the slab and used as an effective cavity preventing dentifrice. 

FullCrest7-31-23.jpg.8fa0bfde49289e51c1ed46b4509d4aec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 3
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

Okay, this thread has inspired me to start my own slabbing service.  Here is my prototype.  Pretty catchy and the potential profits are infinite!  The machining is a bit crude, but as the dough rolls in from gullible people with lots and lots of money, refinements will be made. 

I think this slabbing service serves two very good purposes:  1) relieving people of burdensome wealth, and 2) slabbing an item that, in a pinch, can be cracked out of the slab and used as an effective cavity preventing dentifrice. 

FullCrest7-31-23.jpg.8fa0bfde49289e51c1ed46b4509d4aec.jpg

I mean, that toothpaste is definitely in mint condition.

• Like 2
  • Smile 4
  • Smile 1

Third party grading for higher value (e.g., $5K+) ancient coins is likely to become as essential as PMG grading is for banknotes.

The current NGC slabs have a long way to go towards what a good 'ancients' slab should be for people who may prefer to keep their coins in slabs after purchase. Reducing the slab's size for the numerous denarii, aurei, and solidi is long overdue.  

The grading scales need to be refined as well.

I hope PCGS moves to the ancient coin segment.

Edited by Rand
  • Like 1