Show me your Modern Fakes!

Harry G

• Benefactor
On 7/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, Limes said:

Two fakes (insert cry emoticon), which fooled me. Fortunately more experienced members of the community were kind enough to inform me, and helped me on my quest. Great people! Both coins were compensated for. The denarius of Drusus was quite a recent purchase. 

DrususHA.jpg.e38c9020147b045af306a4701277ee65.jpg

Hadrian_fake_yesorno.jpg.6c621297402ec1030cc689fb36af3b59.jpg

out of curiosity what was the key attribute in the Drusus that indicated a fake? To me the wear is uneven, looks possibly tooled. 

I’m not that familiar with the Drusus denarius other than I do have an option to buy one that is in much better condition (however it does have provenance as being sold in a reputable auction if that means anything anymore).

33 minutes ago, Egry said:

out of curiosity what was the key attribute in the Drusus that indicated a fake? To me the wear is uneven, looks possibly tooled. 

I’m not that familiar with the Drusus denarius other than I do have an option to buy one that is in much better condition (however it does have provenance as being sold in a reputable auction if that means anything anymore).

It appeared to be a match with this fake one, posted on Forum. Our knowledgable member @maridvnvm pointed it out, and without him I would have never noticed it because of the applied wear on my issue. He made a gif of the reverse, showing the match. I hope he won't mind me sharing it here. 

drusus.gif.a6bdf56abf1f74f88f34bf10f1e53141.gif

You might look at the photos of the fake issue shown on Forum, and compare it to the one you are offered. In that case, you can at least rule out that it's not a match. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jdmKY said:

Well, this thread has me concerned about my treasured hoard. This is supposed to be my retirement plan!

IMG_3002.jpeg.022062c86ff43bf8a1a7d86e388c26d9.jpeg

Cannot see the date on the coins - should have 43 BC - look suspicious 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Limes said:

It appeared to be a match with this fake one, posted on Forum. Our knowledgable member @maridvnvm pointed it out, and without him I would have never noticed it because of the applied wear on my issue. He made a gif of the reverse, showing the match. I hope he won't mind me sharing it here. 

drusus.gif.a6bdf56abf1f74f88f34bf10f1e53141.gif

You might look at the photos of the fake issue shown on Forum, and compare it to the one you are offered. In that case, you can at least rule out that it's not a match. 

This is a pic of the one I’m offered. Any thoughts? 

275-3(1).jpeg.585fcc4af820e12a54e24736fc1ca111.jpeg

• Like 3

• Benefactor

Thanks for a very thought provoking post, @Harry G

Whenever I hear about fake ancient coins I can’t help but wonder who is making them? Where are they being made? And,

What does the inside of a counterfeit ancient coin shop look like?

image.jpeg.81039fa9650c40184c4583675734a4d0.jpeg

Anyway, here are some real and fake ancients that always give me a chuckle. 

image.jpeg.8ff68e9e1253f503f22da30dcb0fe317.jpeg

• Like 4

Sold openly as an imitation of the very rare Charlemagne imperial portrait denier type. It looks pretty close in style and is made of silver.

Charlemagne, Carolingian Empire
AR denier (modern imitation)
Obv: KAROLVS IMP AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, M below
Rev: XPICTIANA RELIGIO:, temple façade
Mint: Mainz
Date minted: 812-814 AD (authentic examples)

0CDB439F-A3A3-49DF-A6FE-B98C3608B9F4.jpeg.b99213d06788bf63180fe964ee2c54c4.jpeg

Edited by ValiantKnight
  • Like 4