Free Tetradrachm - Round 2

Sulla80

That was clearly, too easy so I will have to make this more of a competition.  With this coin a complete attribution is not needed to win, only the name the goddess on this coin.  However, to win will need a reason why you are interested in the coin.  The winner of this coin will be the one whose response has most "likes" six hours from now.

image.png.b194dff363f701392d4b5725406e4d9f.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6

I'm guessing Diocletian and Dikaiosyne, year 2.

By the time I had risen, done the weekly reboot and checke in here, the original was over with.

The most intriguing part of this coin is: why is it so worn?  Seven years, the time from this coin's production to the overhaul, wouldn't explain it.  It must have continued on, for a time.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I think the "worn" appearance of your coin is likely due to a somewhat weak strike, especially for the obverse, possibly a worn obverse die and the inherent granular surfaces resulting from the highly debased metal, accentuated by centuries buried in a hoard.  Actually the reverse is quite decent and overall the centering is very good

• Like 3

• Sulla80 changed the title to Free Tetradrachm - Round 2

I love the coins of Syracuse and do not have any this late in the game. Add to that the fact that Diocletian was a believer in the old gods and a visionary that helped save Rome... even if some of his visionary plans failed on their first outing. 

The goddess is Aequitas weighing her options amongst all the Augustii and Caesars from Diocletian's Tetrarchy.

Screenshot_20230602_192953_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Gasp 1

6 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I'm guessing Diocletian and Dikaiosyne, year 2.

By the time I had risen, done the weekly reboot and checke in here, the original was over with.

The most intriguing part of this coin is: why is it so worn?  Seven years, the time from this coin's production to the overhaul, wouldn't explain it.  It must have continued on, for a time.

Well - I lost track of time, but it looks like @Nerosmyfavorite68 is the owner of coin #2.  Diocletian and Dikaiosyne is the right answer (regnal year 2)

image.png.21bfd33a6d7a7a72c91fb9dac9579d95.png

Egypt, Alexandria, Diocletian, 284–305, Tetradrachm, minted in regnal year B = 2 (AD 285/6)

Obv: A K Γ OVAΛ ΔIOKΛHTIANOC CEB Laureate bust right

Rev: Dikaiosyne standing left, holdings scale and cornucopia; across field L-B

PM to let me know where to ship it.  Congrats, S.

@Ryro gets honorable mention for the scary image of Saturn devouring his child, a painting by Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes in the Prado, Madrid.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

The coin arrived safely today. It looks much better in person - it's quite pleasant, with glossy black-ish surfaces.  Many thanks to Sulla80 for the generous and fun contest.  I can now claim the honor of having an ex-Sulla80 coin!

There is a Japanese word/concept "Osusowake" (おすそわけ), that is about distributing goods or benefits that you receive to your friends or others.  It is a concept of "sharing" that pairs nicely with community and knowledge sharing.  Perhaps a butterfly can effect more than tornadoes (see Lorenz 1972).  Best wishes.

• Yes 1
  • Smile 2