A COIN, A DEATH AND THE END OF AN EMPIRE....CHARLES XII OF SWEDEN

ominus1

Just got this daler in today..it comes for Portugal from a favorite ebay seller and this completes the coinage of a time when Sweden was a great power and there were still warrior-kings. Charles Xll spent most of his reign fighting and was killed by while inspecting trenches in 1718 (because of rumors of assassination, they exhumed his body 3 different times to figure out where the shot came from)...with his death came the end of Sweden being considered a great power. .this coin was emergency money issued in copper and silver between 1715-1719, but was used as money for a considerable period after that time.. they are neat coins and have several themes...this one features Jupiter with an eagle obverse..23mm and 3.75gms

Post away Peeps..:)

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

200px-CharlesXIIAutopsy1916 (1).jpg

• Like 16

Yipes, that's one heckuva hole; thank you, I'd rather it was from battle (like, a 58 caliber musket, or whatever) than an assassination, which would likely mess up the whole room.

I vividly remember these emergency dalers, from a very good numismatic overview that I checked out (repeatedly) as a kid.  Can't recall ever seeing one on the market.  The book had plates of several of the types, though, and they were all cool.  Congratulations on finding all of them! 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

The only numismatic item that I have of Charles XII is this plate money, not exactly a coin though.  Vending machines back then must have been very robust! 

Sweden, half dalder, copper plate money, 1716.

371.51 grams

Swedenhalfdaldercopperplatemoney1716371.51gRoma9317022-14-22.jpg.eea95242f7b13709071a11d4a0799b57.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have one to add as well. In addition I have 3 denominations of plate money but no images at the moment. 

image.jpeg.5db5fd46830e4da44d77215709bc54fc.jpeg

Obverse: Warrior with sword and shield with the three crowns of Sweden, date below.
Lettering:
WETT OCH WAPEN
Reverse: Value in shield supported by a lion. At sides arms and flags, below two crossed cornucopias
Lettering:
I.
DALER
S.M

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Charles XII was the King who should have gotten title "the Great" not Peter I. Charles had to take on five adversaries. He destroyed the first four/ then the Russians at Narva. By 1709 at the Ukrainian  place called Poltava/ he lost by attrition/ extended supply lines and fighting battle after battle. Friedrich II "Der Grosse" faced even bigger odds but won by skill and a little luck that Czarina Elizabeth croaked when Russian cossaks were rampaging Berlin. Her son Peter III made Peace with Prussia and left Friedrich to finish off Austrian/ French armies.

Sweden

Charles XII

AV 1/2 Dukat 1701

Stockholm Mint

e08994a9b6172224a075a38980157659.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, panzerman said:

Charles XII was the King who should have gotten title "the Great" not Peter I. Charles had to take on five adversaries. He destroyed the first four/ then the Russians at Narva. By 1709 at the Ukrainian  place called Poltava/ he lost by attrition/ extended supply lines and fighting battle after battle. Friedrich II "Der Grosse" faced even bigger odds but won by skill and a little luck that Czarina Elizabeth croaked when Russian cossaks were rampaging Berlin. Her son Peter III made Peace with Prussia and left Friedrich to finish off Austrian/ French armies.

Sweden

Charles XII

AV 1/2 Dukat 1701

Stockholm Mint

e08994a9b6172224a075a38980157659.jpg

...Beautiful...