Curiosity killed the cat: Stange (medieval?) coin in a group lot

TheTrachyEnjoyer

78894963-5DB2-4DD6-B614-F0E6FBF510A3.jpeg.6bed3614ec71ddfeb3b6dd8586811de8.jpeg

This strange piece showed up in a group lot. I only noticed it one minute before hammer and so had no time to identify…the lot ended up going for $300, a bit more than I was willing to gamble. Sadly no photo of the reverse was shared. 

What is this coin? Should I be kicking myself for passing it up? As they say, curiosity killed the cat and I hope this will not become a lot I seriously regret passing up.

My initial guesses would be an Anglo Saxon pre-penny issue, possibly also frisian or Merovingian in origin. It could be silver that is deeply toned or even a fourree AU issue

Edited by TheTrachyEnjoyer
  • Like 2

• TheTrachyEnjoyer changed the title to Curiosity killed the cat: Stange (medieval?) coin in a group lot
52 minutes ago, Roerbakmix said:

I believe most Venetian grosso were 20-21 mm; which would make the coin of interest fairly large for a tremissis. That having said, I do vaguely recognize it as such. 

I wonder …could it perhaps be a gilt broach imitation of some roman or Byzantine coin? Seemingly it isnt a standard coin issue. Sadly we probably wont find out unless someone here bought the lot…

• Like 2

Typically listed as silk road imitations for potential burial.  There were several different types, but I don't know if they were ever documented.  You can search acsearch.info under that name if you want to find similar pieces. Here is one of mine that I purchased a while ago:

image.png.663a4d373a2ed7bcf93313802cd8bd1b.png

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, quant.geek said:

Typically listed as silk road imitations for potential burial.  There were several different types, but I don't know if they were ever documented.  You can search acsearch.info under that name if you want to find similar pieces. Here is one of mine that I purchased a while ago:

image.png.663a4d373a2ed7bcf93313802cd8bd1b.png

Mystery solved. Thank you 😁

• Like 1