Leu wins thread

kirispupis

35 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

FWIW, I always pay Leu through wire. I'm not about to give them 3% or 5% more. I've purchased from them six times before (and won three coins at their latest auction) and have yet to have an issue. For FedEx delivery, I always choose a FedEx location about a mile from my house where I pick up the package.

Leu is one of three auction houses where I'll pay via wire because I've done enough business with them that I trust that - in the rare chance something happens - they'll reimburse me.

I'm honestly not sure how many numismatic packages I've received over the last three years, but it's probably 150-200. Most of those were from Europe. To date (knocking some wood as I type) only one of those packages was lost and it was USPS sent without tracking. I've never not received an international package, nor have I not received a package with tracking. I've had a number of close calls, but eventually it's gotten here...

I've had 497 deliveries in total. One was lost - $5 of coins sent regular post from an eBayer in Armenia - and another - about $200 of coins - has been stuck in export permit hell for a year and a half. I could get my money back on both without needing to resort to the card issuer.

• Like 3

• Benefactor

BTW, back on the subject of "Leu wins", I'm super-excited to receive the coins I won at their last auction. I went after three coins and won all three, though I had to pay dearly.

Still, even though they're not "sexy" and will only impress collectors of ugly Greek bronzes, they're major acquisitions in my opinion and are important building blocks in achieving a respectable collection.

I can't wait to share them. Those who know me well may have a very good idea which one I'm most excited about. 🙂

• Like 5

• Benefactor

Leu has now agreed to give me an actual refund via bank transfer rather than merely a credit. I have requested that if possible they do it via Wise or a similar entity rather than directly through the banks, to avoid the high fees, poor exchange rate, and delays attendant upon the latter method. A situation in which Wise has all the advantages over a traditional international wire!

Despite my frustrated kvetching about Wise and Leu, I agree that it makes sense to use Wise for anything more than minimal international purchases, from reputable dealers and auction houses who can be trusted to refund one's money should a package be lost. Which has only happened to me twice out of all my international auction purchases: this time with Leu, and once with Cayon & Subastas in Spain when a number of US purchasers at the same auction, including me, had their packages disappear and their payments refunded. I consider both houses to be reputable, and it appears that both can be trusted to give refunds for lost or stolen packages -- albeit after lengthy delays! I didn't use Wise for a lost Lucilla denarius that I bought at retail from Kölner Münzkabinett, but they refunded my money as well.

I'd still much rather have the coins, though! 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Never using Wise is probably a false economy. If you buy through Leu, a credit card costs 3% more than Wise, usually plus a worse exchange rate. If that's typical, paying by card means you expect the package to be lost once every 33 times or more and not to be compensated. For major auction houses, or even minor ones, that's very unlikely. I doubt even one in 33 packages is lost, and almost all that are lost are compensated (eventually). Leu even charge you for insurance, so you are going to get your money back buying through them.

Even paying by card it isn't guaranteed to get your money back - the seller can dispute your claim and you have to provide proof.

Yes and no, depending on the value of the package… In regards to PP and CC: in the situations where i had to get my money back CC and PP ALWAYS delivered, even in the instances where purchases were made more than a year ago…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Benefactor

Thankfully, I received the refund from Leu today via Wise, in the amount of $1,470.57 for a $1,326.60 CHF credit (including a refund of my payments for shipping & insurance). I then had to pay another 39 cents ($0.39) to transfer the money from Wise to my US bank account! The transaction was almost certainly a lot faster, and less expensive, than an ordinary international bank transfer would have been. I do still very much regret the loss of the coins, though.

• Like 4
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 2

• Benefactor

I am just small chump change for Leu.  Over the years I've spent a little over 35,000 CHF (which is a lot to me but I understand means nothing to some).  One package was lost and they refused to refund, the other was damaged due to incredibly poor packaging (which they blamed on customs).  I dont look at their auctions anymore, and likely wont. 

• Like 1
  • Cry 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor
2 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

I am just small chump change for Leu.  Over the years I've spent a little over 35,000 CHF (which is a lot to me but I understand means nothing to some).  One package was lost and they refused to refund, the other was damaged due to incredibly poor packaging (which they blamed on customs).  I dont look at their auctions anymore, and likely wont. 

I've spent a lot less than that over the years. I'm very sorry that happened. It's really too bad that the US Post Office falsely claimed that your lost package had been delivered, letting Leu off the hook. I'm very fortunate that in my case the Post Office admitted that the package was actually lost.  

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Wow! I have not posted in this thread for the simple reason that I've never purchased any coins directly from Leu.  I do have some with attributions to Leu as part of a provenience, but that's it.

Regarding Donna's lost coins, I am glad the the issue was finally resolved satisfactorily.  It is always very disappointing when expectations are not met.  I've had my share of mishaps that I've posted in the past. 

The lesson that I learned is that, except for very inexpensive coins, it always best to have shipment done by a firm such as DHL at the highest level available.  However, this is not always possible for various reasons.  Indeed, I am awaiting an order placed on July 3rd from a seller in Israel.  That order is finally being shipped, first class international - another roll of the dice.  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3

• Benefactor
9 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I've spent a lot less than that over the years. I'm very sorry that happened. It's really too bad that the US Post Office falsely claimed that your lost package had been delivered, letting Leu off the hook. I'm very fortunate that in my case the Post Office admitted that the package was actually lost.  

I've used a P.O. Box for the last 35 years for security.  Some years ago they introduced something called(?) Signature Service (or something similar).  They have my signature on file and instead of me standing in line for 45 minutes they just deliver it to my box.  It worked flawlessly for a long time until that package disappeared.  I now think that what happed is that they put it into the wrong box and whoever got it decided to steal it instead of returning it.  Thats my best guess, and just yesterday I got an Amazon shipment in my box for someone else, so I guess it happens frequently.  I'm still miffed with Leu though as they said their insurance would cover it.  I even had to sign a document stating it wasnt received and fax it back to them.  Still nothing.  Live and learn!

• Like 4
  • Shock 1